Orcs riding horses?

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Erunáme

Orcs riding horses?

Post by Erunáme »

I play Lord of the Rings Online, which I believe you all are familiar with as it's been mentioned here. Whilst it generally respects the lore, obviously it doesn't always and some diversions are worse than others.

The game will soon be moving into Rohan so things are getting very horsey. Characters will now be able to fight on horseback, so the company Turbine have made mounted enemies as well. We're all familiar with warg riders of course (Lotro has had those since for a long time) but soon Lotro will be having orcs and uruks riding horses. For example:

more information: http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/1775/2173 ... n-warbands

I believe those are Saruman's uruks that are depicted there.

This just looks... wrong to me and others are questioning it as well. People are wondering what is in the books regarding this subject. One person offered this:
'Then you do not pay tribute to Sauron?' said Gimli.

'We do not and we never have.' said Éomer with a flash of his eyes; 'though it comes to my ears that that lie has been told. Some years ago the Lord of the Black Land wished to purchase horses of us at great price, but we refused him. for he puts beasts to evil use. Then he sent plundering Orcs, and they carry off what they can, choosing always the black horses: few of these are now left. For that reason our feud with the Orcs is bitter.'
It seems that the Turbine has use this as an opening to allow any of Sauron's minions to ride horses. I'm not sure how they can justify having Saruman's uruks ride them.

I'm wondering if Tolkien wrote anything else about this? He wrote about warg riders and of course humans having mounts (horses or even oliphaunts.) I'm thinking Turbine is taking advantage of there not being something explicitly saying that orcs do not ride horses in order to make something new for the game. It certainly wouldn't be the first time they've done it. They do stretch the lore often, but usually it's tolerable... in a revisionist sort of way. :P But this feels like it might be flat out wrong, so I came here to see what more knowledgeable people have to say! :P
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I think this is a logical step based on the larger stature of the Uruk-hai compared to the Goblins and Orcs who were much smaller and rode Wargs.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I can't think of anything else off hand in which Tolkien described Orcs or Uruks riding horses riding horses, but I can't say it bothers me too much.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Uruks riding horses riding horses
I know its a typo, but I have to admit that image gave me a giggle. ;)
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

I see. I guess I stand corrected then.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

You know what, though? When I read that line about raids taking black horses in the books, I assumed those horses were only going to be for the Nazgûl -- I never thought orcs would be riding them.....

Funny how clearly I remember thinking that, too!
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

It's one of those things that makes perfect sense and yet looks and feels funky.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Alatar wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Uruks riding horses riding horses
I know its a typo, but I have to admit that image gave me a giggle. ;)
I'm glad I can amuse you! It is a pretty funny image, isn't it?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I didn't give it much thought but I recall my hazy assumption was the same as Teremia's, that the horses were meant for the Nazgûl. However, when one thinks about it logically, how many black horses could the Nazgûl need? There are only 9 of them, after all...

The idea of orcs on horseback is counter-intuitive, though it might be considered convenient...use them for transportation and then, when you get hungry, fresh meat. :scarey:
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I had assumed horses were for the Nazgûl, too. :help:

But Sauron had lots of other non-Orcish humanoid henchcreatures. Mouth of Sauron was riding a horse, for one.

Orcs on horses doesn't seem right to me because I imagine horses would be terrified of them, and of Wargs. But I suppose the Nazgûl are no less scary.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I assumed they were for the Nazgûl, also.

Orcs on horses doesn't feel right, but that could be just because I've never pictured them that way. Kind of like a balrog with wings. ;)
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I would agree wrt the Moria and Mordor Orcs since they are described as being smaller. The Orc that stabbed Frodo in Moria was "a great brutish Orc, almost man-high" (quoting from memory, so apologies if that's not exactly correct). I always got the impression that Saruman's Uruk-hai were taller and stronger than the standard Orc. Based on that, I suppose I could see Uruks riding horses, but not Orcs or Goblins. Although, of course even "almost man high" would assume somewhere between 5 and 6 feet, and plenty of people that height ride horses.

Worth thinking about anyway! Thanks for bringing a new Tolkien topic up for discussion Eruname!
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Frelga wrote:I had assumed horses were for the Nazgûl, too. :help:

But Sauron had lots of other non-Orcish humanoid henchcreatures. Mouth of Sauron was riding a horse, for one.

Orcs on horses doesn't seem right to me because I imagine horses would be terrified of them, and of Wargs. But I suppose the Nazgûl are no less scary.
Ditto.
Alatar wrote:The Orc that stabbed Frodo in Moria was "a great brutish Orc, almost man-high" (quoting from memory, so apologies if that's not exactly correct). I always got the impression that Saruman's Uruk-hai were taller and stronger than the standard Orc.
Generally speaking, I believe that many of the orcs we encounter in LOTRO are much larger than Tolkien intended. I suppose, however, that the developers feel it necessary to make the orcs, Uruks in particular, larger so that they appear to be more fearsome.

Placing the Uruks on horses is, I believe, no more than a convention for the sake of gameplay. They need to have more powerful foes among the mounted orcish warbands. Remember, too, that dwarf and hobbit players will be riding "war-ponies". That's not exactly loreworthy. If you recall, Théoden wouldn't allow Merry to ride Stybba into battle due to his stature/inability to keep up with the Riders on horseback.