Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Lali, it's hard to tell from the pic, but it looked like one face in profile, and just the mouth showing of another face in 3/4 behind it.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Beth and I on North Dome, in front of Half Dome (just to prove that we really were there).

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Lookin' good, you two. :love:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

We do look pretty good, don't we? Of course, the background helps.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

What a great picture! :love:

narya, I could see the one face right away. :)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Yay! :) :love:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Beth and I on North Dome, in front of Half Dome (just to prove that we really were there).

Oh my, such a lovely couple. :love:
Voronwë the Faithful

Thank you, Dennis!
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

An atypical view of Nevada Falls, late in the season with minimal water. That's the view when leaning over from the top. And yes, they do have a sturdy handrail.

And just in case you thought it was small, here is Nevada Falls with yet another view of the Icon. Nevada Falls is about 600 feet tall.

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Voronwë the Faithful

:love:
Voronwë the Faithful

Bear at Yosemite (photo by Beth):

samaranth

Post by samaranth »

A bear! Wonderful!

These are all fabulous pictures. I do love this thread. :)
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm glad someone appreciated our bear!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

That's a wonderful shot of the bear, V - how far away was it?

I remember sauronsfinger saying he saw a bear on one of his morning runs whilst staying in Yosemite a few years ago. He said it was romping in a meadow...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

It's hard for me to estimate; maybe a 100 feet? Far enough that it wasn't threatening, but close enough that we could see it well.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Just the right distance, then! :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Exactly!
samaranth

Post by samaranth »

A couple of years ago we were travelling in Canada and I dearly wanted to see a bear. We saw evidence of bears on trees (big scratch marks), people we spoke with assured us 'oh yes, there are bears around here', I saw intriguing bear-proof rubbish bins, and millions of bear images in souvenir shops. But no bears, at least in the wild. On our last day in Vancouver we went up Grouse Mountain, and saw two orphan bears, who came right up close to the fence of their enclosure and sat (conveniently) to have their photos taken. At last! Bears!

I really envy you having seen a bear sunning itself in its own habitat. :)
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

Another Yosemite pic. This one is at the bottom of Vernal Falls.

And here's the rest of the falls - all 317 feet (97m).

If you want to see Vernal and Nevada Falls in their full glory, though, you have to see them in the spring, when the Mist Trail lives up to its name. Or visit this great site:

http://www.yosemitehikes.com/yosemite-v ... -trail.htm

This site also has free wallpaper for your computer. :love:
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Very beautiful, Narya.

I should have taken some time to visit wilderness areas when I visited the US. Six weeks just didn't seem enough for everything and everyone I wanted to see, though.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.