The Environmental Vision of J.R.R Tolkien

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
TolkienJRR

The Environmental Vision of J.R.R Tolkien

Post by TolkienJRR »

Amazing book on Tolkiens environmental themes in his works.

https://www.amazon.com/Ents-Elves-Eriad ... 963&sr=8-1
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Environmental Vision of J.R.R Tolkien

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I definitely second that! Dickerson's book is wonderful.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
TolkienJRR

Re: The Environmental Vision of J.R.R Tolkien

Post by TolkienJRR »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I definitely second that! Dickerson's book is wonderful.

Perhaps the thing I loved best about Tolkien is his love of nature in a way constant with Christianity. In fact Christianity was the justification for his "environmental vision." The authors book on Lewis is good as well. I watched the movies before i read the books. What made me a permanent Tolkien junkie was watching the ents on the big screen destroy Isengard. Since than I have had a unhealthy obsession with Tolkien :help: .

To me the ideal lifestyle would be that of the shire. Rural, organic, small farming community.
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien