The challenges ahead (Biden's America)

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The challenges ahead (Biden's America)

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

True enough. Even though moderate Democrats are willing to support very some significant Progressive policies , and none of the Republicans are willing to support any.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

This could be good news:
After the Congressional Progressive Caucus meeting today, chairwoman Pramila Jayapal (D-WA) told reporters that the group is scaling back its demands. To get their votes on the bipartisan infrastructure bill, she said, they need to see the legislative text of the reconciliation bill and to get a promise from President Joe Biden that he has all 50 Senate votes to pass it.

Previously, Jayapal had been insisting on back-to-back votes — the better to ensure that Sens. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) and Joe Manchin (D-WV) don’t see the bipartisan bill out the door then leave reconciliation to fail.
Remember, Biden said months ago that he wouldn't sign one bill without the other, so this is a big compromise by the Progressives in the House.
Voronwë the Faithful

Yet now that the text of the bill has been released, they appear to be changing their tune again.
In conversations with progressives, one source told CNN that the text just released of the Build Back Better Act does not change anything because progressives still want the “Senate to act.”

Another progressive aide told CNN that progressives wanted a vote earlier, not just text.

A third aide said progressives still want both bills to pass at the same time.
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... b3485ba001
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

They are apparently going to put out a resolution saying that they support the framework, and will work to pass both bills together, but they will vote down the infrastructure bill if a vote on it is brought first. So basically their strategy remains unchanged.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... 8704ae7dc6

In other news, criminal charges are being filed against Andrew Cuomo.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/cr ... d=msedgntp
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

It's a whirlwind. Rep. Ilhan Omar seems to be on board. Rep. Cori Bush says she is not.

Meanwhile, reportedly there are nine Democrats in the House who are a "hard no" on the infrastructure bill (which passed the Senate months ago) but ten Republicans who would vote yes. There are currently 220 Democrats, 212 Republicans, and 3 vacancies in the House, so 217 are needed to pass. Since 220-(9+10)=221, if Pelosi is willing to pass the bill with Republican votes, it could happen regardless of the reconciliation bill.
Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful

And they've punted again.
Voronwë the Faithful

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Beau had some words for Senator Manchin.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

That's the angriest I have ever heard and seen Beau.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

He was upset about something else not too long ago.. I think it had to do with a racist question/comment. He was so annoyed I didn't think he was going to sign off with 'Have a good day'. I wish I could recall which video it was. He was also annoyed in a recent video about hard right twisting the 'White Rose' organization for purposes that were counter to their mission. He doesn't get visibly angry often.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Rep. Pramila Jayapal, the leader of the House progressive caucus, yesterday seemed unfazed by Sen. Manchin's comments. Per CNN reporter Manu Raju:
Jayapal just told me "at this point," she expects the entire 96-member progressive caucus will vote for both bills.

"No means no and yes means yes. We’ve said we want both those together that we weren't going to be able to vote for a BIF vote. Twice people didn’t believe us."

She added: "Twice we showed that we meant it. Now I’m saying I'm saying yes means yes. I’m going to deliver the whole CPC."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I agree with Jon Favreau that President Biden should use "Let's Go Brandon!" in a speech.

It worked for "Yankee Doodle."
Voronwë the Faithful

I could totally see Biden doing that, with a twinkle in his eye.

I have been critical of progressives at certain points through this protracted process (despite the fact that my views align more closely with them than any other group), but at this point, I've about had it with Manchin. What Beau doesn't point out in that video is just how hypocritical Manchin's position of demanding a vote on the hard infrastructure bill while reserving judgment on the Build Back Better framework because he questions how it is being paid for, when in fact the CBO has already stated that the infrastructure bill is NOT fully paid for. He is just playing politics, and badly at that. As for Sinema, I just don't have any words.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

For the first time in history, the Dow Jones Industrial Average today closed above 36,000.

That's about double its value five years ago.
Voronwë the Faithful

I seem to recall the former president claiming that the rising stock market was a sign of how great a president he was. So by that standard ... .
Voronwë the Faithful

Oft hope is born,
when all is forlorn.
-- J.R.R. Tolkien
Voronwë the Faithful

Jayapal says House progressives ready to 'pass both bills' without commitment from Manchin and Sinema
"I'm letting the President have those conversations," Jayapal said Monday, when asked if she was negotiating with Manchin to get him closer to a deal. "The President came to the caucus and assured us that he would get 51 votes in the Senate for this deal that he has been negotiating with Senator Manchin and Senator Sinema."
She has more faith than I do that Biden will be able to get Manchin and Sanders to agree on anything.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

In what superficially appears to be a dig at Joe Biden, former South Carolina governor and U.N. ambassador Nikki Haley said in a new interview that anyone over a certain age who holds a high public office should be required to take a cognitive ability test.

But she added "just like you have to show your tax returns."

I think she's awful, but I don't think she's stupid, so she has to know that Donald Trump never released his returns.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I cannot imagine such a thing working out well for frankly something like half of the most public figures in her party. But maybe she gets that too.