2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: 2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

Post by elengil »

:rofl:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Dave_LF wrote:Can you order a recount before the first count is done?
My understanding is that this what is called a "risk limiting audit" that is not being done in response to the Trump campaign's request for a recount (even though it is being done in response to the Trump campaign's request for a recount). It is being done before the results are certified. Then, after the results are certified, the losing side can request a recount, but that will not be a hand recount, that will be a machine scan recount.
Follow-up question: if "hand recount" means what I assume it does, will it even be possible to complete such a thing before electors must be appointed in less than a month? The machine-assisted count has already dragged on longer than a week.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

They claim it will be done by November 20. We'll see.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Delaware just became the first state to officially certify its results. One down, fifty to go.

This is the fifth U.S. Presidential election I've followed, but it's the first time I've actually had to pay attention to all the steps between the result being called by the networks and the inauguration.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Dave, I think the first count in GA was slowed by processing ballots. Now that they've got all of that squared away it should go faster.

Túrin, usually no one cares much about what goes down between the results being called and Inauguration Day because usually we don't have a candidate spewing frivolous lawsuits and generally having a tantrum.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

River wrote:Dave, I think the first count in GA was slowed by processing ballots. Now that they've got all of that squared away it should go faster.
But the first count was done with machines scanning the ballots. This "audit" needs to be done by hand. It is an immense and extremely time-consuming and expensive process, which is not being paid for the be the side that is forcing it to happen because it is not the official requested recount but rather the Republican Secretary of State bowing to pressure from his own party.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Túrin Turambar wrote:Delaware just became the first state to officially certify its results. One down, fifty to go.

This is the fifth U.S. Presidential election I've followed, but it's the first time I've actually had to pay attention to all the steps between the result being called by the networks and the inauguration.
Following Delaware's certification earlier today, Wyoming, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, and Vermont have now also done so.

In all six of those states, Trump's share of the vote went down from 2016 (by anywhere from 2% to 9%) and the total number of votes cast went up from 2016 (the range is 7%-16%). That's per Dave Wasserman of the Cook Political Report.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Seems to be a pattern: the Trump campaign's public statements allege wrongdoing, their court filings merely list things they find suspicious (and the replies by boards of election seems to show that the Trump campaign is just plain ignorant of the laws), and when questioned by judges, they admit that's all they've got.

Curiously, the Trump campaign appears to be focusing its attention on cities like Detroit and Philadelphia, but it actually appears that Biden's vote share in those places went down from what Clinton got in 2016. I wonder why the Trump campaign isn't questioning the results in the suburbs, where Biden's share went up?
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Dave_LF wrote:Can you order a recount before the first count is done?
My understanding is that this what is called a "risk limiting audit" that is not being done in response to the Trump campaign's request for a recount (even though it is being done in response to the Trump campaign's request for a recount). It is being done before the results are certified. Then, after the results are certified, the losing side can request a recount, but that will not be a hand recount, that will be a machine scan recount.

(The story that I linked to earlier has added these details.)
Apparently Georgia had always planned to conduct such an audit for one statewide race this year, so they've just gone ahead and decided it will be for the presidential vote, so it may not put them to any time and cost they weren't already going to expend.
Voronwë the Faithful

My understanding is that the audit that they had planned to do was on a random sample of ballots, not the full presidential vote.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/georgia-la ... BJAW6HERA/
The new count is technically Georgia’s first statewide elections audit, which had been planned for over a year. But instead of the audit using a random sample of ballots to test the accuracy of electronic tallies, Raffensperger expanded the audit to include every ballot cast.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:My understanding is that the audit that they had planned to do was on a random sample of ballots, not the full presidential vote.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/georgia-la ... BJAW6HERA/
The new count is technically Georgia’s first statewide elections audit, which had been planned for over a year. But instead of the audit using a random sample of ballots to test the accuracy of electronic tallies, Raffensperger expanded the audit to include every ballot cast.
Ah, I had missed that information. Thanks.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Do the publications questioning the lack of a concession not understand that there are recounts and court cases pending, and that it would make no sense for Trump to concede before these recounts and court cases reach their conclusions? Did Al Gore concede before his recount in a single state was concluded in the Supreme Court? That was one state and took 35 days to conclude, here there are several states involved. I think anyone in media talking about tantrums and dictatorships and failures to concede is making themselves look ridiculous and would be undermining their credibility if they had any left. This is a contested election. Who has ever conceded a contested election while it was being contested?
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Cerin - Every single election ever would be a "contested" election if the losing candidate behaved the way that Trump is behaving. Don't you realize that there are always places that could be recounted and suspicious activity that could be investigated? But most candidates do not behave this way, filing endless frivolous lawsuits, because most candidates respect democracy more than they care about winning.

Gore did not concede in 2000 because the difference in Florida was within a few hundred votes and a recount had a significant possibility of it changing the result. There is no such possibility today. Nobody sees any mathematical path that would allow Trump to win. Even if many of the recounts and lawsuits go Trump's way, it would still not change Biden's lead. Once things reach such a state of certainty, candidates concede. At least the candidates who care about the democratic process too.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

What yov said. The gap between Biden and Trump in every "contested" state is an order of magnitude or wider than the gap between Bush and Gore in Florida. Despite all the flak the Trump camp and their enablers are spewing, this thing is not and never was close. There's a reason every single lawsuit filed has been dismissed out of hand: when the campaign lawyers have to get up and defend their claims in an environment where there facts matter and lies come with consequences, they can't do it. The fact is Trump has once again lost the popular vote and this time he lost the Electoral College as well. He's fired. He has until Jan. 20, 2021 to pack his things.

ETA: Two sets of international election observers have found the 2020 election to be free and fair. They found the same for 2016.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

If there is one thing everyone should understand at this point, it's that the nation is divided. One half of the country sees things differently than the other half sees them. How you view the election and the lawsuits from your global elitist perspective (or however you would prefer to characterize your perspective -- liberal, leftist, woke, intelligent, enlightened, indubitably correct, etc.) is irrelevant; what is relevant is how the people contesting the election see the election and their claims. They will exhaust every avenue, because they believe the election was stolen. Until every avenue is exhausted, a concession makes no sense. And that's my very limited point. There is no point calling for concession until the people questioning the election are satisfied or have no remaining recourse.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

"Global elitists"...you a Bannonite, Cerin?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

"There is no point calling for concession until the people questioning the election are satisfied or have no remaining recourse."

The only reason "people" are questioning the election is because of the many, many false statements Trump has been saying. If Trump hadn't been spreading so many lies, there would be no questioning because there is nothing significant to question. Nothing.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

River wrote:"Global elitists"...you a Bannonite, Cerin?
Jews. It means Jews.

Just to clarify.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Frelga wrote:Jews. It means Jews.
It does not mean Jews. We had a discussion of this a short time ago, somewhere; Túrin succinctly characterized what is understood by the phrase, and anyone who is sincerely interested in understanding what is meant by this can take the time to scroll through some threads.