Civil Rights Icon John Lewis Passes Away

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Civil Rights Icon John Lewis Passes Away

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

We don't really have an appropriate thread for this, but it certainly should be reported.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/17/politics ... index.html
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Re: Civil Rights Icon John Lewis Passes Away

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I saw a suggestion that the Edmund Pettus Bridge should be renamed the John Lewis Bridge - I think it's a great idea.
Voronwë the Faithful

I signed a Change.org petition (which I virtually never do) to that effect. It just seems so right.

I can provide a link here if anyone is interested.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Please do.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Do those actually do anything except collect names for potential persecution?

I've been reading up on John Lewis. He was a badass. It is bitterly appropriate that the man who has been arrested and gravely injured leading protests left us just when Americans are being snatched from the streets in unmarked vans while voting rights are being attacked by all means available.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Frelga wrote:Do those actually do anything except collect names for potential persecution?
Not normally, no. I made a very rare exception in this case, because it is just too perfect.

For those who don't know that much about John Lewis, and want to know more, check the documentary John Lewis: Good Trouble.