Impeachment

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Impeachment

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I hadn't previously heard that.

https://www.businessinsider.com/yevgeny ... lex-2020-2

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Well, see, they're twins. They could swap name tags or something.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Targeting family members is an effective strategy.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Yep. Remember how the Bush Admin outed Valerie Plame because her husband annoyed them?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

To be 'fair', Yevgeny did participate in his brother's 'treason'. Just more behind the scenes. He was one of the NSC attorneys Alexander reported his concerns to.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

We can't have people telling the truth and reporting concerns of illegal behavior! That must be punished at all costs!! Who are you going to believe, Trump or your own eyes/intellect?

Napoleon ousts Snowball.

It's feeling more like 'Animal farm' all of the time.

They move gradually, step by step, all the while doing everything they can to confuse ... Orwell shows how humans can equally be deceived: a warning against being too trusting and gullible.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

So not only did he not learn a "lesson" or act more "cautious", he's actually just continuing right along with it
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/09/politics ... index.html

adding:
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/02 ... trump.html
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:So not only did he not learn a "lesson" or act more "cautious", he's actually just continuing right along with it
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/09/politics ... index.html

adding:
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/02 ... trump.html
But what does it matter? The President (this president) can do whatever he wants. There is no such thing as law or criminal behavior for this president. Who is going to hold him accountable? The Senate? The GOP? His 'following' that don't care if he lies or breaks the law? :roll:
Voronwë the Faithful

The most amazing thing is, as that Daily Intelligencer article acknowledges, is that this is the same Justice Department that is supposedly investigating Giuliani. How can there possibly be any semblance of confidence that the results of that investigation will be accurate with Barr overseeing it?
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm going to put this here rather than in the Russian investigation thread because of its connection to the previous posts.

DOJ set to lower Stone sentencing recommendation that was criticized by Trump

This is as terrifying as anything that I have seen.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

And two of the prosecutors have quit: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... e-n1134961

I don't know if they quit because they were possibly threatened or because they object to the sentencing being reduced. Voronwë, can you shed light on this?
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't think there's any way to know for sure, but I would guess the latter.

Voronwë the Faithful

All four of the prosecutors on the case have now withdrawn from the case.

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

:help:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I was going to ask you about this too V. It sounds simply terrifying. What the heck is happening to our country? How can one person cause so much havoc and hold the entire country hostage? (Looks at Xi.. Kim.. others..) :help: indeed.
Voronwë the Faithful

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

My gut tells me Barr says that as a cover up. In other words.. Trump & Barr are on the same page as to how they wanted things to play out in regards to Stone, but Trump commenting on their plans publicly is foolish. Barr perhaps isn't quite used to the 'I can shoot someone on 5th avenue and they'd still vote for me' getting away with proverbial murder attitude. Trump does not take well to suggestions, common sense, or legal direction. I can't imagine Trump will take Barr's words well.
Voronwë the Faithful

yov, this is why it would have been futile for the Democrats to wait to go through the court process to try to compel the administration to allow testimony and documents.

Appeals court says Don McGahn doesn't have to testify in major win for White House

Note that the two appellate court judges that decided not to compel McGahn's testimony did not say that they agree with the administrations claim of "absolute immunity". Rather they say that it is none of the courts' business to decide a dispute between Congress and the president.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I mean... just because they eventually lost that one doesn't mean there was no reason to ever try. You don't just give up because you think your chances aren't great. Doing that just guarantees a fail, which is what they got.

And now we have a courts opinion on the matter, which has value in itself, even if we don't like the ruling.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

You're missing the point. It's not that they lost. They didn't "lose" in the sense that they court said that they were wrong. Rather, the court said (as I predicted) that it was none of their business. So no, we do not have a court's "opinion" on the matter. We have a statement that the court should have no opinion on the matter.