Misconduct and bad behavior by elected officials

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
River
bioalchemist

Re: Misconduct and bad behavior by elected officials

Post by River »

The squickiest part is I'm not sure we'd even be talking about this is one of those prosecutors wasn't now a cabinet secretary.

Voronwë, my current impression is both parties will have to have new primaries and a new general. I think that, if Harris has even a scrap of honor left, he should sit it out and let the local Republicans pick someone who hasn't proved to be a cheat and a liar as their candidate.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yeah, but if he had a scrap of honor he wouldn't have done what he did in the first place.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

While they are technically not elected, this seemed like a good place for this:

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/437 ... -attending
TheHill.com
Former Democratic aide pleads guilty to doxing GOP senators attending Kavanaugh hearing

A former congressional Democratic staff member pleaded guilty on Friday to posting private information about Republican senators who took part in the hearings on sexual assault allegations against then-Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

Jackson Cosko, 27, pleaded guilty to two counts of making public restricted personal information and one count each of computer fraud, witness tampering and obstruction of justice, The Washington Post reported.

The five federal felony counts carry maximum penalties up to 20 years in prison. In accordance with a plea agreement, prosecutors said a sentencing range of 46 to 57 months applied under federal guidelines.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/20/politics ... index.html

Welp, never a day without some crazy, it seems. And of course, he invokes the President and claims all this is a sham because of course that is the go-to defense these days. Apparently you can get away with any crime so long as you can call the investigation into it a hoax and illegitimate. One wonders what exactly would count as a legitimate investigation anymore. :roll:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

One that doesn't target you, I suspect. Though if I'm reading this right, the WA GOP commissioned this investigation.

I suspect I'll be getting an earful over the coming week. Spokane really didn't send its best.
When you can do nothing what can you do?