2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Túrin Turambar wrote:No problem - I appreciate Rogan has said a lot of things people find offensive and I don't think anyone needs to feel compelled to like him or his influence on public debate. I think a debate moderated by him would be far more interesting and less artificial than a debate on a mainstream media platform like CNN or Fox, but I can understand if others would find it a farce.
I am really surprised by this, and disagree with it as strenuously as I can, and I will leave it at that.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Are election debates even all that important? I struggle to think of a game-changing moment from a presidential general election debate in recent years, given how stage-managed and sterile they've become, and how much exposure the candidates already get through the 24-hour media cycle. Reagan trounced Mondale and Clinton did the same with Dole, but they were both likely to win anyway. Based on past experience, Biden will perform solidly but not spectacularly on any platform with any moderator. He might (or is likely to) make some sort of gaffe, but everyone expects it now and I doubt it would change all that many minds. Similarly, Trump will say a series of outrageous things and simply ignore any attempt to force him to back up his claims, but it's unlikely to make much of a difference among either his supporters or detractors. Both candidates probably have every incentive not to have a debate, come to think of it - Biden because he already has a consistent lead and there's no reason to take the risk, and Trump because he's unlikely to come across well.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I think they used to matter more. Now they're more ritual than combat, though there's still some value in seeing the candidates side by side. I wonder if Trump's going to hunch over with his arms crossed. He looks so shriveled when he does that but it happens all the time. Weird for someone who wants to be the alpha.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

The debates do not matter much to me. Occasionally I am surprised. I often find the Town Hall meetings of more interest. For example, the way John McCain handled himself in the interactions at a Town Hall meeting (in the video below) raised my (already high) estimation of him incredibly. This is how a person of honor and integrity handles himself. I had seriously considered voting for McCain until he chose Sarah Palin as his running mate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't think the debates matter very much, but I very much would not want to give a person who like Mr. Trump is the antithesis of compassionate understanding a broad forum.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Trump is trying to take over a full hour on Fox & Friends every week (as he already did this week and has done before). Probably because he's running low on funds. If anyone wants to listen to him babble on all they have to do is tune into Fox.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

On the subject of debates, Thomas Friedman of the NYT wrote a piece a while back stating that Biden should not agree to debate Trump unless Trump agrees to disclose his taxes (as Biden did and Trump agreed to do long ago but never did) and agree to a real-time fact-checker. I think this is an excellent suggestion no matter the moderator or venue.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Excellent idea, Rose!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

The idea is an excellent one Suny.. but it's not mine. Thomas Friedman is an excellent journalist/political commentator.
Voronwë the Faithful

All reasonable suggestions, and completely and utterly unrealistic.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Unrealistic only because of Trump, not because they are bad ideas or bad for Americans as a whole.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

RBG has died.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:(
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:cry: What an awful year.
Voronwë the Faithful

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

:bawl:

Now watch McConnell and Trump ram through a nomination on the eve of an election...
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

River wrote::bawl:

Now watch McConnell and Trump ram through a nomination on the eve of an election...
...or during the (hopefully) lame duck session.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

TheHill.com
"My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed," Ginsburg dictated in a statement to her granddaughter that was obtained by NPR.
I think it's a very good bet the current administration will not honor her wishes... :cry:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

IAWV
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Mr. McConnell couldn't even wait a day to put out this statement:
"The Senate and the nation mourn the sudden passing of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and the conclusion of her extraordinary American life," McConnell said in the statement.
He added: "President Trump’s nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate."