World News Thread

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Sunsilver

Re: World News Thread

Post by Sunsilver »

Hoo boy, just WAIT until the Queen passes away! :roll:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Sunsilver wrote:Hoo boy, just WAIT until the Queen passes away! :roll:
Doesn't seem possible, does it?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :help:

I will definitely mourn on that day.

It may be awhile yet. Her mother made it to 102!

I think she knew her husband was going to pass soon, as she recently got two puppies to keep her company. Hopefully, they will keep help keep her young and on her toes.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2021/0 ... wes%2DLyon.

She still rides daily, though her mount is now a large pony with a very stable temperament.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

So Bernie Madoff died today. Good riddance.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

The Czech government has expelled 18 Russian diplomats after an investigation concluded that Russia was behind explosions at Czech ammunition factories in 2014 that killed two Czech citizens. The GRU team who carried out these explosions were the same group behind the 2018 poisoning in the U.K. of Sergei Skripal and his daughter (and two random people who accidentally came in contact with the poison, one of whom died).
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

And yet there is no substantial evidence of Russian responsibility for the Skripal "poisonings" or the Czech bombings.

How much reliance can be made on the outpourings of the US and UK state funded Bellingcat, the supposed "independent" source that has already been found guilty of manufacturing data (eg the downing of the Malaysian airline over Ukraine)?

The Skripal "poisonings" are fascinating. Apparently, Russian GRU operatives bungled this assassination attempt, but three months later cast offs were found in a bin, leading to the death of Dawn Sturgess.

UK waste disposal has reached an all time low when a bottle of novichok, disguised as perfume, can rest unmolested for three months in a public waste basket...

Anybody else smell that ordure that is state sponsored disinformation?
In a society built on deceit, telling truth is a seditious act
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Beorhtnoth wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:50 pm And yet there is no substantial evidence of Russian responsibility for the Skripal "poisonings" or the Czech bombings.

How much reliance can be made on the outpourings of the US and UK state funded Bellingcat, the supposed "independent" source that has already been found guilty of manufacturing data (eg the downing of the Malaysian airline over Ukraine)?

The Skripal "poisonings" are fascinating. Apparently, Russian GRU operatives bungled this assassination attempt, but three months later cast offs were found in a bin, leading to the death of Dawn Sturgess.

UK waste disposal has reached an all time low when a bottle of novichok, disguised as perfume, can rest unmolested for three months in a public waste basket...

Anybody else smell that ordure that is state sponsored disinformation?
Russia is in fact responsible for the downing of the Malaysian airline over Ukraine.
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

I really am not so sure that is the case. Yes, Russia has been blamed by those with vested interests in blaming Russia, but the investigation by Bellingcat was nonsense, making claims unsupported by evidence, yet that investigation became central to the inquest. Eyewitness accounts were ignored, and remains simply not collected.

It was useful to have Russians held responsible, as it allows Russia's enemies to claim moral superiority.

By the way, the claim is Russian speaking separatists fired the missiles claimed to have downed the airline, but that unsupported charge itself has transformed into Russia itself being culpable. Such is how propaganda works.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I've been reading that Australia, in addition to fires and floods, viral plague (COVID), they also are inundated with mice, which in turn is creating a plague of snakes. Good grief, biblical proportions and whatnot. What say our friends in Australia? How are you holding up? Impy? Túrin?
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

I believe it was biblical imperative that had God's Own Country (England) deport its criminals to Satan's kingdom... ;)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I think they are too busy fighting off the plague of kangaroos.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

RoseMorninStar wrote:I've been reading that Australia, in addition to fires and floods, viral plague (COVID), they also are inundated with mice, which in turn is creating a plague of snakes. Good grief, biblical proportions and whatnot. What say our friends in Australia? How are you holding up? Impy? Túrin?
I don't know what to tell you, RoseMorninStar.

We are, indeed. Still in psychological recovery from the fires of 2 summers ago; and in physical recovery in some of the areas that suffered floods.

We currently have zero community transmission of Covid-19 anywhere in the country; there are occasional breakouts from hotel quarantine - Australians returning from overseas are the vectors - but these breakouts have so far been quickly smothered via short bursts of community lockdown to alliw thorough contact tracing.

I honestly haven't been conscious of the mouse and snake plagues; the 'roo plagues in looking forward to though. Wouldn't that be something to see!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

The Belgium-France border is in upheaval!
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... ium-bigger
The boundary between France and Belgium is believed to have been inadvertently redrawn by a farmer who found the 200-year-old border stone marking the divide in an inconvenient location for his tractor.
Woops!
While amused by the enlargement of his town, David Lavaux, the mayor of Erquelinnes, gently pointed out that the farmer was legally obliged to move the border stone back – and that it would be best not “to create a diplomatic incident”.
Yes, probably for the best.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Ah, should all such conflicts be handled so gently and with humor...
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

In fairness, some European borders are in really inconvenient places. Perhaps most famously, the Dutch-Belgian border:
Baarle Nassau border.PNG
Baarle Nassau border.PNG (757.41 KiB) Viewed 3035 times
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Túrin :rofl:

Impenitent, thanks for your reply. I didn't see it earlier. At least you can be thankful that your country has been spared the worst of COVID. Who knows what will happen going forward with so many people refusing vaccines.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If you get a chance, watch The Law Is the Law. It's a 1958 comedy with Totò and Fernandel, and the plot revolves around Fernandel's character discovering that he was born on the Italian rather than French side of a hotel that straddles the border. It's hysterical.

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Túrin Turambar wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:18 am In fairness, some European borders are in really inconvenient places. Perhaps most famously, the Dutch-Belgian border:

Baarle Nassau border.PNG
And they're even nice enough to label which side is which!
Frelga wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:42 am If you get a chance, watch The Law Is the Law. It's a 1958 comedy with Totò and Fernandel, and the plot revolves around Fernandel's character discovering that he was born on the Italian rather than French side of a hotel that straddles the border. It's hysterical.
I have no idea if I'll be able to find it but I'll go looking
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Wait what?

🔴 LIVE: French fishermen blockade Jersey's capital as Royal Navy gunboats arrive

Follow all the latest updates on our politics liveblog here 👇
The thread is a wild ride.

Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

A consequence of the UK leaving the EU.

French fishermen are discovering the EU waters they have been fishing are not EU waters anymore. Their UK. The French fishermen, of course, protest at the new rules, and the UK polices its territory. Not quite the drama as presented by the Daily Telegraph, but early days!