World News Thread

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: World News Thread

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Iran's top nuclear scientist killed in apparent assassination, state media reports

In case folks are not aware of what N.E.B. was referring to.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Putin had a four-hour press conference yesterday, with the questions coming mostly from vetted, state-controlled sources. He again dismissed accusations that opposition leader Navalny had been poisoned. Because, he said, if they did try to poison him, he'd be dead.

Anything negative is either the fault, or the lies, of US and UK.

He also misspoke and called vaccine an antidote. (not) Speaking of Navalny.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:x
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful

If a spy fiction writer proposed that as part of the plot their next novel, they would get laughed out of their Publishers office. It would be too outlandish to even consider.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Not just the part about putting it in the underwear, but even more the way he was duped.

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:If a spy fiction writer proposed that as part of the plot their next novel, they would get laughed out of their Publishers office. It would be too outlandish to even consider.

Sure, but you can say that about almost anything that's happened this year.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Navalny flew back to Moscow today and was arrested at passport control.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Why the Udûn did he go back?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh dear, yeah.. I don't think it was wise to go back to Russia.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

At least 3,100 arrested in today's pro-Navalny protests.

Here's video of Russian police knocking an older woman to the ground when she has the audacity to ask why they're arresting someone.

Here's a map of where today's protests were scheduled to happen:

One example: here's footage of the protest in Irkutsk, which is near Russia's border with Mongolia.

Today's events are being described by journalists as the largests protests in Russia since 2011. After protesters were beat up by Putin's forces that year, Hillary Clinton, in her capacity as U.S. Secretary of State, criticized the Russian government's response. It's believed that this was the event that crystalized Putin's hatred for Clinton, and thus probably gave us Trump.
Last edited by N.E. Brigand on Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Just after Navalny returned to Russia, he had this two-hour documentary about Vladimir Putin, hosted by himself, released to Youtube:

It has English subtitles. Nominally about "Putin's Palace," it's an expose about Putin's corruption. The "palace" has an estimated value of $1.5 billion. (Putin is quite possibly the world's wealthiest man.)
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I'm impressed by the dedication of those who were willing to protest in Russia in January. They were protesting in Yakutsk when it was-52 degrees!
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Túrin Turambar wrote:I'm impressed by the dedication of those who were willing to protest in Russia in January. They were protesting in Yakutsk when it was-52 degrees!
Yes, that was amazing!

Returning to the film about "Putin's palace," Putin says he doesn't own any of the properties Navalny discusses. Noting this response, former Obama adviser Michael McFaul says that when Obama asked him how much Putin was worth, he explained that's the wrong question. What Putin has is de facto control of "almost all property in Russia or owned by Russian billionaires abroad. He can use almost any property -- the infamous palace, but also any other palaces, yachts, profits from Gazprom gas sales, etc whenever he wants."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Russian police are being much more aggressive today against protesters than they were a week ago.
Voronwë the Faithful

There are also protests that seem to be bordering into riots in India over new agriculture reforms that farmers believe will leave them at the mercy of big corporations.

Here is one article from the BBC a few days ago, though it appears that there have been more developments since then: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-55817628

I am wondering if anyone, particularly Inanna, has any insight about what is happening there.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I do. And I’ve been pondering about posting this here. I’ll try and respond in a day or two. The semester just started....
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks. And if it turns out to be too stressful to do so (particularly with the semester starting) I can completely understand that. But I am interested.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I also saw India in the news last week because of the rising push among Hindu nationalists to honour Gandhi's killer. The farmers in the BBC article are carrying orange flags (the colour of Hinduism) but the have the Sikh Khanda on them - I wonder what the significance is?
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »