World News Thread

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: World News Thread

Post by Inanna »

Pakistan is there but India isn’t. Humph.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

In other important news, Russia is out of the European Championship but Ukraine is hanging on. Which I'm sure is not being politicized in any way. :roll:

And this one is for Alatar

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'm a huge Foil Arms and Hog fan. I get their videos new every Thursday :) This is last weeks one I think. Todays is about Australian Immigration

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:06 pm Pakistan is there but India isn’t. Humph.
Maybe this year they have other things to worry about :(
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

No surprises here. 751 more bodies have been located. At least this member of the government has acknowledged the government cover-up that took place when Dr. Bryce tried to exposed what was happening. It's the first time I've heard this from the mouth of someone in the government:

And I have no doubt we're still just looking at the tip of the iceberg as far as the total body count goes!
Charlie Angus NDP - NPD
otcJuSnpe ico2on3 aadtam dsdsorufi9:d20 nePlcdM ·
A REFLECTION ON A CRIME SCENE:
751 bodies have been found at a former residential "school." But we know that these were not schools - they were institutions designed to destroy the very notion of an Indigenous identity by taking the children. 751 bodies. How to even fathom the depths of this institutional evil?
As horrifying as this is, it is just the beginning of what will be revealed at other sites. In 1907 Dr. Peter Henderson Bryce reported on the shocking death rates of children in the residential schools. In western Canada it was considered normal for one out of every four children to die. He noted that the Files Hill residential school (the only school to actually provide accurate totals to the department) had a death rate that was a staggering 69% of children. Bryce did incredible work to hold the government to account for thse death houses. They fired him.
As these little children are exhumed it is likely that we will find that many died from tuberculosis. But it would be false to think that this was just the reality of the times or because people didn’t know better. These children died from government policy.
In the early 1890s as the residential schools were being formalized the federal government set out to establish what it would cost to actually feed and keep an Indian child alive in a church run boarding school. They then set the rate paid to the churches at a much lower level. The Order in Council stated that this planned underfunding was a “forced system of economy” to “relieve the pressure of present expenditure.” What they meant was that they were going to let Indigenous children go hungry and die.
The churches for their part, then took their cut. It was known as “bleeding the children to feed the Mother House.” Funds that should have gone to food, accommodation and teachers were skimmed off as a profit for the churches. The result was that the institutions set up substandard accommodations cramming children into overcrowded dormitories. They failed to provide basic ventilation and in some place didn’t even bother to provide soap or clean water for the children.
These institutions knew that TB was rampant and their measures would result in mass deaths. Before he was a fired Dr. Peter Henderson Bryce wrote a damning internal document warning the federal government about the growing death rates in children. When Saturday Night magazine got their hands on the Bryce report they wrote it should “startle the country… Indian boys and girls are dying like flies in these institutions… a situation disgraceful to the country.”
The government knew. The churches knew.
Now Canada fully knows.
So what do we need to do? I encourage everyone to take the time read the calls to action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.You will find that the first set of the calls of action are about dealing with the inequities facing Indigenous children in today's broken child welfare system. The policy that caused the mass graves is the same policy in place today. This policy is the deliberate underfunding of Indigenous children services in comparison to what non-Indigenous children receive. The Human Rights Tribunal has ruled this policy is “willful and reckless “ on the part of the Trudeau government in their deliberate underfunding of Indigenous children. We need to end the systemic denial of rights.
We need to admit the genocide that our nation tried to inflict through the taking of innocent children. We need to work with the Indigenous people across the country who are looking to get their loved ones brought home. The churches and government must own up and turn over the names of all the perpetrators and all the documents on these institutions of evil.
These are hard truths to confront but they are necessary truths.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

:cry:
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:(

Very unfortunately, there are horrific stories about such abuse/murder from orphanages around the world, many of them Catholic/religious institutions. It's sickening.
In Ireland.
Just one account in the US.
Romania, Russia, China, the list is long. Far too long. :( Children are so vulnerable.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Mother and Baby homes. Our eternal shame. That and the Magdalene Laundries. Religion has a lot to answer for.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Al, yes it does. I watched a couple of documentaries about it in the past year. Heartbreaking. Evil.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

News from India: The Monsoon is here. Finally.

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Enjoy the rain. May it be just the right amount. :)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I guess all of Europe is celebrating right now?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

India has gone bonkers with Neeraj Chopra winning the gold medal in Javelin.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Hang on, Newfoundland!! :help: Hurricane Larry is making landfall this evening!

Oh, and how Canadian can you get?? "We're ready, and we're just glad it isn't snow!" :rofl:

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/in-the-bull ... -1.5580002
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I find that one advantage of talking to men over talking to women is that, if I forget the name of a male interlocutor, it's socially-acceptable for me to call him "mate". There's no real female equivalent.

That said, I've been lucky enough not to forget someone's name when I'm holding a joint press conference with them in front of the world's media. When unveiling a new security alliance between the U.S., U.K. and Australia (awkwardly called "AUKUS") President Biden appeared to forget Australian PM Scott Morrison's name and settled on "that fella down under". It came to him shortly afterwards, but the nickname seems to have stuck.

[media][/media]
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Early results from Canada suggest Justin Trudeau may be in trouble. Fairly big swings from the Liberals to the Conservatives in the Maritimes. That said, Canada is one of the most politically regionalised western democracies, so we'll need to wait for results from Ontario to get a clearer picture.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Or not. CBC is projecting another Liberal Government. There are gains and losses all over the map.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

And it's another Liberal minority government. The Liberals will have ~156 seats out of 338 from ~32% of the vote. The Conservatives, whose support is more concentrated in the west, will have more votes but fewer seats. Maxime Bernier's People's Party, which was meant to provide an alternative for disaffected Conservatives, only managed about 5% of the vote and no seats. Canadian Conservatives aren't that angry. Or Bernier is no Nigel Farage. Or both.

I'd been following coverage of the election from the (Australian) ABC's election analyst Anthony Green:
Green tweet.JPG
Green tweet.JPG (39.71 KiB) Viewed 2740 times
It's a fair point - clearly Elections Canada doesn't have a marketing department. Imagine being the Speaker of the House of Commons and needing to call on the member for this riding:
Quebec Riding.JPG
Quebec Riding.JPG (47.05 KiB) Viewed 2740 times
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Meanwhile in Russia, a pro-Kremlin party secured a victory* in the parliamentary elections. Paper ballots favored opposition, despite videos of both ballot box stuffing and ballots tossed in trash. But electronic voting swung the results, in what is described as a blatant fashion.

Notably, both Apple and Google caved and pulled the app by the opposition leader Navalny from their respective app stores shortly before the election.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

This just in:

@Dadsaysjokes
When my wife told me that the Prime Minister of Canada got re-elected, I thought she was lying.

It’s Trudeau.