The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:06 pmAnd remind me again why Trump was never held accountable under the Emoluments Clauses?
Because it is a vague and ambiguous constitutional provision that has never really been applied, and likely never will be.

On the scale of things that Trump is likely to be held accountable for, his misstatement of earnings from the Trump Hotel on his financial disclosure forms is probably pretty low. Of course, the likelihood of him being held accountable for any of his numerous unlawful patterns of conduct is overall quite low, so I guess it is only a relative amount of lowliness.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:44 pm
N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:06 pmAnd remind me again why Trump was never held accountable under the Emoluments Clauses?
Because it is a vague and ambiguous constitutional provision that has never really been applied, and likely never will be.

On the scale of things that Trump is likely to be held accountable for, his misstatement of earnings from the Trump Hotel on his financial disclosure forms is probably pretty low. Of course, the likelihood of him being held accountable for any of his numerous unlawful patterns of conduct is overall quite low, so I guess it is only a relative amount of lowliness.
* bolding mine
That is disappointing, depressing, discouraging, and disgusting. The level of low is appalling.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

In March 2018, Jeff Sessions, Attorney General in the administration of President Donald Trump, fired Andrew McCabe, the Deputy Director of the FBI, two days shy of the date on which McCabe, who had already announced his retirement from the Bureau, would be eligible to receive a pension. McCabe was nominally fired on the grounds that the Inspector General for the Dept. of Justice determined that McCabe had (1) improperly released information to the Wall Street Journal in 2016 that was derogatory about the Clinton Foundation and (2) had lied to FBI agents investigating that release.

It's ironic that McCabe's boss, FBI Director James Comey, was also fired by the Trump administration supposedly for having released information derogatory to the Hillary Clinton campaign.

McCabe disputed both of the IG's claims, and in 2019 he filed a lawsuit against the Dept. of Justice for wrongful termination. In the meantime, the DOJ attempted to prosecute McCabe for lying under oath but could not get a grand jury to return an indictment.

I think Trump pressured Sessions, and that the real reason McCabe was fired was that he had overseen parts of the Russia investigation, including having authorized an investigation, as Comey's temporary successor, into whether Trump's firing of Comey constituted obstruction of justice. McCabe had also opened an investigation into whether Jeff Sessions lied to Congress during his confirmation hearings when he claimed not to have met any representatives of the Russian government in 2016.

Today McCabe and the DOJ settled the lawsuit. His firing has been changed to a retirement, and he gets his pension.

Now someone get FBI Director Christopher Wray to say whether he still believes, as he said at the time, that McCabe's firing was "by the book" and not motivated by political interests.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'm glad McCabe will get his pension.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Unlike former President Trump, I am into Golden Slumbers, which is a fine song from one of my favorite Beatles albums.

[puts hand to earpiece]

Wait, I have a correction to offer. Apparently he's going to carry that weight a long time.
Voronwë the Faithful

I never give you my pillow
I only send you my invitations
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I wonder if the reason that Trump brought this up unprompted in a recent meeting with Republican donors is that George Stephanopoulos has filmed an interview with Christopher Steele and Trump heard about it? I doubt there will be anything new in the interview, but ABC probably reached out to Trump for comment.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

The FBI is searching a Washington D.C. home owned by Oleg Deripaska, a Russian oligarch whose name kept turning up in reports on the Trump-Russia investigation.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

A few years ago, I had a rather contentious call with someone in the office of Rob Portman, a U.S. Senator from Ohio, after Portman voted to lift sanctions on a company owned by Deripaska when the Treasury Dept. claimed that Deripaska had given up financial control of that company. I felt that determination was rather credulous, but the Portman person was having none of it.
Voronwë the Faithful

Technically, the FBI is conducting "law enforcement activity" at Deripaska's D.C. house. Whatever the heck that means.

FBI at Washington home of Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Per Politico, two more or less moderate House Republicans, Ann Wagner of Missouri and Michael McCaul of Texas, were overheard last week at a restaurant saying that they had to vote against the contempt charge for Steve Bannon because to do otherwise risked losing the support of their Trumpist constituents.
Voronwë the Faithful

The latest person charged in Durham's longer-than-Mueller's-investigation is a Russian citizen who was one of the main sources for the Steele dossier.

Key Source on Trump Dirt File Arrested in Durham Investigation
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I do think it's reasonably likely that some of Danchenko's sub-sources were working for Oleg Deripaska (and thus ultimately for Vladimir Putin, although I also think there should be a deeper look into Deripaska's possible connection to Mitch McConnell) and feeding him disinformation in order to undermine Steele's work. That said, within weeks of Steele's dossier being made public, it was reported that Steele himself was clear-eyed about the "raw" nature of the information he provided and that he estimated only 75% of it would prove to be correct.

As for whether Danchenko lied to the FBI, it's not clear to me one way or the other from Durham's indictment (a fair portion of which has little to do directly with him but seems intended to cast innuendo on the Russia investigation as a whole). Four of the five charges concern Danchenko saying that he received a call in July 2016 from someone purporting to be Sergei Millian, the Trump-connected president of the Russian-American Chamber of Commerce, making allegations about Trump's business in Russia. It appears that someone really did call Danchenko making those allegations, but that it wasn't actually Millian, and that Danchenko came to realize that by August 2016. So it may comes down to when exactly Danchenko knew that he had been duped and how he conveyed that to the FBI.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Before today, I completely missed this January 2017 report from a right-wing outlet, The Daily Caller (founded by Tucker Carlson), about work supposedly being done in 2015 by Fusion GPS, the research firm that later commissioned Christopher Steele to compile his dossier of reports on Donald Trump. In 2015, Fusion GPS was working on anti-Trump research on behalf of the conservative newspaper The Free Beacon.

The 2017 Daily Caller story claims that: a "reporter for a major news outlet asked an adviser to Donald Trump about memos saying the New York businessman was involved in an orgy in Russia back in fall of 2015, according to an interview the former adviser gave to The Daily Caller Friday." And those memos supposedly had been created by FusionGPS.

There are lots of reasons to distrust the Daily Caller. But it is nonetheless fascinating that shortly after the Steele dossier became public, a conservative media source was claiming that the stories about Trump engaging in salacious conduct in Russia actually predated Steele's work.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:24 am The latest person charged in Durham's longer-than-Mueller's-investigation is a Russian citizen who was one of the main sources for the Steele dossier.

If Danchenko is convicted, he may face a death sentence.
Voronwë the Faithful

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:03 pm
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:24 am The latest person charged in Durham's longer-than-Mueller's-investigation is a Russian citizen who was one of the main sources for the Steele dossier.

For obstruction of justice? Or some other charge?
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

Post by Dave_LF »

The wusses who are (briefly) running the government have let 1/6 go for 10 months without doing a damn thing. I’ll eat my hat if they can find the gonads to sentence anyone to death for anything at all.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:14 pm
N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:03 pm

For obstruction of justice? Or some other charge?
My understanding is that if convicted, he eventually would be deported to Russia, where, having been identified as a source for a former British spy, defenestration or poisoning are likely fates.
Voronwë the Faithful

Gotcha. That makes sense. (Or, well, it doesn't make sense, but I agree that it is likely, though I had to look up what defenestration meant.)
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Just yesterday, a Russian diplomat apparently tripped and fell from an upper story of his nation's embassy in Berlin.