Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
River
bioalchemist

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by River »

I really want this to become a campaign ad. It probably will, once we make it through redistricting.

My House Rep is Neguse. Boebert's counterweight, if you will. :P
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

What in hell does she mean by that? It is outside my comprehension. Seriously. Someone explain.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The left has been saying for a while that the only difference between Taliban and American right is exactly how much of a woman's body they require to be covered, but they didn't expect the right to admit it.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Impenitent wrote:What in hell does she mean by that? It is outside my comprehension. Seriously. Someone explain.
Also wasn’t some democratic presidential slogan, build back better? Or something.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yes. She is trying to imply that the left is failing. That is all there is to it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

You sure about that?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

This is - let it sink in - a US Congressman.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

Dave_LF wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:32 pm You sure about that?
Yes. I believe that Gaetz' intention with that tweet is exactly the same as what I said I believed Boebert's intention to be with hers.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga, yes, it's a disgrace. How is he still a congressperson with all he's been involved with?

The American Taliban (those who hope to establish a Christian theocracy).
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

This individual is running for Senate in Ohio.

Consequent to this tweet, the diner in question deleted their social media accounts and releases a statement saying that they don't put sick employees to work, although they didn't say they pay sick leave.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

And this kind of behavior is why we've had flu outbreaks at work and currently have a COVID outbreak at work. All company personnel get paid sick leave but the temps don't. And even the people with sick leave feel compelled to tough it out because we're Americans and we do that ****. So that's why the facility got fogged with disinfectant last night. :help:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Trump booed at Alabama rally after telling supporters to get vaccinated

People don't seem to say "I can't even" anymore, which is too bad. Because I can't even with this timeline.

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Think of that Stitch gif as my "I can't even" face. I think that's just our perpetual state these days.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

What about responsibility? What about promoting the general welfare and not 'it's all about ME and MY freedom!'? I can't even... :nono:
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Frelga wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:43 am The left has been saying for a while that the only difference between Taliban and American right is exactly how much of a woman's body they require to be covered, but they didn't expect the right to admit it.
I mean...

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

What, precisely, is the function of The Hill repeating what someone on Fox News said about Biden? Anyone who wants to listen to Fox, does. The rest of us don't care what Fox News says.

I refuse to link to that nonsense.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm only putting his here because it doesn't fit anywhere else, but it's a relatively positive story. And it's pretty wild.

There's only one Jew left in Afghanistan, and he's a total jerk, which is why he won't leave. He's such a jerk that Taliban kicked him out of Taliban jail at one point because he was so annoying.

Afghanistan’s last Jew still won’t leave the country (or divorce his wife)

But then!

After Afghanistan’s last Jew refused to leave, his would-be Jewish rescuers helped dozens of other Afghans escape instead

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

What a great story! Margaretten, I mean.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.