Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Frelga »

I decided to start a new thread rather than distract from the weightier subject in the Trump's America thread.
@RealDonaldTrump wrote:Time Magazine called to say that I was PROBABLY going to be named “Man (Person) of the Year,” like last year, but I would have to agree to an interview and a major photo shoot. I said probably is no good and took a pass. Thanks anyway!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 9045693441
@TIME wrote:The President is incorrect about how we choose Person of the Year. TIME does not comment on our choice until publication, which is December 6.
Like, why???

ETA: the TIME magazine poll is here http://amp.timeinc.net/time/5026497/tim ... -2017-poll. Leading so far, Mohammed bin Salman, the Saudi crown prince, by a wide margin. Definitely not enough Whisky.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Inanna »

Well, at least TiME sales will go up this year. ;) although they just canceled Joel Stein’s column. :(
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Well, now we know who isn't Time's Person of the Year... Is he really that much of a narcissist or is he just ****ing with everyone?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

OK, so that broke my brain because why would anyone lie about something you can't possibly hope will not come out. But after seeing comments from the actual TIME people, I think what may have happened was that TIME did call, asking for a photo shoot, and Trump made that contingent on being person of the year. So this tweet may not be completely orthogonal to the truth.

This kerfuffle will probably have the effect of having his supporters vote for him in droves.

Of course now it's a Twitter meme, with my favorite take being from @BoredElonMusk account (I suspect it actually is the real Musk, based on the handle, the timing of the posts, and the brilliant ideas for offbeat products no one would make but I would totally buy)
The future called to say that I was PROBABLY going to be named “Human of the Century,” but I would have to agree to an interview and a major photo shoot and not reveal that time travel exists.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Frelga wrote: and the brilliant ideas for offbeat products no one would make but I would totally buy)
What's an example of a product that no one would make but you would totally buy?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Jude wrote:
Frelga wrote: and the brilliant ideas for offbeat products no one would make but I would totally buy)
What's an example of a product that no one would make but you would totally buy?
Pill that makes you temporarily deaf in one ear when you’re on a call in a noisy place.

Drive thru restaurant that projects menu onto your windshield so you know what you want before pulling up to order.

Backup cameras for backpacks for people who don't realize they take up space outside their own body.

Email app for your parents that does not come loaded with a forwarding feature.

AI bot that answers telemarketing calls for you and has long, seemingly plausible conversations to waste as much time as possible.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Hmm... the last one is the only thing in that list I would consider buying.

Any entrepreneurs here? :poke:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

OK, how about these?

News app that connects to a blood pressure monitor and adjusts your feed accordingly.

Shopping carts that let you input a budget and then buzz when you've thrown enough items in to exceed it.

See-thru overhead bins, no need to open them looking for space, and you can see before opening if objects shifted in flight.

Location based dating app for people standing in line for a product launch.

Coffee cup lids that change color when you've ACTUALLY sealed them.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Frelga wrote:OK, how about these?

News app that connects to a blood pressure monitor and adjusts your feed accordingly.
No thanks - that could be too easily hacked and the data shared with marketers or insurance companies.
Frelga wrote:Shopping carts that let you input a budget and then buzz when you've thrown enough items in to exceed it.
Sign me up! I'm in!
Frelga wrote:See-thru overhead bins, no need to open them looking for space, and you can see before opening if objects shifted in flight.
Good idea - but it should be pitched to airlines, not to us.
Frelga wrote:Location based dating app for people standing in line for a product launch.
Meh.
Frelga wrote:Coffee cup lids that change color when you've ACTUALLY sealed them.
Well, if you think you need it, go ahead. I don't think I need it.

This may change if I start having spillage-related accidents.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I think Jude may be taking these a little more seriously than intended.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Well it is Lasto, after all.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I would totally get a WhatsApp version that doesn’t allow parents and their siblings to forward.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

Distraction successful.

And for those who wonder why Trump would comment on something like this ... Distraction Very Successful.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

It's a good tactic. Works about 90% of the time, I think? Maybe more? Less if you're dealing with a savvy person? Somewhere around there, anyway. And when it fails, you can also just ignore on point questions, which I believe is the next most favorite tactic of people who don't want to be called out on their nonsense.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

For your daily WTF: I thought this was a joke, but this is actually from the Director of Communications for FLOTUS.
The holidays are upon us!! Right now: flotus is seeing to every last detail here at the @WhiteHouse https://t.co/TglHYDVUx1
Apparently the theme this year is the Dead Marches. :help:

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

(Runs away screaming).
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Twitter is having a lot of fun with that image.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Cozy.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

My husband's reaction was, "Isn't she from Transylvania?"

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I'll have to ask my husband if Slovenia is known for undead problems. My impression is that was mostly an issue in Romania and Eastern Serbia...
When you can do nothing what can you do?