Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Inanna »

Argh; how horrible.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/27/us/kyle- ... index.html
As trial approaches, judge will allow the men Kyle Rittenhouse shot to potentially be called 'rioters' or 'looters' -- but 'victim' isn't allowed
:rage:
Isn't victim a legal term??

So can they call him a terrorist??
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Whether they're his victims or not is precisely what is being decided by the trial, and to refer to them as such before a verdict is rendered presupposes the outcome. I'm told this is all very standard.
elengil

Post by elengil »

They are victims, they're dead. Maybe the question is whether he is responsible for their deaths, but how can it be argued they weren't victims? :scratch:
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

I am leaving what I know now and conjecturing: not all dead people are victims; only ones who die as a result of wrongdoing. My guess is that the defense plans to claim the killings were justified, which would imply that the person who *did* the shooting is the (would-be) victim, rather than the other way around.
elengil

Post by elengil »

But that argues that without a conviction they may not be victims, how can they be painted as perpetrators without likewise first having their trial to determine if they were "looters" or "rioters"?? This judge seems to be willing to accept their guilt without trial as a starter. That would seem to unfairly bias the jury in favor of the defendant if you can just call the ones he shot criminals right from the start.
was a 2020 planner.

Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

I don't know why those two terms were deemed ok. Perhaps because the alleged victims aren't the ones on trial. Or perhaps because the prosecution isn't contesting that point.

ETA: Check this twitter thread. Among other things, claims the terms "rioters" and "looters" will only be permitted in closing arguments, and even then only if the rest of the trial establishes it first. The prosecution likewise will be allowed to refer to R as a "murderer" in closing if they establish that. Also:
Victim in this sense is a legal term with a legal proposition that a crime has been committed. It’s prejudicial. This is the ruling that should be made on behalf of all defendants just never is in cases of poor BIPOC Black clients… that’s the upsetting part here.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't have a problem with the judge's ruling that the two men who were killed should not be referred to as victims; that does have the potential to have an unduly prejudicial effect on the jury. I do have a problem with the judge's ruling that the defense should be allowed to refer to them as "rioters" and even worse as "looters". There is no evidence that I am aware of that they were remotely engaging in looting, nor were they "rioting". They were protesting, and that is how they should be referred to as. Referring to them using those terms would be at least as prejudicial as referring to them as victims.

x-posted with Dave. I did not look at the twitter thread.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

The tweeter does make a reasonable point that would the judge actually ruled is that the defense can use those terms in closing argument if they present evidence to support the terms in the trial. But, of course, evidence is in the eyes of the beholder. The key question will be if the defense simply tries to present the opinion that those men were engaging in looting or rioting and the judge allows that to be presented and then referred to in the trial. Time will tell.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

I honestly don't understand how they can paint the people he shot as criminals without a trial (whatever 'evidence' they might present) while not daring to imply the people he shot were actually victims of being shot. If calling them victims is prone to biasing the trial, then calling them looters and rioters is moreso!
:nono:
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I've also seen it mentioned that the judge barred mentions of Rittenhouse's alleged connections to white supremacist movement.

Onion is on the case.

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:nono:
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

If they died of gunshot wounds are they not gunshot victims? Sounds like Newspeak to me.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Very valid point, Imp.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil

Post by elengil »

Impenitent wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:15 am If they died of gunshot wounds are they not gunshot victims? Sounds like Newspeak to me.
That was my point exactly - even if they are not *his* victims, they are victims. But really what this case seems to come down to is not if they were his victims - since his shooting them is not what is in question - but whether he was justified in shooting them. I can't help but think the judge has already made up his mind on that point. :x
was a 2020 planner.

Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

These terms have legal definitions. Those definitions matter. Seriously; there are tons of things to be worked up about in the world right now, but this is not one of them.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Dave_LF wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:02 pm These terms have legal definitions. Those definitions matter. Seriously; there are tons of things to be worked up about in the world right now, but this is not one of them.
Because they are being denied the label victim, but not the label of criminal.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

I agree with Dave. People are looking at this with a knee-jerk reaction without thinking it through. It is a bedrock principal of our legal system that a defendant is not only presumed to be innocent but is entitled to make a defense. In this case, Rittenhouse's defense is that the killing were in self-defense. Referring to the men that he shot as victims up front would prejudice his ability to make that defense. The bigger question is how much leeway the judge gives the defense to portray those men in a false light. If there is truly valid evidence that they were engaged in looting or some kind of rioting that was not protesting the shooting of Jacob Blake, the defense absolutely should be able to present it; it would be travesty of justice not to allow the defense to do so. But the defense should be allowed present a tapestry of speculation and non-fact-based opinion about what those men were doing. It remains to be seen how that plays out.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

What's the deal with the "Biden will pay illegal immigrants 450K" panic?