Cultural Appropriation

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Cultural Appropriation

Post by RoseMorninStar »

My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That happens to me frequently. Not the make up thing, I only managed two successful attempts at eye makeup in the last eight years, but the man in the towel thing. I feel like he should have come with more warnings when I married him.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

You are ahead of me in eye makeup, then.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I was so delighted to find out early on that I was allergic to talc, hence unable to wear make up. So I have always gone bare-faced, even at work. Making my face sexually attractive is one particular part of the female American culture that I refuse to conform to. I'd rather just be myself. I suppose that means I am appropriating male American culture.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

narya wrote: I suppose that means I am appropriating male American culture.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Make-up takes far more effort than I am generally willing to put into my appearance on a daily basis. Or even a weekly basis. I'm like a once-a-year-maybe-if-it's-a-really-fancy-thing-or-maybe-if-I'm-in-a-play-or-something kind of person.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I use make-up. Not a lot, but my 'routine', beginning with moisturizer, takes less than 2 minutes.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

There was a time when I felt guilty for not taking more care with my appearance. Not doing my hair up fancy. Not wearing makeup. I knew I should. I just had other priorities. Then, when I was 22 years old, I got into a rather scary mountaineering accident that mucked up my face a bit. Was the sort of accident people usually don't walk away from, but I did. Literally. Anyway, I spent some time wandering around with a mucked up face. How mucked up? Well, I took all the skin off my nose and tore one of my eyebrows in half. I was, to put it gently, noticeable. I also tore open my elbow. But I healed up fairly clean. Well, my face healed up clean. The elbow's perfectly functional but I've got a gnarly hypertrophic scar on it that I'm plenty happy to talk about whenever someone find the nerve to ask. On my face, there's some subtle but permanent scarring. I think of it as my memento moris. Anyway, since that experience I've figured that if I can walk around in public without anyone working really hard not to gawk at me I'm having a really good day. This lesson was further reinforced following my bike wreck at age 25, when I broke my nose and smacked the lower right quadrant of my face so hard it swelled up and I looked just plain surreal. If your bare face doesn't scare small children, you're doing just fine.

I think the world would be a happier, more content place if more people shared my attitude, rather than, say, the beauty industry's. Decide for yourself what you can and can't live with (I got my broken nose restored to its original form, for example). Don't let the advertisers do it for you.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Good lord gurl.. are you missing a healthy dose of fear and self-preservation?

eh.. I figure to each their own.. whatever makes a person comfortable should be fine with everyone else. Not unlike what style of clothing one chooses to wear (as long as it doesn't create safety hazards).
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I was in my 20's. You're supposed to do things like that in your 20's. Before all the fear grows in :spin:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

River always has the most badass stories.

I wore my war paint in college. It was late 80s, my makeup set looked like one of those art kits they sell as Christmas presents for children under 8. I think Mr. Frelga complained, or maybe the fashion changed, because I phased it out soon after we married.

My skin is stupidly sensitive these days, as in, I never know what would set it off. So I don't wear makeup, although on important days I might add a swipe of mascara and a lipstick.

Eh. I'm cool with my face. It's got nice color, and shows a reasonable amount of wear for my age. On rare occasions when I make an effort to put on makeup, it's not to make myself look prettier, it's to make the occasion feel more special.

I wish guys felt free to wear it, though.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

River wrote:I was in my 20's. You're supposed to do things like that in your 20's. Before all the fear grows in :spin:
Before the brain matures, maybe?

I haven't worn makeup in decades. I used to try to put on eye makeup for special occasions, but a skin infection on one eyelid cured me of that last impulse to conform. I'm not risking anything that might set that off again! :shock: :shock:

I never wore makeup in uniform, either, so it wasn't a hard thing to give up.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:And in the latest twist in the Jussie Smollett saga, all charges against him have been dropped. His attorneys and the authorities are putting a different spin on it. Frankly, at this point, I don't know what to think.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/26/arts ... Q6b4Ivv3_k
And, in the latest "latest twist" new charges have been filed by a special prosecutor.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/ ... spartanntp
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

I'm not sure if this necessarily fits in this thread but it didn't seem to go anywhere else either. I felt a bit guilty laughing...
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:er: :(
Voronwë the Faithful

Another thread it could have gone in (which I think dates back to before you were posting here regularly) is this one:

Privilege
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Another thread it could have gone in (which I think dates back to before you were posting here regularly) is this one:

Privilege
Ah, yes, that would have been a better fit. Thank you.
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I did a quick look-over of the thread and haven't see this previously discussed. I recently saw articles that referred to drag queens as an appropriation of females similar to blackface but drag queens countered accusing female (cis) drag queens of cultural appropriation. *wugga-wugga*
elengil

Post by elengil »

/sigh/
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:40 pm
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:And in the latest twist in the Jussie Smollett saga, all charges against him have been dropped. His attorneys and the authorities are putting a different spin on it. Frankly, at this point, I don't know what to think.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/26/arts ... Q6b4Ivv3_k
And, in the latest "latest twist" new charges have been filed by a special prosecutor.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/ ... spartanntp
And, he has been convicted on five of six charges.
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/jussie ... index.html