Escaping the Echo Chamber

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Escaping the Echo Chamber

Post by RoseMorninStar »

TV can sometimes be in-your-face but that takes the cake. Or cupcakes. :rofl:
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Flat-screen TV?
=:)

Here's the men's equivalent.
Screenshot_20201129-140441.jpg
Screenshot_20201129-140441.jpg (40.59 KiB) Viewed 6461 times
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Honestly, mesh doesn't look good on either of them.

As for social media...I have no idea how to put that horse back in the barn, though I agree that it has some issues.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga :rofl:

River, for starters negative consequences for false allegations but it's just too common and wide spread. The negative consequences would have to come from society as it does in (for example) Japan. Outrageousness, lies, and misinformation is too often rewarded.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I found this profile of 20 voters helpful in appreciating the multiplicity of viewpoints out there (some perhaps more bubble-like than others), including a female African American attorney here in Cleveland who voted for Trump and fears a civil war if Biden is inaugurated and a White conservative pastor from Michigan who voted for the retired coal magnate Don Blankenship (candidate this year for the Constitution Party) and is so alarmed by his congregants' dependence on Fox News (not to mention Newsmax and the like) that he'll soon be "preaching a series from the Book of Proverbs ... to help us develop the spiritual discipline of discernment."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

We are a country engulfed and warped by lies. Lies for power and control. By politicians, by religion, by the wealthy/big business. News organizations have peddled it in the name of profit. Religions have traded morality for power and control in the courts. Congress.. I don't know what to say, despicable. This is what happens when a narcissist is at the helm in any organization. The problems were always there, but a narcissistic ringleader who is skilled in media manipulation and branding, who requires complete personal loyalty over loyalty to the country/constitution is ripe for disaster.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I've only just started it, but this article by Maggie Koerth and Amelia Thompson-Devaux at 538.com appears to essential if grim reading for this conversation:

Our Radicalized Republic
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

To get back to the gym gear controversy, in my day, the guys got to wear track pants and T-shirts. Girls had to wear these horrible 'romper suits', which had short sleeves, and ended just below the crotch in an elastic leg band.

The only other acceptable gym attire was a tight, form-fitting leotard like ballet dancers wear. These also left the whole leg exposed.

I would have been horribly humiliated if I'd had to wear either one outside of gym class!

Re: the boob tube...
Attachments
Got boobs.jpg
Got boobs.jpg (32.36 KiB) Viewed 5841 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

It can be refreshing, if you think of yourself as on the left or the right, to get a shove from someone farther from the center than you. Today I read this piece, which argues that Dungeons & Dragons suffers from antisemitic tropes and that the reason, in part, is because its sources, like J.R.R. Tolkien in his portrayal of dwarves, are antisemitic. So I wrote to the author, suggesting that the issue was more complicated than that, noting a couple works of Tolkien scholarship (by Rebecca Brackmann and Renée Vink) that argue both sides, and adding my own observation that Tolkien once wrote that Adûnaic, the ancestor of the language spoken by all of the characters in The Lord of the Rings, has a "faintly semitic flavour," i.e., since Tolkien said that dwarves were like Jews in part because of their Semitic tongue, then logically that's somewhat true of everyone who speaks Westron.

Well, the author was having none of it, and let me know in no uncertain terms that what Tolkien did with the Dwarves was undeniably racist. (And I think by implication that I was being racist in suggesting it might not be so.)

A good reminder of the limits of my own bubble.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

A good reminder of the limits of my own bubble.
Absolutely true!!

As in many areas of life, a person can believe they are not bigoted in a particular way, and yet they may still display bigotries either through ignorance (willful or otherwise) of their own bigotry, or ignorance in regards to the offences they have given (The latter, IMO, being just as common as the former)

So Tolkien's work can very much contain offensive stereotypes or tropes, while the man himself can firmly denounce Nazi anti-Jewish sentiment to their proverbial faces. Too many people don't seem to understand how these two can so easily and readily co-exist.

https://www.openculture.com/2014/04/j-r ... isher.html
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I may be misremembering, but I am pretty sure that we have a thread here discussing the issue of Tolkien, his Dwarves, and anti-Semitism. I'll have to look when I have the opportunity. As both of you suggest, it is complicated subject with a number of different layers.

ETA: I think it was in discussing John Rateliff's History of the Hobbit.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I didn't want to push this thread off topic into Tolkiena. It was just that I found this knock from the left valuable in understanding the point of view of some on the right. One often-mocked complaint that is heard from the right is that it's painful to be called a racist. The usual response from the left is that it's even more painful to be called a racial slur. And I'm sure that's true! But reasonably "woke" as I am, I have largely avoided the experience of being called racist myself. This time I got at least a hint of what that feels like.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

There's a lot to unpack in that interaction.

The problem is that people focus on racism and other forms of prejudice as something you are, all or nothing, vs. specific acts that may not have a harmful intent but could still be hurtful or even harmful.

Is it reasonable to label Tolkien and everyone who enjoys his work as a racist? No, it's not reasonable.

Is it unreasonable to point out where Tolkien employs stereotypes such as love of gold that have been and still are harmful and dangerous to Jewish people (waves into the direction of qanon and the rest of the y'allqeida)? No, it's not unreasonable.

Although if I'm offended by anything, it's by the fact that his one Dwarvish language snippet uses "aleinu" to mean upon you, when it means upon us. Aleihem is upon you. :spin:

Interestingly, PJ has steered entirely clear of portraying Dwarves as Semitic in any way.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I thoroughly missed any connection between Dwarves and Jews. :oops: I have picked up on some other sketchy racial stuff in Tolkien's works (paler coloring = closer to the Divine among the Elves, for one example, the evil menace always seeming to come out of the East for another) but not that one.

I've encountered some weird stuff from people to the left of me as well. Not so much accusing me of anything as expressing views that have otherwise been professed to be unpalatable. The weird reaction about the Hispanic AG doll I got for my daughter at her request is an example, but there've been other things to suggest some of my family members have some views on multiculturalism and feminism they need to get honest about.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Is the only parallel between the portrayal of dwarves and Jewish stereotypes the love of gold?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

River wrote:I thoroughly missed any connection between Dwarves and Jews. :oops: I have picked up on some other sketchy racial stuff in Tolkien's works (paler coloring = closer to the Divine among the Elves, for one example, the evil menace always seeming to come out of the East for another) but not that one.
That's part of where it can get difficult - because they didn't know what they were consuming was a trope or stereotype, so they don't make the connection, and some can get very defensive if someone points it out because they think that liking it means they are somehow racist themselves.

It's like when people talk about certain terms being dog whistles, and someone says "well *I* didn't get that meaning from what they said" and it's like, yeah, you weren't the target audience, either.

Or people use a phrase and refuse to accept it is problematic or be corrected because "Well *I* don't mean that when I say it."

People don't always have the full context of everything, and it's best we sometimes let others inform us instead of sticking stubbornly to our own little narrow understandings.

(as for finding out your family may have some... 'views'... ugh... I've been there several times now. It's not a good feeling at all.)
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

yovargas wrote:Is the only parallel between the portrayal of dwarves and Jewish stereotypes the love of gold?
From what I read, Tolkien uses tropes that were associated with Dwarves in Nordic myths, and it's those tropes that code dwarves as Jews. Dwarves are outsiders who are concerned with jewels and gold and whose allegiance is to their mystical homeland rather than their place of residence. Tolkien does use Semitic-style language for Dwarves, but to be fair, there are only so many families of unrelated human languages.

It's a complicated topic and I don't have the typing time now. Perhaps in the mythical later....

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

elengil wrote: Or people use a phrase and refuse to accept it is problematic or be corrected because "Well *I* don't mean that when I say it."
Corrections can be made but you have to do it with a light touch. I actually broke my husband out of using the term "fag" (and no, he wasn't referring to cigarettes) before taking him home to meet my family for the first time by gently pointing out that not everyone knows what he means and my homosexual sister might think he's calling her a bad person. So first he started watching his mouth around her and her partner and then in the months that followed, even after the trip ended, the word just faded out of his English vocabulary. His friends still tossed it around but he didn't. He's the type that wants to be intentionally offensive, if that makes sense. Like if he's saying something hurtful, he's doing it on purpose.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Frelga wrote: Dwarves are outsiders....
Uh, they are? Outsiders of what exactly?
Frelga wrote: ....whose allegiance is to their mystical homeland rather than their place of residence.
Huh? What mystical homeland?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Sorry, yov, I really don't have the time now. There's been some academic work on the subject, which you could probably locate if interested.