Gun Control Debate

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Sunsilver

Re: Gun Control Debate

Post by Sunsilver »

Let's hope so, but I've learned not to hold my breath... :cry:

Hard, irrefutable facts and figures comparing shooting in the U.S. with shootings in other countries seem to have so little effect on the gun lobby that it's hard to have hope anymore.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

The NRA's coming apart at the seams, which might be why politicians are starting to talk sense.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Exactly, River.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Seems there was another close call this weekend. :(

'Tragedy Averted': Texas Grandma Praised For Stopping Alleged Planned Mass Shooting
Williams later told police officers that he was staying in a hotel, and according to the complaint, this is what they found when they searched it: "an AK-47 rifle, seventeen magazines loaded with 7.62 ammunition, a black trench coat, multiple knives, black tactical pants, a black t-shirt that said 'Let 'Em Come', and black tactical gloves with the fingers cut off."

When officials from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives looked into how he purchased the weapon, they found an alleged false statement in his documents. According to prosecutors, Williams did not state his accurate and current address on an ATF form.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Here's a fun graph showing Reps moving further to the right in the past 10 years (I'd guess in response to Obama).
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (39.31 KiB) Viewed 9941 times
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Gee, wonder what ELSE might have caused this...
Attachments
NRA Donations (2).jpg
NRA Donations (2).jpg (63.21 KiB) Viewed 9931 times
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

This may be mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but it bears repeating.

One of the first things Trump did when he came to power was veto a bill banning the mentally ill from owing guns.

The NRA managed to get a bill passed that prevents the CDC from doing research on gun ownership as related to gun deaths.

I saw a clip on FB this morning that was filmed during the 2016 campaign. Obama said current laws allow people who have been flagged by the FBI as being ISIS sympathizers to own guns.

Is that nuts, or what??? :x
Voronwë the Faithful

But as has already been mentioned, since 2016, the NRA has been self-emploding, so its grip on politicians (which used to cover most of the Democrats as well as the Republicans, though in recent years has been concentrated on the GOP side) might be loosening.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Yes, and I've heard they are nearly bankrupt due to the drop in support.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

A good article I thought would fit in here. No Link between Mental Illness and gun violence
My heart is forever in the Shire.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

While we argue about how many high volume magazines should be considered a constitutional right to purchase, and if we should do background checks on people who buy more than 6 semi-automatics, and if we should be arming teachers, there are 23,000 people per year in America quietly sinking to such despair about their own lives that they kill themselves, each with a single bullet. If these people had used other means, they might still be alive, they might be receiving help and getting out of depression and going on to live and love and be loved. But guns - ubiquitous and seductive - are just too lethal. We have way too many guns. :(

https://www.vox.com/2015/10/1/18000510/ ... comparison

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... -australia
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

In related news (and in further proof that we're both post-truth and post-irony), the NRCC has demanded that a Democrat's post listing the top Trump donors in Texas be taken down because it "incites violence."

https://www.axios.com/joaquin-castro-tw ... ef683.html
Voronwë the Faithful

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Peak idiocy, more like.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I don't think we've seen the peak of either
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

There are apparently conflicting reports about this and Walmart seems to be saying they did not issue any such directive. It seems like perhaps some individual store managers have taken it upon themselves to do this, not Walmart itself.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I heard on the radio that it was a temporary policy to protect the feelings of the victims, who might be traumatized by the violent imagery while being perfectly fine with the reminder that guns continue to be easily available to future shooters. (Although I hope Walmart doesn't sell AKMs.) It looks like a corporate spin gone bad, TBH.

Here's an interesting historical perspective on the time a gun control law was successfully implemented in the US.

They were killers with submachine guns. Then the president went after their weapons.
Nobody expected “the underworld to be going around giving their fingerprints and getting permits to carry these weapons,” Cummings said. But if they were caught with a gun that wasn’t registered, they could be charged with tax evasion, just as Chicago mobster Al Capone had been. “I want to be in a position, when I find such a person, to convict him because he has not complied,” the attorney general said.
This probably made a lot of difference.
The NRA at the time represented “hundreds of thousands” of gun owners but not gun manufacturers
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

So this happened :( :cry:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Today, Colt announced it will cease manufacturing AR-15s for civilian use because the market is flooded.
Colt will suspend production of AR-15 rifles for civilian sales, saying there's an "adequate supply" of the high-powered weapons already in the market, the famed gun manufacturer said Thursday.

The gun-maker, based in West Hartford, Connecticut, said its decision is purely market-driven and made no mention of any public pressure over the AR-15's use in several mass shootings in the United States.

"The fact of the matter is that over the last few years, the market for modern sporting rifles has experienced significant excess manufacturing capacity," Colt President and CEO Dennis Veilleux said in a statement.

"Given this level of manufacturing capacity, we believe there is adequate supply for modern sporting rifles for the foreseeable future."

Veilleux said his company will continue to make and sell AR-15s for "our warfighters and law enforcement personnel" who "continue to demand Colt rifles and we are fortunate enough to have been awarded significant military and law enforcement contracts."
When you can do nothing what can you do?