Gun Control Debate

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Gun Control Debate

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Who was that masked angel?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Anthybaby!!!!!! How's it going?????
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

ANTHY!!!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Anthy! *crashtacklehug*
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

:love: :love: Hi, sweet friends! :love: :love:
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

:love: :love: :wave: :love: :love:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:love: :love: :love:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

So how long can we hope to have you stick around?
:wooper:
Voronwë the Faithful

This is certainly the friendliest "Gun Control Debate" to be found anywhere on the internet. :spin:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:This is certainly the friendliest "Gun Control Debate" to be found anywhere on the internet. :spin:
We never have done the barbed hate thing very well. Darned crazy Hallofirians. :love:
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Voronwë the Faithful

Thank Eru for that. :love:

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

We have actually been "debating" this topic in my home quite a bit lately. Mr. Anth has long acquiesced to my plea for no firearms in our home when our children were small, but since the kids now both tower over me, I can no longer use that leverage to quell his desire to own a gun. He recently went to a CCW class, and is awaiting his certification in the mail. When that occurs, we are going to be the proud owners of our very own handy-sized instrument of death in our home.

I'm not particularly happy about that.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

At least he took a class. That puts him head and shoulders above a lot of people.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Anthy, what are his reasons for wanting a gun?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Frelga wrote:Anthy, what are his reasons for wanting a gun?
Home defense, and the fact that he likes going to the gun range. Shooting is fun, and several of his friends (and both of his brothers) also have guns and will go to the range with him.

Ax, I agree. That was something he was very interested in doing before we had a gun in the house. Now I'm wondering if I too should attend a class. If we are going to have that sleek little weapon of death in our HOME, I probably should understand its care and feeding.

I just feel... I feel... odd about the whole thing. Like we have now opened Pandora's box right in the midst of my family, and are now inviting the possibility of a gunfight and death and disaster into our home. I feel a spine-brushing whisper of tales of foretold tragedy. It's like I can see it... like a flash of white light just out of my vision, just in the corner of my eye as I turn my head, what was that?, the bright second of white light that is the disaster to come. I can't quite see it, but I saw it. Just for a second. It's now there.

I feel fey. Fey in the old Scots. Scared. Marked.

But hey, it's just a gun. Lots of folks have them, right? Hardly anything bad ever really happens.

:help:
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Anth, the statistics aren't really in your husband's favor. Not that that's stopping him, but your concerns aren't unwarranted and you do deserve to feel safe in your home. If having a gun in your home chisels away at that, that's something that needs to be taken into consideration.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

There is, unfortunately, less empirical evidence either way than would be desirable (in large part, I have to say, because the allies of the NRA have blocked federal funding of research about gun violence), but from what I have seen, River is correct. Most studies that have been done have pointed to a much greater likelihood of members of a home being the victims of a violent act when they own a gun than otherwise. Here is site that discusses some such studies: http://smartgunlaws.org/dangers-of-gun- ... tatistics/ I am sure, however, that gun rights advocates can point to studies that say just the opposite. My feelings are very similar to yours, Anth (big surprise, there! :hug:). I have a strong visceral antipathy towards "handy-sized instruments of death." But I recognize that plenty of good people feel differently.

The difference, of course, is that no one that I love is looking to bring one into my house, which makes is a much more academic issue for me, than for you. :hug:
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

We no longer have guns in our home, but when we did they were old civil war replica muzzle-loading muskets and a carbine. Neither could easily be used to shoot anything, which made them less threatening. I would not be comfortable with hand guns or semi-automatic weapons in my home. That's tough Anthy. :(
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Anthy!!! :love:

Can't you rent guns at the firing range, maybe?

I personally would find myself very, very bothered by the presence of a weapon in the house. For all sorts of reasons. It would feel to me like installing an elevator shaft with no elevator in it, and no locks on the door except "self control" to make sure you never tumbled down it.

Of course, I also did not want a dog, and yet we have one, so I'm a fine one to talk when it comes to putting one's foot down. :D
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

River, I've had that discussion. The best I could do was put it off into the future. The future, however, is quickly becoming now.

Thank you, Voronwë, I had a feeling you would be on the same wavelength I am. :)

Hi, Rose! :wave: I appreciate the understanding. My husband really doesn't understand my reservations.

Teremia, I suggested that very thing. He reminded me that this is something that he has really wanted for the 20 (23? Sometimes I have to do the math) years we've been married. I fended him off for quite a while, but he wants this. He's being responsible, and we will have a gun safe, etc.

I Just. Don't. Like it.

And I guess I did talk him into the dog, come to think of it. :whistle: BOTH dogs, as a matter of fact. And I'm pretty sure the cat... errr, cats... were something he agreed to against his will. Not to mention the ONE horse, and then, you know, the OTHER horse. Not his dream, not his first, second or countable choice. And then, ummm, there's the chickens. Can't forget the chickens. He *did* say something like *no WAY* to the chickens, three years ago when we first got chickens.

:help:

Maybe I owe him.

But none of them is a GUN!