Health Care Reform

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Not as far as I know, or at least not generally. Federal crimes are found in section 18 of the United States Code. I imagine some others may be found in other acts, but I'm not sure.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Assassinating the president is covered by federal law, but by and large violent crimes become federal crimes if committed on federal property. The 50 states are supposed to be sovereign and cover crimes not committed against the "country".

Or something like that. :scratch:
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The Federal government has the powers that the states granted to it. They did not give it specific powers to make laws with respect to criminal offences, although it can obviously make something a crime if it relates to an area in which it has jurisdiction.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Wow, this is all very interesting to me. I was browsing through some of that section 18 stuff and found this:
Any physician who, in or affecting interstate or foreign
commerce
, knowingly performs a partial-birth abortion and thereby kills
a human fetus shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more
than 2 years, or both.
Emphasis mine!?!? Partial-birth abortion got in under the freakin' commerce clause?????
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Murdering (or attempting to murder) a federal worker is a federal crime. Thus Loughner is charged by the federal government for killing Judge Role and the congressional aide who died, as well for attempting to assasinate Rep. Giffords, whereas he is charged by Arizona for the rest of the deaths and injuries. Kidnapping is a federal offense. Mail fraud, tax evasion, crimes on federal property.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Meanwhile, the Senate Republicans managed to force a vote on repeal by attaching an amendment to the FAA authorization bill (just the kind of manuevering that they constantly decry the Democrats for doing). The vote failed, of course, on a straight party line vote. The Senate did vote to remove a tax reporting requirement that small businesses had found irksome, and which President Obama had indicated he was supportive of removing.

Senator Bill Nelson of Florida has indicated that he intends to introduce a bill that would request the Supreme Court bypass the Court of Appeals and decide the constitutionality of the bill sooner rather than later.

Senate Votes Down Health-Care Repeal
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

If the tax reporting provision for small transactions is so bad that both parties in the Senate and the House and also the President support repeal, how did it get passed in the first place?

(And people wonder why I have such a low opinion of elected officials.)
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Voronwë the Faithful

Says the elected official. ;)

ETA: I often say similar things about lawyers, so I sympathize.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I'm not so cynical. I think many people run for office because they believe they can serve their city, or state, or nation. But politics is, above all, the art of the possible. And that's when reality sets in. :)
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful

Yup. And if something gets done that turns out not to have been a good idea, and it is able to be changed, that is a Good Thing.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm glad to see that point change. I don't spend $600 with any one vendor unless I need furniture or a computer, but a whole new set of tax forms to file was not happy news for this very very small business owner.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:If the tax reporting provision for small transactions is so bad that both parties in the Senate and the House and also the President support repeal, how did it get passed in the first place?
The same way my little software unit has been purchased twice, along with another associated unit, by companies who didn't know we existed. Not fly-by-night outfits either: the Royal Bank of Canada and IBM. Deadlines + complicated deals = surprises.
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

Primula Baggins wrote:I'm glad to see that point change. I don't spend $600 with any one vendor unless I need furniture or a computer, but a whole new set of tax forms to file was not happy news for this very very small business owner.
It was $600 per vendor for the year, not per purchase; so it was not just for large-ticket items furniture and computers.

Some small business firms might spend $600 dollars over the year with something like an Office Supply firm. $20 for computer paper here. $10 for CDs there, $30 for toner. Staples, paper clips, postage, stationary etc. You would need to keep track of all of that in case it goes over $600.

If a small company has meetings every week and spends $12 a week on donuts and coffee (not hard to do), that would be $12 *52 or $624 over the year (assuming you got it all from the local bakery). There are a lot of easy ways to get over this limit.

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

True, Brian, although in my own case that would not have been a problem. I'm in an extremely low-overhead business and, these days, use almost no physical supplies.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Your tax rules for small businesses seem very, very, very complicated and costly. I do believe ours are much simpler. We also pay lower corporate taxes, which encourages enterprise.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Mine are pretty simple, but I have no employees.
Voronwë the Faithful

Me too!
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

This current thread of conversation makes me wonder if we aren't better off dealing with these types of issues on a state by state basis, rather than on a national level.

Our country is large on an actual size scale and on a population scale, and it seems to me that tossing out a national health care plan or any other type of national all encompassing program has to be a logistical nightmare that is less effective than if done on a state by state basis.

I hate to see a noble endeavor fall victim to bureaucracy and a system that has many cracks to fall into. I also look at the latest presidential elections and the hot button issues and see that the country is pretty well evenly divided.
I wonder if we are best served by a blanket approach rather than a state by state approach that serves individuals rather than the country as a whole.

We allow for state autonomy with regards to laws that best serve the people of each state. Why is this so different and wouldn't it not be more effective to the general population if it were presented as a piecemeal objective?
Voronwë the Faithful

The only way that a state by state approach in health care would work would be if there is some kind of overarching national policy guaranteeing universal coverage, like they have in Canada. Otherwise, the system would break down. But, as Prim (I think) suggested earlier in the thread, there is already some movement in that direction.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I'm not convinced of that either way. I don't think there is enough of a sample to be honest. Massachusetts seems to be working on the surface at least, but we have far different circumstances, population, immigrants, and philosophies than say Idaho. I really can't see any practical way of determining anything at this point based on hard numbers. And I really don't think it is fair to try and throw a blanket over a society that is very diverse and has different wants and needs. Not to mention the mind boggling logistics for xxx million people.

Seriously if it a choice between foisting ideals, politics and unimaginable numbers aren't we better off to evolve towards a "global" health care system than shove a piece of susceptible legislation down the throat of a semi-unwilling public?