Same-sex, whole-milk marriage: 50 Shades of Gay

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Same-sex, whole-milk marriage: the Majestic Majority

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

My initial thought is that there is no way that will happen, but now that I think about it, maybe there is a chance that they will. They generally do wait until the end of the term to announce the biggest cases, but that is generally because they take the most time for them to decide. If they really have made up their minds already, made they will announce it earlier. But don't count on it.

[As an aside, when I clicked on "view the latest post" for this forum and saw your post, I wasn't sure whether I was in this thread or the health care thread, since your post would have made perfect sense either way. However, I think you can count on that decision waiting until the very end of the term.]
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

No doubt they will wait, especially if they're also going to destroy Obamacare on the same morning. A spoonful of sugar, etc.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

I probably should post this there rather than here, but I am feeling more confident about that case than I was. Maybe I'll post more about why in that thread at some point.

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'll look forward to that. Bring hope to the hopeless! :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

At the risk of jumping the gun, I'm taking suggestions for what F-word to use for "*** Fifty." 8)
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Voronwë the Faithful

I think you should go for a rhyme rather than alliteration. ;)
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

The Shifty Fifty? *ducks*
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I have a dear friend whom I've known since before either one of us had children; we had our first (in her case only) babies at almost the same time; when her son (a talented musician) came out to her in high school, her quiet sigh to me was that she regretted nothing except—she'd always looked forward to going to his wedding . . . .

Now she's planning the flowers; he's getting married this summer.

So the twenty-first century doesn't have rocket packs (so far). So what? This is way, way more cool. And much more important.
Voronwë the Faithful

And nifty!

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

nerdanel wrote:At the risk of jumping the gun, I'm taking suggestions for what F-word to use for "*** Fifty." 8)
The Phenomenal Phifty?
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Finally - FIFTY!
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Primula Baggins wrote:So the twenty-first century doesn't have rocket packs (so far). So what? This is way, way more cool. And much more important.
Important, sure, but I dunno about cool.....of course, my dream was always a jetpack wedding.....

(FYI - the correct answer is Fabulous.)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I'm especially proud to be a Tlingit today:
http://www.adn.com/article/20150224/ala ... ex-couples
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That's seriously awesome, narya.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Cool!

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Oh, that's really interesting. Not just for the potential gayety but because I have no idea how the legalities of sovereign tribes like that work.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Thanks for sharing that, narya! Hurray!
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Indian tribes are nations on the level of the national government, so it may be that a Tlingit marriage certificate has to be honored in all states - as the equivalent of a federal document - contrary to any peculiar local laws.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Here's hoping this will all be moot in the next few months.

I think it's time to confess something—something that never affected my actions or behaviors, but that was nevertheless true of me for a long time. It ended a long time ago, but it was true, so here it is.

I thought fighting for gay marriage was kinda out there.

I thought asking for it and fighting for it was just going to put people's backs up and might end up alienating people and delaying the change that other people wanted.

I got it . . . I got the principle. I agreed. I had all the human reasons to agree.

But now? Really? Is this the hill we want to die on?

It turned out it was the hill we won on . . . but that's not what changed my view. What changed it was finally understanding that you don't reach the moon by wishing you could reach low earth orbit. The ultimate goal should shape not just your wishes and hopes, but your actions. And in fact that is the only way to act with integrity: to act as if your goals, all of them, are attainable. Given that they are attainable, what do you do to attain them? Then do it.

I will forever honor the LGBT activists and their supporters who fought on those terms and carried this battle to what, I hope, will soon be the triumphant end.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Lovely post Prim.

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude