Same-sex, whole-milk marriage: 50 Shades of Gay

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

And in particular, the parents' refusal to attend the wedding makes me see red; I see that as an utterly unforgiveable act.
Yeah. :(

Back in Prop 8 campaign days I had this argument with someone who said, "What would you do if your son says, 'Hi, Mom, this is Joe, I want to marry him'?" (how do I punctuate that, btw?)

And I was just flabbergasted, because what the H can I say except "Welcome, Joe"? Anything else would only drive my son away.

I know it's hard on parents when they just can't approve of the partner their children chose (a friend is currently quite upset that her daughter's boyfriend is not Catholic), but I'd like to think that I would stand by my kid no matter what.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Even on the "I believe this is a sin" front, I see a lot of progress in that article. I loved the "yeah, it's a sin, but so's divorce and we're both divorced" bit. If we get to a point where gay relationships are a "sin" the same way most people view divorce, I think we'll be pretty darn okay (as long as people believe in the Bible as the word of god, we can't really expect better).
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

yovargas wrote:
nerdanel wrote:(I've lost count of how many "straight" women in my age group I've met who say that they would really be interested in dating a woman - and can see substantial advantages to having a female rather than male partner - were it not for the discrimination agagainst same-sex relationships, parental anger, etc.) And that's the direction in which I'd like to see society head.
I'd love to live in a society where "straight" men were making such remarks. ;)
I take your point. :) But part of my point was that some straight women see an advantage to being with a woman because they feel that the gendered expectations of traditional heterosexual relationships disadvantage them as women. The idea is that a F/F relationship has the potential to be more egalitarian without traditional gender role expectations. Because straight men are advantaged by those expectations, there would be no reason for them to see a M/M relationship as an opportunity to escape them.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

yovargas wrote:(as long as people believe in the Bible as the word of god, we can't really expect better).
I love Reform Judaism for so many reasons, one of which is that it allows me to say to this, "Yes, we can." The fact that the largest Jewish denomination in America, which very much retains the book of Leviticus in its canon, openly embraces gay members and performs same-sex religious marriage ceremonies illustrates that "better" (i.e., true equality) is quite reasonable to expect of Judeo-Christian religious communities.
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Not that I'm super familiar with Judaism but the Jewish faith seems to take very different attitudes to this sort of thing. Asking Christians to replace god's views with their own would really require it to be just a different religion altogether. I don't really think it's fair to ask or expect that of people. (Which was a point I tried to make a long time ago to many people's angry response. Essentially, I don't think you can justly blame bible believers for what the bible says.)
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I think that is unfair. There are plenty of Christian denominations that are embracing of same sex relationships. Probably there are more Christian-sanctioned same-sex marriages than Jewish-sanctioned by number, though not by percentage.

I think in 20 years this will be a non-issue. That doesn't help people now, but in the greater scheme of things, that is a blink of an eye.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I think that is unfair. There are plenty of Christian denominations that are embracing of same sex relationships.
Yes, but most that are doing that aren't of the "Bible is the literal word of god" persuasion. At least not that I've noticed. I don't think there's a solid way around the fact that if you believe the Bible is the literal word of god, than you should probably view gay sex as a sin.
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Nor are the Jews.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

yovargas wrote: I don't think there's a solid way around the fact that if you believe the Bible is the literal word of god, than you should probably view gay sex as a sin.
I think the point is that there are ways to be either Jewish or Christian without believing the Bible is the literal word of god. Belief that the Bible is literally the word of god only becomes problematic if it causes one to take a prejudiced view of any group that cannot even be logically substantiated. In that case, the belief is problematic and should be foregone; the fact that it is a belief does not somehow render it automatically legitimate and worthy of respect. (...as any of us could conclude if confronted with a person who believed that he or she was entitled to execute their children for being consistently disobedient, in keeping with the putative "literal word of god.")
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

What nel said better than I would have.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, I thought that was well said as well, and I also agree with it.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

nerdanel wrote:
yovargas wrote: I don't think there's a solid way around the fact that if you believe the Bible is the literal word of god, than you should probably view gay sex as a sin.
I think the point is that there are ways to be either Jewish or Christian without believing the Bible is the literal word of god.
And when the Bible being the literal word of god is a core portion of your religious beliefs, as it is for many millions of Christians, then this is essentially telling people that they should be of different religion altogether, as I said earlier. I think saying "Your group of people should make a major, deeply fundamental change on your religious perspective so that my group of people is more socially accepted" is hugely problematic, and honestly fairly self-centered. It's hugely unfair of me to ask "them" to make major considerations of what my sexuality means to me if I am unwilling to make any considerations for what belief in the Bible means to "them".
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That's kind of you, yov, it really is, I'm not being sarcastic. The problem arises where group A's lifestyle makes group B "uncomfortable" and therefore group B makes group A's lifestyle illegal.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

yovargas wrote:And when the Bible being the literal word of god is a core portion of your religious beliefs, as it is for many millions of Christians, then this is essentially telling people that they should be of different religion altogether, as I said earlier. I think saying "Your group of people should make a major, deeply fundamental change on your religious perspective so that my group of people is more socially accepted" is hugely problematic, and honestly fairly self-centered. It's hugely unfair of me to ask "them" to make major considerations of what my sexuality means to me if I am unwilling to make any considerations for what belief in the Bible means to "them".
Where the price of adhering to a specific irrational religious belief is to marginalize a group of people, including people raised within the faith in question who are brought up to believe they are "less than," I have no problem with demanding the major, deeply fundamental change necessary to rectify this discrimination. As a different example, I'd cite the exclusion of women from the priesthood/ministry of various Christian denominations, which is commonly claimed to be Biblically grounded (as the Catholics explained it to me as a kid, the church is modeled on Jesus' selection of disciples, who are deemed to be all male.) This "belief" that women cannot be religious leaders on equal terms with men - and in a position of religious authority over the men in their church - is vastly harmful to women in the churches in question. Even if I could excuse the harm to the adult women on the grounds that they are choosing to remain within a discriminatory environment, it is absolutely inexcusable to expose young children to such gender discrimination, thus causing them to learn exclusion of women is acceptable and religiously-sanctioned. I have absolutely no problem with saying that the irrational exclusion of women from the priesthood/ministry must end. Perhaps more importantly, had other women not demanded such changes of their denominations - had they instead meekly deferred to the sexist setups created by men - no denomination of Christianity (or Judaism) would enjoy a priesthood/ministry/rabbinate with gender equality today. Deference to prejudice - on the grounds that that prejudice has been termed a "religious belief" - only enshrines an unjust status quo.

For me, this same reasoning applies to sexual orientation, but the gender analogy is instructive for another reason. You are establishing a false dichotomy between the gay community and the community of conservative Christians with the your people/my people argument. Indeed, as the story to which you linked showcases, there is overlap between the groups - and where the homophobia of conservative Christians becomes most problematic is vis-a-vis the gay members of their congregations, especially the youth who may not be able to leave easily or freely. For the rest of us, I agree with Frelga that the problem is limited to these groups trying to make recognition of same-sex relationships illegal. But their beliefs are problematic and will be in need of change even once we have legal equality, because there is no way for them to profess those beliefs without doing extreme harm to gay youth who are raised within their congregations.

(NB In saying that these beliefs are problematic and in need of change, I am not violating anyone's First Amendment right to religious freedom, i.e., I am not urging that the government should intervene. I am merely exercising my own First Amendment right to free speech. These congregations have a legal right to speak against homosexuality - but not to do so without facing criticism.)

grammar edit
Last edited by nerdanel on Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I'm pretty sure anyone who says the Bible is the literal word of God in every respect and must be followed in every particular because of that is actually not living life that way, but rather in accordance with some human interpretation of what the Bible "says."

In other words, to follow what nel says above, something that feels like "simply following the literal truth of the Bible," may well in fact be acting on the basis of prejudice, born from a particular social context.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I think it is not possible to "follow the literal truth of the Bible"—logically impossible because the Bible contradicts itself, and morally impossible because some of what is commanded or shown as exemplary is repellent by standards of civilized behavior that I am sure most Christians of any degree of conservatism would uphold.

So, yes, what Teremia said—Christians who believe they're following the Bible literally are actually following an interpretation of the Bible literally. Even they are "picking and choosing"—it's not just the liberals doing that.

I have strong sympathy with the appeal of believing that one is being consistent, following an absolute path, leaving nothing to human decision but rather following divine word. It's not what I would choose, but it's a kind of moral armor that makes actual life maybe easier to navigate—in the decision phase, at least, though maybe not in the phase of living out the decisions.

On the other hand, we are not preprogrammed robots, and I have to believe that God doesn't mean us to be. "Sin" (making our own choices, for good or evil, without regard to our understanding of God's will) is part of the design specification. The same freedom that makes sin possible is what makes great moral achievement possible. IMO. Otherwise we're just machines—"virtue in, virtue out." I can't imagine God rejoicing in a clockwork universe.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

nerdanel wrote:Where the price of adhering to a specific irrational religious belief is to marginalize a group of people, including people raised within the faith in question who are brought up to believe they are "less than," I have no problem with demanding the major, deeply fundamental change necessary to rectify this discrimination.
You can demand all you want but why should that person listen to you over their god?
-The Decemberists

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

If it was that easy to follow the literal word of God, there would be only one fundamentalist denomination. Yet those who say they do exactly that are often most at odds with others who also say they do exactly that. Usually at Christmas dinner. :P

That said, I think it is extreme to expect people to change their beliefs because they are no longer morally acceptable to the majority. Expecting people to follow the law of the land, however is rather less so. For society as a whole this will, as V-man noted, be a non-issue relatively soon; for that section of society where it remains an issue, it will be rolled up with the rest of the issues arising from the gap between what they believe and what everyone else believes.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Frelga wrote:That's kind of you, yov, it really is, I'm not being sarcastic. The problem arises where group A's lifestyle makes group B "uncomfortable" and therefore group B makes group A's lifestyle illegal.
Two things:

- while it may be kind (I do try my best to understand my "opponent's" viewpoints) I also think what I'm talking about is the best way to make progress and improve social acceptance of gays & lesbians within this brand of religion. So it serves "my" group's interests too, IMO.

- since the Bible doesn't mention much of anything about what should or shouldn't be legal, that one is a fight that I think can and will be won even amongst the most fundamentalist of fundamentalists. Much like there are still many people who think divorce is a sin but I've never heard of anyone thinking it shouldn't be legal.
-The Decemberists

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

You guyz ought to read this:

http://www.ajjacobs.com/books/yolb.asp

It's a very good book.
nerdanel wrote:(I've lost count of how many straight women in my age group I've met who say that they would really be interested in dating a woman - and can see substantial advantages to having a female rather than male partner - were it not for the discrimination agagainst same-sex relationships, parental anger, etc.) And that's the direction in which I'd like to see society head.
So . . . being gay is a "lifestyle"? Is that what you're saying? A choice? For at least some?

I, speaking only for myself, can't imagine anything less likely than becoming involved in a relationship with another woman if that relationship was to mean "a sexual relationship".

What other people are, or choose to be, I don't much care about. But I remember being very discombobulated by reading, long ago, a comment that "older or elderly" women could always take up a sexual relationship with another women because there aren't many men interested in a woman over 50. (Could have been Germaine Greer, sounds like something she would say.) This troubles on so many levels I just got discombobulated all over again.

It might suit some. But when you stop to think about it, what does it mean?
Dig deeper.