Are our supply chains breaking?

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Are our supply chains breaking?

Post by Frelga »

To keep the covid thread on topic, I'm posting some info in the supply chain problems in a new thread.

This one is about the shortage of truckers. A thread by the author of a new book on the subject. TL:DR - burnout.

And a link roundup by a PhD and also a book author

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Are our supply chains breaking?

Post by elengil »

oh dear.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

This in yesterday’s WSJ: will read whole article & summarize:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

I realize that this is going to negatively impact people across the world, and especially hit certain demographics harder than others, but this tiny little part of me is still trying desperately to put some kind of silver lining on this, like maybe, just maybe, this might begin to crack this hyper-consumeristic social structure we've built where we equate buying things with happiness, success, or sex. Which leads back to that Edward Bernays documentary that I'm still riled up about.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Our economy was artificially fluffed up to extract the most money out of everyone. Perhaps it's time to be satisfied with less. This won't happen, though without some governmental reign in of the corporations that are trying to convince us we need more.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I honestly doubt that there is much the government can do to dampen consumer demand.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I'm still appalled that crutches are in short supply. That's such a very basic tool. What are people supposed to do? Whittle a tree branch to hobble around with?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

UK tried to fix the truck driver shortage by offering restricted, 3-month visas to EU drivers in time for Christmas. So far, the response appears to be, "Hahaha, no."
20210929_093425.jpg
20210929_093425.jpg (56.46 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Supply chain problems worked out in my favor for once. My favorite brand of face cream put an insert into their box saying that they were out of 1.4 oz. jars so they are selling 1.7 oz. for the same price.