The 2008 Presidential Campaign (was Obama Phenomenon 2)

Discussions of and about the historic 2008 U.S. Presidential Election
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

I'd like to donate to Obama, but I don't have a working US credit card anymore. I have my checkbook here though. Wonder if he takes checks? Though I'm not sure it's worth the paltry amount I'd be able to give.

Anyway, the whole lipstick fiasco made it to the main BBC news. I was pleased to see that the BBC played Obama's full comment and also one of McCain using the same phrase about Hillary Clinton's healthcare plan.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Well, I think it would be interesting if the Texas thing happens. Teach them all to be more careful next time.

In all honesty, I cannot understand HOW a woman who might have supported Hillary Clinton would now support Sarah Palin. Why?

Mrs. Palin might have created enthusiasm for women who wouldn't have supported Mrs. Clinton, but that's a whole other thing. There is just no common ground beyond their gender.

Think about it! What would make anyone think, "Well, those big mean men chucked my Hillary out of the race and so I'm going to vote for McCain now, , just cuz he picked a woman !"

Absurd, I think.
Dig deeper.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

If Texans couldn't vote, that means I wouldn't get to vote for Obama. :( Though I wish I could vote in a state where my vote for a democrat would actually feel like it mattered.
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

Vison, I read something about "soft" republican women who were leaning towards Obama (quietly) who swung back to McCain over this. I agree the pro lifers and Hillary types were never going to vote for Palin.

Eru, if you go to the Obama website, there is a link for "Americans abroad". And don't think that your amount is meaningless. Over 2 million people have donated. If 2 million donated just $10 apiece, that's $20,000,000.

Eru--I wish you could vote in Colorado. We could use you! :)
Last edited by Ellienor on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

The USA Today article said
In three of four battleground states where Hispanics make up at least 10% of the voting population, Obama had a distinct advantage over Republican John McCain among Hispanic voters, according to polls Bendixen took for NDN, a Democratic think tank. In the fourth state, Florida, a poll showed the two candidates were tied, he said.
Bringing up the idea of
those here illegally
has not a thing to do with the report.

The article was clear that we are talking about the voting population - not illegals.

As for Florida, things are changing there as the Hispanic population changes. The old Republican loyalties are solid with older people but the younger people who were born here have shown a far more independent streak based on exit polling over the last years. According to the USA article, Hispanic support for McCain and Obama is equal right now in Florida. That would go a long way to neutralizing the advantage that Bush had in Florida in the last two elections.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

sauronsfinger wrote:Bringing up the idea of
those here illegally
has not a thing to do with the report.
It was only included as an afterthought to show the diversity of a population treated as more homogeneous by the USA Today article. It's not a single population.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I have plenty of pins and some bumper stickers I wouldn't mind throwing into the mail.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

I know I wouldn't mind one, but sending anything to me means international postage. :roll:
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

For those who want more information...

There is a radio interview with Mayor Bob Weinstein of Ketchikan Alaska- the city that was supposed to be the connecting point for the Bridge To Nowhere.

http://airamerica.com/maddow/blog/2008/ ... and-maddow

And this from the International edition of the NY Times regarding subpoenas in the Alaska state Palin investigation
State Sen. Hollis French says seven witnesses told the Legislature's investigator they will not provide depositions and canceled their meetings. French, who is overseeing the investigation into whether Palin abused her power, said the Legislature will subpoena witnesses.

Lawmakers say they have put the investigation on a fast track now that Palin is Republican John McCain's running mate. The investigation previously was expected to end on Oct. 31. French said the new target date for investigator Stephen Branchflower to complete the report is Oct. 10.
Just minutes ago, there was in interview on the radio with an investigative reporter from Newsweek who indicated that they expect these subpoenas to be announced by the end of this week.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

So here's the question on the "troopergate" story... when it turns out to be nothing (which it will), will it backlash on the democrats who have made a big deal about it?
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Hal - I believe the investigation by the Alaska legislature is a bi-partisan effort done with the support of legislators from both parties - Republican and Democratic.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

My understanding is that it's Alaska Republicans who were pushing the investigation, Hal, at least until Palin became the VP nominee.

I don't expect any backlash. There's something there.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

We have removed a number of posts from this thread in an excess of caution. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

This thread has gotten too long and unwieldy, so I'm going to lock it and start a new one.

Link
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Bump for placement
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."