Peter Jackson at Oxford

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Peter Jackson at Oxford

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Peter Jackson comes to Tolkien’s Oxford

Peter Jackson took part in Q&A as part of Exeter College’s celebrations of its eighth century, commemorating Tolkien, one of its most distinguished alumni. Some interesting comments, I thought.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Peter Jackson at Oxford

Post by Inanna »

I'm curious about what they meant as an "Americanized" version of LOTR.

---------------
GNU Terry Pratchett
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm curious, too. I wonder if he's gotten more specific elsewhere.

I could probably guess the kinds of changes Miramax wanted, though. Changing at least one of the Fellowship to a female character? Giving Aragorn mighty thews?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't believe I have ever heard that specific comment before.

Maybe I'll ask Kristin Thompson. She would know if anyone would.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Kristin finds it puzzling, as well.
I'm away at a film festival in Italy and haven't had a chance to read the Q&A. But the comment is puzzling. I can only guess that he means that Miramax (i.e., Michael Eisner of Disney) cut the budget and insisted on a one-film version, as I discuss in my book. That might be "Americanising" to PJ. I've never heard of anything else that they wanted to do to LOTR. Of course, the original script seems to have been aimed at Hollywood executives rather than actual audiences, but Philippa seemed to suggest when I talked to her that that was their strategy for getting the film accepted and that they planned to change it later. But that in itself had nothing to do with the split.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Thanks for carrying the question further, Voronwë.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Wow.

---------------
GNU Terry Pratchett
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Kristin finds it puzzling, as well.
I'm away at a film festival in Italy and haven't had a chance to read the Q&A. But the comment is puzzling. I can only guess that he means that Miramax (i.e., Michael Eisner of Disney) cut the budget and insisted on a one-film version, as I discuss in my book. That might be "Americanising" to PJ. I've never heard of anything else that they wanted to do to LOTR. Of course, the original script seems to have been aimed at Hollywood executives rather than actual audiences, but Philippa seemed to suggest when I talked to her that that was their strategy for getting the film accepted and that they planned to change it later. But that in itself had nothing to do with the split.
Odd. If anything, Americanization would involve turning it into six films, not one! :)
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

I can only guess Americanization refers more to things like the whole expansion of the Arwen story; or could it refer to the casting itself of several American actors? Is there a difference between Americanization and Hollywoodization?

PtB, you are certainly right that nowadays a Hollywood book adaptation nearly always means sequels, sequels, and even more sequels, but just back in 2000 a lot of high-budget films were produced where the movie stood on its own and possible sequels were at best (or worst?) something that could maybe happen if the movie succeeded at the box-office - not like today where you get a post-credits scene in every second film.

Not saying that bad/unnecessary sequels did not happen before 2000. But the sheer quantity/ratio of film franchises nowadays is simply astounding.

Does this assessment make me sound old?