Desolation of Smaug trailers (SPOILERS)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Did you have to say that, or did you just want to?
If it happened, it means it had to happen! :D
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Frodolives, at TORN, posted a brightened image of Smaug's head from the trailer:

http://pmchollywoodlife.files.wordpress ... .jpg?w=600

I for one am quite pleased with what we have seen of Smaug, though I'm not quite sure how I feel about having seen it, if that makes any sense.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Smaug has Eye of Sauron eyes.

The CGI will probably look better by December.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

PJ has posted photos from the DoS trailer on his FB page, and also has this message for fans:
Any day you can cover the wonderful Jimmy Nesbitt and his fellow dwarves in cobwebs is a good day! Work continues on pick ups here in Wellington, with a new video blog in the final stages of post and out very soon!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

SirDennis wrote:Smaug has Eye of Sauron eyes.

The CGI will probably look better by December.
I hope not! (regarding the eyes)

Tarasaurus has posted some more images here
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I thought that (about Smaug's eye) much more so in the glimpse that we had of him in AUJ than in the trailer image.

I don't see anything particularly wrong with the CGI, given the lighting in the brief glimpse that we get of him. I'm sure that we will be able to see him a lot better, but I still think he looks quite impressive. I am quite please with how expressive his face appears to have the potential to be.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

I like the shape of Smaug's head though his size relative to Bilbo is surprising to me.

The CGI looks a bit dodgy... perhaps it's my display... the blacks aren't there yet. The good news is they have plenty of time to tweak it before December.

Overall it looks like it will be a good instalment.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I know there's lots of more worrying things in the trailer for most people, but I have to say, I'm disappointed by the butterflies. One the one hand I'm delighted to see that scene make the cut, but why are they blue?
Bilbo's eyes were nearly blinded by the light. He could hear the dwarves shouting up at him from far below, but he could not answer, only hold on and blink. The sun was shining brilliantly, and it was a long while before he could bear it. When he could, he saw all round him a sea of dark green, ruffled here and there by the breeze; and there were everywhere hundreds of butterflies. I expect they were a kind of 'purple emperor,' a butterfly that loves the tops of oak-woods, but these were not purple at all, they were a dark dark velvety black without any markings to be seen.

He looked at the 'black emperors' for a long time, and enjoyed the feel of the breeze in his hair and on his face; but at length the cries of the dwarves, who were now simply stamping with impatience down below, reminded him of his real business.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Alatar wrote:why are they blue?
Cuz blue butterflies are prettier than black ones, duh.

:P
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yeah, I reckon they probably did a version with black butterflies and figured it looked creepy.
Voronwë the Faithful

In addition, supposedly it is technically difficult to render black butterflies that look right, particularly in 3D. In any event, I think that black would potentially put across the wrong message, being equated with, for instance, the black birds that Saruman sent to spy on the company in FOTR. I am obviously quite pleased with the scene, wrong color and all. It captures the emotion of what has long been one of my favorite scenes in all of Tolkien's writings.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I still would have preferred if they were at least Purple. :)
Voronwë the Faithful

Arguably it would be worse for them to be purple, since the book specifically says "these were not purple at all." :P
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Black shiny butterfly wings might have an iridescence that appears blue.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

The butterflies actually were blue. Bilbo had just gone colorblind from all his time in the dark. :P
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Watched the trailer a couple more times. I'm uneasy about Tauriel (though she could have been a lot worse - at least she's not wearing a chainmail bra or whatever) and the fact that it looks they're adding a lot of orc-elf action, including The Idiot.

On the other hand, there's a lot to like too. Lots of gorgeous scenery and sets that will be completely new, Thranduil, the butterflies, the spiders (only a quick glimpse, but I like what I see), Bard, Smaug, Beorn, etc.

This will probably be a good movie with some fantastic moments and some embarassing and/or baffling ones. In other words, it's a Peter Jackson movie. ;)
Voronwë the Faithful

That pretty much says it!
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Got to see it in real 3D with the glasses as a trailer before the Man of Steel. The CGI is much better in the 3D.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

As mentioned in the DoS Anticipation thread, the new DoS trailer is premiering at 2pm GMT today, October 1st.

Of interest to US fans may be this tweet from Sir Ian McKellen which announces that he and Orlando. Bloom are to introduce the new DOS trailer on NBC's the Today Show @ 8am EDT

https://twitter.com/TheHobbitMovie
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I changed the title of the thread so that it refers to trailers (plural) rather than just the first one.