The Hobbit DVD/Blu-Ray Releases

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

The Hobbit DVD/Blu-Ray Releases

Post by Elentári »

Apparently the French AUJ Blu-ray steelbooks are slated for release April 17th, with a choice of 4 steelbook variations:

http://s1.postimage.org/4qli78x3z/hobbit.jpg

Hopefully this date is indicative of the worldwide release...

ETA: And the German variation is different again!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Further info on the German Blu-Ray releases, courtesy of TheHutt on TORn
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Collider has a piece about the French release...
According to an ad for the French release of the Blu-ray, the disc will include 2 hours of supplemental material including a “making of” and 10 video blogs.
I hope this doesn't mean there'll be nothing new on the TE..
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Thank you for these updates Elen. April is something to look forward to.

A question for those who know more about technical things than I do..... so what about this 48 frames per second theatrical copy and how does that impact things?
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I'll defer to the experts on this, also...(as long as I get a 2D option on the Collector's EE set I don't care!)

...but meanwhile, there have been a couple of threads on the subject over on TORn, which might be of interest:

Extended editions and frame rate

New 4K TVs - Hobbit Trilogy available in super Hi-Def in near Future?
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Elentári wrote:I'll defer to the experts on this, also...(as long as I get a 2D option on the Collector's EE set I don't care!)

...but meanwhile, there have been a couple of threads on the subject over on TORn, which might be of interest:

Extended editions and frame rate

New 4K TVs - Hobbit Trilogy available in super Hi-Def in near Future?
thank you for the link and the info Elen. This was my favorite of what I read
If you type in 2:3 pulldown into google or wikipedia, you'll get a pretty good explanation though.
After I do that I will also type in the needed words to explain to me how an airplane weighing many tons with 400 people on it can fly. Both will make just as much sense to me. ;)
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Now there's a rumour we might not even have to wait until April...

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Blu-ray-R ... More/11934
A few days later on Friday, March 22, intel suggests Warner Home Video will release Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey on Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray. We don't expect a four-film set that includes The Lord of the Rings trilogy, but stranger things have happened.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

That only gives it a couple of weeks in the Chinese market. Although I suspect you can buy it on the street there right now.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Now Blu-Ray.com are advertising a March 19th release!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Hobbi ... -ray/8529/

Take no notice of the cover design - it does state "artwork TBA"
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

cool coool coooool!!!!!!!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yeah - almost out in time for my birthday! (I'll have to start hinting that I won't mind a late present this year ;) )
~Diana Cortes
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Elentári wrote:Yeah - almost out in time for my birthday! (I'll have to start hinting that I won't mind a late present this year ;) )
The release is just past (within days of) my birthday too... I hope I get something else though. A weekend alone with my love, preferably at a nice hotel, sounds about right. :love:
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

SirDennis wrote:
Elentári wrote:Yeah - almost out in time for my birthday! (I'll have to start hinting that I won't mind a late present this year ;) )
The release is just past (within days of) my birthday too... I hope I get something else though. A weekend alone with my love, preferably at a nice hotel, sounds about right. :love:
Hey, yet another March-born Halofirian! :sunny:

And yes, I must admit your birthday idea sounds much nicer than a boring old DVD!
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Blue-ray.com has the new artwork up now. Quite nice, actually:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Hobbi ... -ray/8529/

Nonetheless, I'll be waiting for the EE before buying anything.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Neat! I like that cover very much.

I'm tempted to hold out for the EE, too, but I know my kids will want the TEs.

We will see...
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I learned my lesson on LotR. I bought the theatrical versions, but haven't touched them since the EEs came out. And yes, I know there are some good things in them that were messed up in the EEs. But overall, I've gotten much more entertainment and pleasure out of the EEs. And money isn't growing on trees these days. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The only one of the TE's that I bought was ROTK, and even with that one I only watched probably once. The other ones I just rented when they came out, which is what I undoubtably do this time. And just as I bought our first DVD player when the FOTR TE came out, I will undoubtably buy our first Blue-Ray player when the AUJ TE comes out, since we do have a new (albeit small) HD TV (so the difference in quality will actually be apparent).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Pardon my ignorance, but what is so great about Blue-Ray? What IS "blue-ray" anyway? Do you have to have a special kind of TV to see it?

I watch most stuff on my computer or my "old" TV - you know, the kind that has to sit on a table and you can't hang on the wall...
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Blu-ray discs utilize a higher density storage medium that allows more data to be crammed onto a disc. This allows a higher resolution picture to be reproduced. They require a special player, although I believe all Blu-ray players can play standard DVDs and CDs as well.

If you have an older TV it's probably not something you'd notice, no. :)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

If you have a larger HD TV, blu-ray makes a big difference. If you don't, not so much.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists