The Hobbit DVD/Blu-Ray Releases

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Hm. I thought it was probably something like that. I doubt if I'd notice much difference, even if I DID have a fancy-schmancy TV. When they came out with the iPad 3, which was supposed to have this ultra-resolution screen, I checked it out in the Apple store. I ended up buying an iPad 2, since they were on sale and I could see absolutely NO difference in the screen!

:D
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I've found that well-made regular DVDs such as LotR are much sharper and clearer on our fairly large HDTV than poorly made Blu-Rays.

A well-made Blu-Ray, though—LotR or Avatar, say—is stunning. My not-so-great eyes see a definite difference, and I do appreciate the cinematic level of detail.

But analog film has many times the resolution of Blu-Ray, which is why you can get Blu-Rays of old movies and TV shows. I suppose if the media mongers get their way and we all have screens that cover entire walls of our houses, we'll want 4K resolution or better.

But at that point I personally will climb a mountain with a well-stocked Kindle and become a hermit.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Nah, they'll go small. Direct neural hookups to your optic and auditory nerves. With optional Feelaround. :abducted:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Would it make a difference on a 32 inch HD TV? Like Jewel, I don't usually notice much difference between screens, but the difference between this TV and our old TV (which was about the same size screen) is astounding.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

If you have HD you will likely notice the difference.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

If it's 1080p HD especially.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

720p, I believe.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Finally!

The Hobbit Blu-rays Officially Announced and Detailed
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has officially announced and detailed both the standard Blu-ray/DVD/UltraViolet and 3D BD/DVD/Ultraviolet Combo Pack releases of director Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Both versions of the theatrical cut of the film are set to feature DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 surround, and arrive on Blu-ray on March 19th.

Standard Blu-ray Combo Pack
3D Blu-ray Combo Pack
Official synopsis: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is the first chapter in Peter Jackson's new epic trilogy set in Middle-Earth 60 years before J.R.R. Toklien's "The Lord of the Rings" saga. Follow Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman) as he's swept into a quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor, long ago conquered by the dragon Smaug. Approached by the wizard Gandalf the Grey (Ian McKellen), Bilbo finds himself joining a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitage). Their journey will take them through treacherous lands swarming with Goblins and Orcs, deadly Wargs, giant Spiders, Shapeshifters and Sorcerers. They must escape the goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets the creature Gollum (Andy Serkis), who will change his life forever. Alone with Gollum on the shores of an underground lake, the unassuming Bilbo Baggins not only discovers guile and courage that surprise him, he also gains possession of Gollum's "precious" ring that holds unexpected and useful qualities, tied to the fate of all Middle-Earth. Several key talent members from The Lord of the Rings trilogy reprise their roles, along with exciting new cast members.

Cover art is final. Special features available on both the 2D and 3D editions of the film include:

New Zealand: Home of Middle Earth
Video Blogs

Start of Production
Location Scouting
Shooting Block One
Filming in 3D
Locations Part 1
Locations Part 2
Stone St. Studios Tour
Wrap of Principal Photography
Post-production Overview
Wellington World Premiere
Theatrical Trailers

Dwarves
Letter Opener
Bilbo Contract
Gandalf Wagers
Gollum Paths
Game Trailers

The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle-Earth
Guardians of Middle-Earth
Lego The Lord of the Rings

Standard DVD copy of An Unexpected Journey (2D)
UltraViolet digital copy An Unexpected Journey (2D) (expires 3/19/15)
Last edited by Elentári on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/02 ... urce=pubv1
From Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson comes “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” a production of New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures (MGM), arriving on Digital Download on March 12th and on Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack and 2-Disc DVD Special Edition on March 19th from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. All disc versions feature UltraVioletÔ and over 130 minutes of bonus content.The first of a trilogy of films adapting the enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien, “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” which is nominated for three Academy Awards*, is an epic adventure that immerses audiences once again in the fantastical world of Middle-earth. The March 19th home entertainment release will be followed by an Extended Edition in time for the holidays.
In addition, Peter Jackson will host a live first look at “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” the second film in The Hobbit Trilogy, on Sunday, March 24th at 3:00PM Eastern/Noon Pacific. Content will be streamed live and an edited version will be archived on the Trilogy’s official website.
Access to the live event will be limited to holders of an UltraViolet code available by purchasing “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack or 2-Disc Special Edition DVD. Select digital retailers will issue access codes upon purchase of the film.
Also of interest:
“The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” will be available on 3-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack for $35.99, on 5-Disc Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack for $44.95, and on 2-Disc DVD Special Edition for $28.98. The Blu-ray Combo Pack features the theatrical version of the film in hi-definition on Blu-ray, and the theatrical version in standard definition on DVD. The 3D Blu-ray Combo Pack features the theatrical version of the film in 3D hi-definition on Blu-ray, the theatrical version of the film in 2D high definition on Blu-ray and the theatrical version in standard definition on DVD. The Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack and the 2-Disc DVD Special Edition all include UltraViolet, which allows consumers to download and instantly stream the standard definition theatrical version of the film to a wide range of devices including computers and compatible tablets, smartphones, game consoles, Internet-connected TVs and Blu-ray players.*
Special Features seem to be just the Production Blogs:
Full Suite of Peter Jackson’s Production Videos. Enter Middle-earth of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey as Academy Award-winning Director Peter Jackson takes you behind the scenes, on location and amidst the star-studded cast in a series of video journals that puts you in the forefront of latest in filmmaking with more than two hours of additional content. Highlights of the journals include:

Start of Production
Location Scouting
Filming in 3D
Post-production Overview
Wellington World Premiere
ETA: Cross posted with Elen.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

WOW!!!! thanks to both Elen & Alatar for this terrific news. I dont honestly know what I am more excited about - the DVD or seeing the SMAUG trailer feature.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Voronwë the Faithful

Alatar wrote:In addition, Peter Jackson will host a live first look at “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” the second film in The Hobbit Trilogy, on Sunday, March 24th at 3:00PM Eastern/Noon Pacific. Content will be streamed live and an edited version will be archived on the Trilogy’s official website. [/b]Access to the live event will be limited to holders of an UltraViolet code available by purchasing “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack or 2-Disc Special Edition DVD. Select digital retailers will issue access codes upon purchase of the film.
Ooh, that's mean!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Alatar wrote:In addition, Peter Jackson will host a live first look at “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” the second film in The Hobbit Trilogy, on Sunday, March 24th at 3:00PM Eastern/Noon Pacific. Content will be streamed live and an edited version will be archived on the Trilogy’s official website. Access to the live event will be limited to holders of an UltraViolet code available by purchasing “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack or 2-Disc Special Edition DVD. Select digital retailers will issue access codes upon purchase of the film.
Ooh, that's mean!
Certainly seems WB are worried about fans holding out for the EEs instead of purchasing the TE...

And what does "select digital retailers" mean? Will I not get the code if I order from Amazon or buy it in the local supermarket???
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Elentári wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Alatar wrote:In addition, Peter Jackson will host a live first look at “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” the second film in The Hobbit Trilogy, on Sunday, March 24th at 3:00PM Eastern/Noon Pacific. Content will be streamed live and an edited version will be archived on the Trilogy’s official website. Access to the live event will be limited to holders of an UltraViolet code available by purchasing “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack or 2-Disc Special Edition DVD. Select digital retailers will issue access codes upon purchase of the film.
Ooh, that's mean!
Certainly seems WB are worried about fans holding out for the EEs instead of purchasing the TE...

And what does "select digital retailers" mean? Will I not get the code if I order from Amazon or buy it in the local supermarket???
I see a guy in an alley with a dark hat pulled low over his face saying "ppssst - you need that code?"
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
eborr

Post by eborr »

We have a big tv and there is a noticable difference in the quality of the Blue Ray on some films more than others. Avatar looks wonderful, where as on the ealy Harry Pooter films transitions the difference is marginal
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

eborr wrote:We have a big tv and there is a noticable difference in the quality of the Blue Ray on some films more than others. Avatar looks wonderful, where as on the ealy Harry Pooter films transitions the difference is marginal
Having big 1080p TV does make a difference...mostly I see it in the older stuff compared to the newer blu-ray stuff. Avatar is amazing but some of the older stuff looks even more cheezy IMHO.

And yes for the release of AUJ in March, I have a young friend who will be thrilled that he doesn't have to wait until December like he though he would. He's in a place in the world that he can't go to the movies to see it and was totally bummed he wouldn't be able to see it when he gets home in May.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

sauronsfinger wrote:
Elentári wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Ooh, that's mean!

I see a guy in an alley with a dark hat pulled low over his face saying "ppssst - you need that code?"
Really? :scratch: I thought you didn't wear a hat... :P
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Elentári wrote:
sauronsfinger wrote:
Elentári wrote: Certainly seems WB are worried about fans holding out for the EEs instead of purchasing the TE...

Really? :scratch: I thought you didn't wear a hat... :P
its the hat hair that keeps me away from the fashion statement. I am VERY vain about my hair. A true Child of the Sixties and all that. Although if I could find something in a big purple wide brim number with a gold buckle and peacock feather -that just might convert me.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I know what you mean about the hat hair...I have the same problem. 'Course us women get around that problem with fascinators...

So let me get this straight: in order to get this code I need to be looking out for a shady guy in a large purple, feathered, wide-brimmed hat...and I need to give him the rights to our SIL script, to do whatever he pleases with, and never see him again???

:scratch: sure there should be a suitcase full of money involved in there somewhere...
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Elentári wrote:I know what you mean about the hat hair...I have the same problem. 'Course us women get around that problem with fascinators...

So let me get this straight: in order to get this code I need to be looking out for a shady guy in a large purple, feathered, wide-brimmed hat...and I need to give him the rights to our SIL script, to do whatever he pleases with, and never see him again???

:scratch: sure there should be a suitcase full of money involved in there somewhere...
Exactly. I believe Hemingway said something about a writer and a producer meeting at midnight on the beach..... the author tosses the book to the producer who in turn tosses a suitcase filled with money back to the author and that is how film deals from books get done.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Damn, I need to find that beach.