The Hobbit - Awards thread

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Primula Baggins wrote:The Hobbit was shut out at the BAFTAs, losing Visual Effects to Life of Pi and losing Sound as well as Makeup and Hair to Les Miserables.
'fraid so...but Stephen Fry was on good form!

BAFTA, "Are we nearly home yet,Gandalf?"

:rofl:
Last edited by Elentári on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

We watched the (severely trimmed) BBC America broadcast precisely to see Stephen Fry. But the whole thing was fun. The version of the red carpet we saw was interspersed with clips of funny bits from past BAFTAs, and they actually were funny. You Brits know how to do it. :P

One of my favorite moments was when a presenter came out after a fulsome (in so many senses of the word) intro from Stephen Fry and greeted the applause with "Ladies! Gentlemen! . . . Stephen. . . ."

Stephen Fry is a world treasure. I say this despite having unfollowed him on Twitter because sometimes it gets to be a bit much.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I have to say, I'm fairly shocked that there seems to be a significant number of people that were offended by his comments. I thought it was good lighthearted fun.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I was going to mention that, too, V - seems there are people who just do not get the British self-deprecating humour.

The world might well be a better place if more people took themselves less seriously! :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, I've never been accused of not taking myself too seriously (;); how's that for a lovely double negative?), and I'm not particularly overly attuned to British humour either, but I still thought it was quite funny and not at all inappropriate.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey leads the nominations for the 39th Annual Saturn Awards.

The Hobbit has nine nominations for Best Fantasy Film, Best Actor and Supporting Actor, Director, Design, Music, Costume, Make-up and Special Effects.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Failed to win any Oscars. It was favored for the make-up and hair-styling award (or at least so I heard), but it went to Les Miz.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Disappointing, for sure, but we kinda knew things were going to be that way...there's the "more of the same" argument to be had, or possibly the Academy (quite rightly) sees this as one story told over 3 films, and it isn't done yet. Saying that, FotR was in the same position and it got 13 nominations, including best picture and director, and it won 4 in the technical categories. So it didn't suffer from being the first of a trilogy...perhaps the problem goes deeper? For sure, the HFR critical reception must have hurt, as well as the change from 2 to 3 films, etc...

Anyhow, films like Les Mis and Life of Pi only had one shot at an Oscar so it makes sense for them to get the nod, even if we quibble about whether they were better than AUJ in those categories. I still reckon we will be realistically looking at awards in the technical categories for the next two films, but you never know... Hopefully HOBBIT's time will come with There and Back Again.

BTW - how come ARGO won for Best Picture without Ben Affleck even being nominated in the Best Director category? Guess the director's job is not that significant after all!
~Diana Cortes
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Elentári wrote: BTW - how come ARGO won for Best Picture without Ben Affleck even being nominated in the Best Director category? Guess the director's job is not that significant after all!
Because everyone in the Academy votes for best pic, and only directors vote on the director prize, as I understand it. The increase of the number of best pic nominees also muddies the water: the chances of similar films splitting the vote and letting a "weaker" picture win increases, I'd expect.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I also think it's possible for a film to have unexceptional directing but still be great thanks to other aspects like a great screenplay and top-notch acting.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

[double post]
Last edited by kzer_za on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I think Argo's directing was quite good, actually. Affleck pulled off some great suspense and managed to have me on the edge of my seat even though I already knew what would happen.

While The Hobbit is my favorite movie of the year, I don't think it's the best. I'm inclined to forgive its faults because of my fondness for the source material and because I generally like Peter Jackson's handling of Tolkien despite his excesses. But I think most of us here can agree that the movie does have some problems as a film (not just an adaptation). I had to watch it multiple times before I came to love it, and I still have some issues. Many on this forum seem to have had a similar experience. You can't tell someone who isn't a serious Tolkien geek "watch it a couple more times and you'll like it better."

While I don't have the same personal attachment to Lincoln and Argo and I'm sure I will watch The Hobbit many more times, I'd say they're better movies. Lincoln is an excellent movie with an all-time great performance and only a couple of minor missteps. While Argo doesn't have the ambition of Lincoln or The Hobbit and doesn't hit as many high points, it succeeds at everything it sets out to do.

On the other hand, I would rank The Hobbit ahead of Les Mis, Django Unchained, and Beasts of the Southern Wild though. I thought Beasts was the best of those three and it's worth seeing, though I felt like it was a little too obviously influenced by Terence Malick (I wonder what Shelob'sAppetite would say to that? ;) )
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Affleck won the Golden Globe for best director, but more significantly also won the award given by the Directors' Guild of America. The DGA is larger than the pool of Academy directors.

Nominations for the Oscars come from the relevant specialties, except for Best Picture, for which the whole Academy can enter nominations. But the whole Academy votes in every category. I think that's how Les Miz won in makeup and hair; popular movies tend to get votes in all categories.

I do think a lot of voters still remember RotK's sweep and think The Hobbit is just more of the same and that it's already been rewarded.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Primula Baggins wrote: Nominations for the Oscars come from the relevant specialties, except for Best Picture, for which the whole Academy can enter nominations. But the whole Academy votes in every category.
Even the technical categories?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

kzer_za wrote: While The Hobbit is my favorite movie of the year, I don't think it's the best. I'm inclined to forgive its faults because of my fondness for the source material and because I generally like Peter Jackson's handling of Tolkien despite his excesses. But I think most of us here can agree that the movie does have some problems as a film (not just an adaptation).
Oh definitely...I don't think anyone would claim TH should have been up for best adapted screenplay/picture/director awards this time round! Its main strength (alongside the innovative technology) was always going to be in the visualization of M-e - the costumes/make-up/production design, etc. - and it is a shame that these haven't been recognized so far. At least Weta Digital has received something for its work on Gollum.
~Diana Cortes
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

My only disappointment was that Moonrise Kingdom didn't win anything.

Well that and Bradley Cooper gave the best acting performance of anyone in Silver Linings Playbook, so it's weird that Jennifer Lawrence won and he didn't... but the competition was pretty hard in the lead actor category.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

halplm wrote:My only disappointment was that Moonrise Kingdom didn't win anything.

Well that and Bradley Cooper gave the best acting performance of anyone in Silver Linings Playbook, so it's weird that Jennifer Lawrence won and he didn't... but the competition was pretty hard in the lead actor category.
Agree Hal about Moonrise Kingdom, it was a very good movie.

I'm not surprised by those who won, they were good movies. Argo, excellent. Daniel Day-Lewis is just that good, but also agree Bradley was excellent. Jennifer Lawrence can act her chops off, but I've thought that since seeing Wintersbone. And I will probably have to give up my Tolkien membership because I thought Life of Pi deserved its wins, it was just stunning.

I am disappointed that The Hobbit didn't get nominated for other awards, but there is always the next film.

That all said I can't believe that Naomi Watts was the only thing nominated for The Impossible. I was hoping for a tie between her and Anne, they were both that good.

And one bright point is this, Hansel and Gretel probably won't ever be nominated for anything. ;) And the Razzies got their awards completely right.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

axordil wrote:
Primula Baggins wrote: Nominations for the Oscars come from the relevant specialties, except for Best Picture, for which the whole Academy can enter nominations. But the whole Academy votes in every category.
Even the technical categories?
Yes, which is one reason the technical Oscars sometimes seem "off"—only the pool of nominees is picked by people who work in the specialty; the winner is chosen by people who may know nothing about the technical crafts, since many Academy members are actors or studio executives.

(Also? Oscar voters are 94% white, 77% male, and the median age [half are older, half are younger] is 62, according to a story in the LA Times.)

The guild awards are interesting, especially when they differ from the Oscar.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

THE HOBBIT: AUJ has won best SciFi/Fantasy film at the Empire Awards, and Martin Freeman has picked up the Best Actor award...

Jameson Empire Awards 2013
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

TH:AUJ has been nominated for "Best Dramatic Presentation, long form" in this year's Hugo Awards

Similarly, in the Canadian Constellation SciFi awards, AUJ has been nominated for "Best Science Fiction Film, TV Movie, or Mini-Series of 2012" and Martin Freeman is up for "Best Male Performance in a 2012 Science Fiction Film, TV Movie, or Mini-Series."
~Diana Cortes