The Desolation of Smaug anticipation thread [SPOILERS]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

halplm wrote: The wheels didn't fall off of LOTR until TTT...

TTT was my favorite of the LOTR films by a good margin so hush. :P
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

PJ says the barrel escape is "relatively early." Does this mean we'll be through Beorn, Mirkwood, and Thranduil/Legolas Tauriel pretty quickly? Well, I guess in movies this long, "relatively early" could be more than an hour in.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Where does he say that?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

PJ says it right at the beginning of the interview, in answer to the first question!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Which interview? Oh, you mean the interview that, let's see, who posted? Oh yeah, I posted.

:oops:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

:headpat:
Nevermind, V... Here's a spoiler picture of the Master of Laketown for you!

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/laketown
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Mirkwood is an excellent match for the long slog in the second half of a movie. Not sure how well it will work at the start of one.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Well, if you're going to get to the end of the Smaug story by the end of the second film, they can't spend much time in Mirkwood...
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

As it happens, I was listening to the BBC Radio dramatixation of the Hobbit on a long drive yesterday, and the completely gloseed over the first part of Mirkwood, I don't think there was even mention of the hart, and the narrator just described the crossing of the enchanted river and Bombur's subsequent enchanted sleep. They only went back to dramatizing the events at the point the Elves' fires start to appear.

I can't see PJ being able to gloss over that much, and indeed, we've seen stills of Thorin shooting the hart, and of Bombur being carried...
~Diana Cortes
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

Lets see, in Desolation I would like the following:

1. For Bilbo to emerge as a leader of the troop as he does in the book; the spider attack of course and the rescue.

2. Corny but I want to see the Elves get drunk and pass out in barrels out of bond.

3. Meeting Bard, the handling of the singing of the Return of the King under the Mountain and the trip to the mountain with lots of foreboding.

4. The finding of the secret door on Durin's Day

5. The opening of the door, the travel down the passage way and the meeting with Smaug. Will Bilbo steal Thror's cup first?
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

ETA: edited to say potential "SPOILERS!!!" in the DG part of the storyline (which are somewhat disconcerting to me, anyway!)

10 Things You'll See In The Hobbit 2 And 3

EMPIRE Online takes a humorous look at "What to expect when you're on an unexpected journey..."
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

It sounds like they are just combining things that have been reported elsewhere, as opposed to having any inside information of their own. The Gandalf/Dol Guldur thing was the only one I hadn't heard before, and we still don't know the Beorn one isn't just mistranslation.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Even so, poor old Celeborn is once again getting short shrift at the expense of "Girl Power..." One would have thought he would be included in any attack on DG, at least in support of his wife, but there's never been any indication that Marton Czokas would be returning.

BTW, EMPIRE rather have egg on their face with this statement:

"Just as Azog didn’t appear in Tolkien’s book, Bolg is a new character..."

:doh:

Unless, of course, they are referring to Conan Steven's character of the torturer of DG, which is named BOLG but is made up, but still...
~Diana Cortes
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

If there's one thing I agree with Shelob's Appetite on, it's that Bolg's design is hideously bad. :(
Voronwë the Faithful

Whereas I like Bolg's design much better than Azog's. Azog just looks fake, where as Bolg is quite terrifying (in an outrageous way).
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Galadriel doesn't seem particularly shaken when she learns about Gandalf's death in FotR. That may seem incongruent given everything that apparently happens between them here.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Dave_LF wrote:Galadriel doesn't seem particularly shaken when she learns about Gandalf's death in FotR.
Oh, I disagree. When she says, "He has fallen into the shadow" I think she seems totally shocked and grieved. Did you expect her to burst into tears?
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Well; she could have "cried aloud in grief and amazement," instead of launching into a speech about how everyone is safe now and can go rest.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Frelga wrote:"We guys" got three hours (times however many viewings) of fun out of the first film. :P
Not to mention a couple of scenes that are among the best ever filmed evah.

In my humble opinion.
Specify the scenes?

(Me, I was thrilled with every second of celluloid in Bag End).
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful

I was particularly referring to the singing of 'Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold' and Bilbo's reaction to it, as well as his regret and loneliness the following morning, and the Riddles scene, and particularly Bilbo's moment of Pity. Also, on a different level, the 'Good Morning' interaction between Gandalf and Bilbo, which I have loved for so long, and was so brilliantly pulled off.