Critical Reception of The Hobbit: AUJ [Massive SPOILERS!]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Quite pleased to see that Bob Mondello of NPR liked it (since he is the only critic that I ever pay attention to):

A 'Hobbit,' Off On His Unhurried Journey
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Elf city? I've never thought of it as a city.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:This is rich, from a luke-warm review by Peter Travers in Rolling Stone:
As if to remind Rings fans that they're in the same territory, Jackson does things Tolkien never imagined, such as bringing in the elf city of Rivendell
Really? Tolkien would never bring the elf city of Rivendell into the story of The Hobbit? Who knew?

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/revi ... z2EymWrngF
Travers is the worst of the "top critics," IMO.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Here is Lane's review: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/c ... inema_lane

Quite a nice read, although I hope I disagree with him about Radagast.
I've always disliked the rabbit sled idea....maybe Lane has similar objections to it and Radagast, himself, is acceptable.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Something's Rotten in Denmark Tomatoes percentages are converging. Last I checked just a while ago (to be precise), "all critics" was at 69% and "top critics" was at 49%
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Quite pleased to see that Bob Mondello of NPR liked it (since he is the only critic that I ever pay attention to):

A 'Hobbit,' Off On His Unhurried Journey
Its very encouraging to see Mondello's generally positive review, though he does say the film's depth is "technological" and not "story."

In any event, his taste often aligns with mine, so I'm pleased.

Though I usually trust Salon, and their reviewer wasn't won over...

Honestly, I have little to no idea how good this film is. I think there is a 49% chance that I will hate it, a 49% chance that I will like it, and a 2% chance that I will love it.
Voronwë the Faithful

I still think that you will love some of it, and hate some of it. The real question is what the percentage is, and which side outbalances the other. We'll see. Personally, I think spoiling is a good thing, because it lowers the shock value. We have a pretty good idea of what we are in for.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Major spoilers in this review in one of American's most revered publications:

'The Hobbit' To Feature 53-Minute-Long Scene Of Bilbo Baggins Trying To Figure Out What To Pack
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Major spoilers in this review in one of American's most revered publications:

'The Hobbit' To Feature 53-Minute-Long Scene Of Bilbo Baggins Trying To Figure Out What To Pack
:rofl: That's just brilliant!

And here's an eqully brilliant article on HFR as utilized in The Hobbit, from Russ Fisher of Slashfilm, who gives a lucid and helpful explanation of just what viewers are seeing at 48fps and why Jackson should be applauded...

High Frame Rate and ‘The Hobbit:’ The Allure of Middle-Earth is Crystal Clear at 48fps
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I still think that you will love some of it, and hate some of it. The real question is what the percentage is, and which side outbalances the other. We'll see. Personally, I think spoiling is a good thing, because it lowers the shock value. We have a pretty good idea of what we are in for.
I'm pretty certain I'll enjoy the movie, but it could range from "I loved it" to "It was good despite PJ's best efforts to ruin it." It's hard to say - lots of reviewers and fans are saying opposite things, not just their overall opinions but about specific aspects (is it too slow or too actiony?) I am relatively unspoiled, having watched very little footage since the second trailer.

I do wonder how much HFR is affecting reviewers' perceptions of the rest of the movie. Would reviewers be focusing on the technology and special effects (whether they praise it or criticize it) less if the format weren't a technological showpiece? It may have been a mistake to show it to everyone in 48FPS. Regardless, I'm going low-tech 24FPS 2D.
Last edited by kzer_za on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I like the discussion after the article too, which touches on the philosophical and aesthetic questions surrounding HFR. The biggie for me in this area is one of the invisibility of craft, which is not quite the same thing as immersion. Is the slight blur and thus forgiving nature of 24 FPS an integral part of the modern film experience, on just a holdover from the transition to sound, 80 years ago?

Really, the best analogy I can come up with is someone who has seen nothing but proscenium-based theater plunking down into their seat and discovering the production of Henry V they're watching is half-staged in the audience, including the swordfights. It's going to be disconcerting. A lot of people will be very nervous. You have to use different makeup and costume and blocking techniques...and be very careful with props. ;)

But it could also be *very* cool. I'll let you know what I think later today over in the HOF review thread, and then revisit it after the second viewing tomorrow.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

When you come down to it, a lot of what happens in movies is ridiculous. We've learned that movies have different rules than real life, but 48fps makes things look like real life. I kind of wonder whether that confuses the brain a bit and suddenly the typical ridiculous movie stuff actually looks ridiculous. This would explain the reaction from Gloin_The_Dark, for example, who found the music overwrought and overemotional until he rewatched at 24fps.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Major spoilers in this review in one of American's most revered publications:

And he still forgot his pocket handkerchief? There's no excuse I will accept.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Dave_LF wrote:

And he still forgot his pocket handkerchief? There's no excuse I will accept.
:rofl:
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Two more negative reviews, both of which have similar points and are pretty well-written. Both are unhappy with overcaffeinated action and PJ's use of the appendices. They have some complaints about Bilbo too, though I'm not sure if their appraisal of book Bilbo is accurate:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/goodletter ... -steroids/
http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/sd ... e-hobbit-1

Down to 64% on Rotten Tomatoes!
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

And here is a review from someone who loved the 48fps, but hated the movie:
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/cult ... picks=true
The best way to watch this footage is at a rate of precisely zero frames per second.
(I'm sorry, but that's funny)

I think all combinations have been covered now.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:rofl:
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

A local review here in Utah from KSL by Travis Poppleton on "5 Reasons The Hobbit shouldn't be 3 movies." Basically, it should be one movie and then lists some of his favorite parts stating the Riddle Games is the best part of the movie.

Here is the link
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Tomatoes well past their best before date round-up: All 66% Top 43% Fan 81%

So All and Top are no longer converging, they are both falling. However, Fan is a respectable score, though perhaps not as high as we might have expected. I fully expect the fan score to rise with repeat viewings, not so much because the negatives will be diluted as more ratings are added, but because the people who likely saw this thing in the first 24 hours of its release are the uber fans... and geeks seem to be harder on the objects of our affection than the general population is. In other words, I'm guessing people will like it better the second time around (and some have already said as much).
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I think there should be a site for rating critics. I guarantee few are fresh. :D I don't mind when people disagree with my opinion (I believe everyone is entitled to be wrong about something ;) ) but I do mind when vapid, lazy, meme-ridden meanderings are passed off as actual criticism.

I was just looking over at Ebert's site, and caught this about Skyfall:
"Skyfall" is a theatrical film in the same way that its director, Sam Mendes, is a theatrical filmmaker. That is, its approach to organizing space for an audience (the camera lens) is noticeably stagey. I mean that in a "value-neutral" way. I just mean the frame is frequently used as a proscenium and the images are action-tableaux deployed for a crowd -- whether it's the designated audience surrogates in the movie (bystanders or designated dramatis personae), or the viewers in the seats with the cup-holders. That's not to say it's uncinematic (it's photographed by the great Roger Deakins!), but many of the set-pieces in "Skyfall" are conceived and presented as staged performance pieces.
It goes on in that vein, with appropriate but not excessive snark, for a while. It's an essay about the movie, written by someone who has seen thousands, and understands the possibilities.

Now, pick a random no-name critic or three from RT's "top" list. They pay big money for that designation, by the way. They sort them selves into the real and the poser in little time.

But even some of the real ones are missing the HFR boat. I said before there were echoes of the vinyl/CD (or more generally, analog/digital) shift in it, but really it's more like the reaction to the first "talkies." It's circling the wagons against an existential threat to a particular approach to an art form that has reached its technological twilight, and it's both sad and predictable.