The Cinemacon footage

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:x
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
eborr

Post by eborr »

The subject of film set versus natural environments is an interesting one, to my mind on of the reasons that Fellowship is so much better as a film than the Return of the King is that so much of ROTK has a "filmset" feel to it,
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Voronwë the Faithful

Another article in which Jackson talks about the controversy.

Peter Jackson Responds to 'Hobbit' Footage Critics, Explains 48-Frames Strategy
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

One of the key points in the Hollywood Reporter article seems to be this:
Jackson explained that his original The Lord of the Rings used various postproduction techniques to create a certain look for the movies, including "extensive" digital color grading, "added texture, and we took out highlights."
'We'll do the same with The Hobbit, to make it consistent and give it the feeling of "otherworldliness“ to get the mood, the tone, the feel of the different scenes,' he said. 'We are certainly going to experiment with different finishing techniques to give the 48 frames a look that is more organic. But that work isn't due to start until we wrap photography in July (both Hobbit films are being shot simultaneously)."
Which, (since I am ambivalent about the whole 24vs48fps debate, not having the technical understanding to form an opinion either way) is somewhat comforting...I think.

I haven't been reading the feedback in-depth, but I presume the unfinished footage shown at CinemaCon was done intentionally because the professional/industry delegates were supposed to be able to see past the rough edges. Are all the negative reviews simply from those who are unable to see the potential after it has been "cleaned up?" or are the professionals divided also?
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Dave_LF wrote:The idea of rabbits pulling a sled is consistent with the tone of the book, IMO. But why a sled? Is there snow? Are there historical examples of animal-powered sleds or sledges carrying a wizardweight across anything else? As a mode of transportation?
Those of you who read TORN too, forgive me for repeating myself. And whether you read TORN or not, forgive me for replying to myself. :)

I was bothered by the bunny-sled thing at first; not so much because of the bunny half (though that did grate a little), but because of the sled. Whatever kind of animal might be pulling it, a sled does not make sense as a mode of trasport through a forest. They work wonderfully in the snow, but The Hobbit does not take place during the winter.

But snow can be found year round in certain places. In certain northerly places that is, like, say, Angmar, where certain wraiths fought and unlived. So, since it explains two things at once, I am now of the opinion that the Nazgûl-tombs will be located in Angmar (or generically "in the north") rather than Dol Guldur, and that it will be snowy there.

If this is correct, it probably means that Gandalf cannot simply pop up there while the dwarves chill in the Trollshaws. Team Jackson's powers of geographical compression notwithstanding, I don't think an audience will buy it as a quick trip if we actually see the climate changing during its course. Unless they explain that he's gone for days or weeks while the company trudges across the lone-lands.

Edit: And this is a HoF exclusive. :) Carn Dum was located near Mount Gundabad, which does feature not only in the canon story, but in the films too according to del Toro.
Last edited by Dave_LF on Wed May 02, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

The dwarves did take their sweet time getting from the Shire to the Trollshaws.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

On the subject of posts at TORn, Darkstone did a little research and discovered that some of the bunny-sled/bird poop ideas are not without precedent within Tolkien's beloved Norse mythology:

Norse mythology is full of silly and ridiculous draft animals. Freya rode into battle in a wagon pulled by two kitty cats. (Big kitty cats, but kitty cats nonetheless.) Thor drove into battle behind two goats. Frey rode a boar!

BTW, Thor had a few adventures while having a giant's metal weapon point broke off in the middle of his forehead.

Also, Odin went around with a couple of ravens, Huginn and Muninn (Thought and Memory), riding around on his shoulders. As a result, his shoulders were liberally splattered with "Mistletoe", literally "branch dung", aka, "bird poop". Keep that translation in mind next time someone asks you to close your eyes so they can kiss you under the mistletoe.

Finally, hares pulling sledges is mentioned in Tolkien's beloved Finnish myths.
Seems the team has done some homework after all, and I personally think GDT was the driving force behind these ideas - remember the "Thorn"/Thorin helmet controversy? He got that from the "Thorn" rune (Þ, þ) for "Th"
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That's fascinating, Elen! Thanks for the link and the quote.

I don't know if this will be enough to reconcile me to the axe in the forehead, but it does make a difference if it wasn't something they thought up themselves because they thought it would be kewl or funny.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
eborr

Post by eborr »

Del Toro tends to be quite thorough with his research, so it would not surprise me if having found reference to giant rabbits is the finnish tales he would appropriate them
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Very interesting interview in Entertainment Weekly with Douglas Trumbull ('2001: A Space Odyssey' tech pioneer) entitled 'Hobbit' footage: 'A fabulous and brave step in the right direction' in which he discusses the application of higher frame-rates in "The Hobbit"
Believe me, there’s a lot of people racing around implementing servers that will go 48 frames for The Hobbit. By the time Jim Cameron has Avatar 2 out, I can be pretty confident there will be a lot of servers that can go 60 frames. But I’ve also worked out another invention to counteract this weird soap-opera kind of feeling that people are complaining about with The Hobbit, for example. You can conceivably shoot a movie like The Hobbit or virtually any movie at 120 frames, and you can embed any high-frame rate you want within a 24-frame version of the movie. If there’s hockey puck, or a fist, or an exploding car, or some action on the screen that’s moving too fast and it’s blurring and looking crummy, you can ramp that part of it up to 30 frames, 48 frames, 60 frames, or 120 frames, only as needed. Just for the moment of that action. And for the sequences that people — I mean, I haven’t seen Peter’s thing yet — but for instance, people said the helicopter shots flying over the countryside are fabulous because they’re crisp and sharp and vivid, and that’s great. It’s only when you have close-ups of Gollum or something that it looks creepy. Well, I think it’s possible now to give the director complete control over exactly what frame rate the movie is at any moment in time, virtually on any object in the screen. This is one of the revolutionary new opportunities that are being unleashed by digital technology because you can break the picture down one pixel at a time.

So it’s theoretical that Peter Jackson could emerge from last week, go back into his laboratory and lower the frame-rates of the more placid scenes with Gollum while preserving the action scenes that are most enhanced by the quicker film speed?

He could. With the stroke of a key. He could change film rates all through the film. That’s technology that he probably has. See, he’s shooting with a special shutter so that if he deletes every other frame to get down to 24 frames, it will have enough blur to make his 24-frame version look okay. I would assume that most of the release of The Hobbit will ultimately be in 24 frames, particularly because Blu-ray players don’t run at 48 yet. But I’ve designed the technology with a very clever idea — that I’ve applied for patent on — that you can use a digital camera and shoot at 120 frames a second, but if you want to get back to 24 frames, you blend three adjacent frames together to recover the blur that you need for 24 frames — and then you delete the next two frames to get back to 24, because it’s a five-to-one ratio. So I can make a version of my movie that looks like every other 24-frame movie ever made in history. It’s exactly the same, exactly just as good, and completely compatible.

Is part of the reaction to The Hobbit footage just a reflection of our comfort level with the way movies are supposed to look and feel? Might we get over this in time?

I think over time, people will get used to it. You know, many new TVs have frame multiplies built in to them. It’s something you can turn on or off. Some people like it, some people don’t. But it can seem really awkward when you look at some movies that what you thought was a beautiful movie like The King’s Speech or something, and it suddenly looks like The King’s Speech on BBC TV. It’s different. That’s fine to offer that choice, but I’m trying to bring to it some control so you can actually modulate it over time, just like you don’t want every shot to be bright or loud.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I think its hilarious that people keep referring to stuff as being like "BBC TV" as if that were a derogatory term. BBC TV was pretty much the champion of quality TV before HBO came along, and still is in many ways!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

That's an interesting point. Does that "BBC TV" aesthetic look good to UK eyes? Cuz here in the US it looks cheap. As I said earlier, I've been very curious for some while about why that is and if it really is just about what you're used to.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I was assuming they were talking about the BBC's long habit of shooting all interiors on videotape (and often shooting "exteriors" on tape in a studio with a painted backdrop). The effect was like American soap operas, which had the same constraints.

I don't think they were talking about the quality of the shows that were shot that way, which includes all the BBC adaptations of classic literature, and all of Doctor Who before its recent revival. Much brilliant, brilliant stuff.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, can someone give me an idea of what they consider "Cheap BBC TV". I look at Sherlock and think its pretty damn awesome!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

So do I. :scratch: Production values are way better than a decade or two ago.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I'm pretty sure it's some of the stuff that's a bit older. Sherlock certainly doesn't have "the look". I'll try to remember some examples later when I'm home.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Maybe they mean something like the BBC production of Narnia?

(I don't really know. I like BBC stuff. Those adaptations are old and probably fine for their time when it comes to special effects.)
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

The Hobbit, to make it consistent and give it the feeling of "otherworldliness“
Otherworldliness? Don't these guys know that the events depicted in Tolkien's mythology take place on our own planet?