Hobbit cast!

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Evangeline will make a wonderful elf! I loved her work on "Lost."
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

One interesting side note is that she used to be (for all I know still is) romantically linked to Dominic Monaghan (Merry).
Last edited by WampusCat on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh really? That is interesting! I think she is beautiful and will make a lovely elf.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

They were together from 2004 to 2009, says Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominic_Monaghan
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Lalaith wrote:I've updated the thread. No news on a replacement for Drogo Baggins yet?
Nope. Nor any news of a potential Prim (other than the rumor years ago).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

The interesting thing about the casting of Evangeline Lilly if in fact Tauriel is the same character as Itaril, and Saoirse Ronan really was considered for the part, is that Ms. Lilly is almost twice as old as Ms. Ronan! Ms. Ronan was born on Apri 12, 1994, making her 17. And Ms. Lilly was born on August 3, 1979, making her almost 32. That's quite a gap to bridge!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Well, I think that to play an ageless character, an actor in their thirties is a better choice than a teen. :thumbsup:
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Voronwë the Steadfast wrote:And also that he says that she is the "first true Sylvan Elf" they have brought to life. That argues against the idea that she is Thranduil's daughter (which her name suggested to me).
That is an interesting comment. Does it mean the films will indeed portray Thranduil and Legolas as being different from the elves they rule?
eborr

Post by eborr »

PJ has really pulled one out of the bag, Barry Humphries as the Goblin King, that could be a brilliant stroke of casting. Alternatively it could be a Kiwi dig at the Aussies, insinuating that there cultural attache is a goblin
Voronwë the Faithful

Dave_LF wrote:
Voronwë the Steadfast wrote:And also that he says that she is the "first true Sylvan Elf" they have brought to life. That argues against the idea that she is Thranduil's daughter (which her name suggested to me).
That is an interesting comment. Does it mean the films will indeed portray Thranduil and Legolas as being different from the elves they rule?
It certainly implies it, doesn't it?
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Right, and it also implies the difference won't be subtle, otherwise why would it even occur to him to mention it?
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Okay, refresh my memory. How are Thranduil (and, therefore, Legolas) different? It's been a long time since I've researched this.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Here's the original casting call for Itaril.
ITARIL – female, A woodland Elf, this character is one the Silvan Elves. The Silvan Elves are seen as more earthy and practical. Shorter than other elves, she is still quick and lithe and physically adept, being able to fight with both sword and bow. Showing promise as a fighter at a young age, ITARIL was chosen to train to become part of the Woodland King’s Guard. This is the only life she has ever expected to live, until she meets and secretly falls in love with a young ELF LORD. This role will require a wig and contact lenses to be worn. Some prosthetic make-up may also be required. LEAD. AGE: 17-27.
I'm assuming the same holds true for Tauriel, and that its the same character, just renamed.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Lalaith wrote:Okay, refresh my memory. How are Thranduil (and, therefore, Legolas) different? It's been a long time since I've researched this.
Lali, Thranduil was a Sindarin Elf, of the Telerin people of Doriath (whether he was actually born in Doriath is an open question). In one account, his father Oropher became the king of a realm of Silvan Elves in Greenwood the Great, which later became Mirkwood. Thranduil became king when his father was killed in the Last Alliance. The Silvan Elves were also Telerin Elves, but they early on abandoned the Great Journey, whereas the Sindarin Elves were the ones that ended up staying in Beleriand when Thingol went missing.

In the "History of Galadriel and Celeborn" section of Unfinished Tales there is an appendix called "The Sindarin Princes of the Silvan Elves" that talks about how it came to be that the mostly Silvan realms of Mirkwood and Lórien came to be ruled by Sindarin people.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, good for PJ et al. that they seem to be getting it right.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

We'll see. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, I'm not proposing that they'll be right at the level of detail you understand. . . . :D

Just that it doesn't look wrong at this point to someone like me.
Voronwë the Faithful

I understand. :) It'll be interesting to see what they do. I really question whether they will be able to go into much detail about these subtlies. It seems like it would be too confusing to non-book-readers, and that it would take too much time to explain. But with two films, they do have a lot of time, so we'll see. Still given the fact that they didn't even try to explain that Elrond and Arwen were half-Elven ... .
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

I wonder about that too, but since The Hobbit's time-to-material ratio is practically going to be the inverse of LotR's, maybe a lot more of that sort of thing will find its way in. If they retain the bit about her falling in love with a Rivendell elf, the racial difference could become a plot point.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Dave_LF wrote:The Hobbit's time-to-material ratio is practically going to be the inverse of LotR's,
A succinct and fascinating observation Dave.

Unfinished Tales keeps being mentioned in relation to this latest casting announcement. I wonder if PJ managed to get permission to use it after all? That would certainly help lower the ratio. And I'd wager be more pleasing to fans than utterly made-up material would be.