General Hobbit Movie Info (AVOID IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:On a less serious note, Forbes magazine has put out a list fo the richest fictional characters, and Smaug tops the list!

Smart dragon tops list of fiction's richest characters
I guess they don't know about Morgoth and the 3 Silmarils! Those have got to be worth more than $62 billion, right? :D
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:)

Meanwhile, two more bits of interesting news from Herr Der Ringe Filme in Germany.

First, a description (and picture!) of a prototype for the key that is used to enter the secret entrance to the Lonely Mountain:

http://www.herr-der-ringe-film.de/v3/de ... _86786.php

Second, it looks like Azog might be in the film after all. Following the news that TORN quietly reported that Conan Stevens is actually playing Azog's son, Bolg, not Azog, comes this report (apologies for the Google translation from the German):
The actor John Rawls (30 DAYS OF NIGHT) will play a role in the Hobbit. But the naming of the role created some confusion.

John Rawls

According to his agency Kathryn Rawlings and Associates John Rawls will be in fact the role of the orc leader to see Azog, killing the grandfather of Thorin Oakenshield. Azog is probably an Uruk-hai, bred by Sauron in the dungeons of Dol Guldur.

Confusing in this announcement is the fact that this role about a year ago even with the wrestler and actor Conan Stevens has been busy. This time Peter Jackson had even personally on his Facebook profile proclaims.

John Rawls in 30 DAYS OF NIGHT

The following possible explanations:

1) There is an error and John Rawls actually plays a different role, perhaps another orc?

2) John Rawls, is "only" the double of Conan Stevens, for example, the action scenes or lighting set up.

3) John Rawls actually plays Azog because Conan Stevens resigned (which is very unlikely).

We turn to the matter and inform you as soon we know more.

PS On the agency side we learn incidentally, also, that the stuntman Steven Davis as "lead stunt double" is on board with The Hobbit.
http://www.herr-der-ringe-film.de/v3/de ... _86784.php

This report makes much more sense when combined with TORN's news (which Herr der Ringe Film is apparently unaware of).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

You should tell them. :)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't speak German. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

"Gehen Sie mit mir ins Bibliothek?"

"Nein, es ist am Sonntag geschlossen."

Done and done.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Done, meaning you told them? Good for you!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Alas, no. That was a snatch of a first-year dialog about going to the library, and I doubt it's even correct after almost 40 years. We need someone who actually speaks German.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Peter Jackson Considering Dolby Atmos for 'The Hobbit'

Peter Jackson has told the Hollywood Reporter he is considering the new Dolby Atmos system for the movies. The Dolby Atmos format is developed to create “lifelike” and “immersive” sound and involves the placement of speakers all around an auditorium as well as across the ceiling. The system is designed to transmit up to 128 simultaneous and lossless audio channels, and renders from 5.1 up to 64 discrete speaker feeds, according to Dolby.

Dolby is going to New Zealand to demo the new system and if there is time, he is going to integrate it with The Hobbit:
“Dolby are coming down to New Zealand to give us a demonstration,” Jackson told The Hollywood Reporter. “Our particular postproduction schedule is reasonably tight (but) three dimensional sound would be fantastic. If we can do it I would be pretty keen.”
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks, El. I thought about posting that last night, but I knew that if you hadn't already posted it, you would soon. 8)
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:First, a description (and picture!) of a prototype for the key that is used to enter the secret entrance to the Lonely Mountain:

http://www.herr-der-ringe-film.de/v3/de ... _86786.php
"Image removed at the request of Warner Bros." :(

Primula Baggins wrote:"Gehen Sie mit mir ins Bibliothek?"

"Nein, es ist am Sonntag geschlossen."
"Will you go with me to the library?"

"No, it is closed on Sunday."

How'd I do? :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Perfect as far as I know, Tom! :D
Voronwë the Faithful

Well this is a relief!
She [Hobbit unit publicist Ceris Price] confirmed the battle of the five armies - the climax of the book - would be in the film.
Hobbit Shooting Close to Wrap

Was there anyone who had any worry whatsoever that the BOFA would not be in the films? :scratch:

Of more actual interest:
The end is in sight for the shooting of highly-anticipated Hobbit movies.

Hobbit unit publicist Ceris Price this morning said the second unit - directed by Andy Serkis - will finish shooting ''on schedule'' at the end of May.

"This is approximately four weeks prior to the completion of principal photography on The Hobbit films."
That's a more exact timeline than we have seen before, and a little bit quicker, as estimates that I have seen previously were that shooting would conclude in July, and this has it ending by the end of June. Good to know that they will have a bit of extra time for the all-important post-production work.[/quote]
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

And the inevitable reshoots and additional shoots that will crop up for the second film.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Well this is a relief!
She [Hobbit unit publicist Ceris Price] confirmed the battle of the five armies - the climax of the book - would be in the film.
Hobbit Shooting Close to Wrap

Was there anyone who had any worry whatsoever that the BOFA would not be in the films? :scratch:
Maybe someone asked her if the actual ending would be different, the way LOTR's was. :beard:
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Latest interview with Luke Evans in the latest Total Film magazine...
Are you tinkering around with the character of Bard the Bowman?

“There’s slightly more Bard in the movie than is in the novel. Everything in the book is definitely in the film but… [whispers] I’ll have my tongue cut out if I say anything else. Let’s put it this way – I shoot a lot of arrows…”
Also, John Bell (Bain) shot his last scene(s) over the weekend:

https://twitter.com/...s/201432126443364352
Today is my last day in hobbit land I'm very sad but can't wait to get home I've made so many good friends I can't believe this is goodbye!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ian McKellan has seen a first cut of The Hobbit! Is it just me, or does anyone else feel he's giving a politic answer here? It feels like he's not blown away.

http://tvnz.co.nz/breakfast-news/sir-ia ... eo-4873938
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I don't even remotely get that feeling. Quite the opposite, really. I almost wonder whether we saw the same video!
eborr

Post by eborr »

struck me that Iain was a good form, beingextremely positive about New Zealand, and also the Hobbit. One may have sensed a small piece of mischief when he talked about understanding the story when it's all put together, but we know he doesn't raet Tolkien as a writer very highly, but he was effusive about the performance of the "hobbit" and other cast members
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Voronwë the Faithful

A small bit of news. The premiere of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey has been confirmed for November 28, 2012, in Wellington:

Party in wings for Hobbit premiere

Wellington will roll out the red carpet once again on November 28, when the world premiere of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is held at The Embassy theatre.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I :love: Sir Ian!
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.