ARISE SIR CHRISTOPHER LEE (AND HONOURS FOR OTHER LOTR STARS)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

ARISE SIR CHRISTOPHER LEE (AND HONOURS FOR OTHER LOTR STARS)

Post by Elentári »

Just been announced in the Queen's Birthday Honours List:

A well-earned, long overdue Knighthood for Christopher Lee :bow:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8096881.stm
Last edited by Elentári on Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
eborr

Post by eborr »

couldn't agree more, a great example of an honour going to someone who has achieved throughout a long career in the public eye, and hopefully also in recognition of his war service.

Makes a change from the gongs being handed out to sleazy,greedy business men and one-hit wonder sports people, who normally figure in the New Labour roster of those worthy of honouring.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

The cast of LOTR has gotten another knight... In the event of Queen Margrethe II’s 70 years birthday, a good deal of people were knighted and Viggo Mortensen (being half Danish after all) was one of the lucky ones. The title given to Viggo is “Ridder af Dannebrog” which translates into “Knight of the Danish banner”.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Viggo - for acting Aragorn?

Seems... I don't know... "off"
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Hm, Viggo has done a lot of other work beside the LOTR movies.

Also, Margrethe II is a great Tolkien fan. :D
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yes, hasn't Her Maj had some Tolkien illustrations published?
~Diana Cortes
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

She has indeed; I believe that at least one Danish edition of the LOTR has been published with her illustrations. And, even the Professor himself has approved her drawings - in the 1960s, she sent a few of them to him under a pseudonym.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

But still, Viggo? I really think acting in itself is not enough.

But hey, good for him. :)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Really? Why?

Sir Ian Holm
Sir Ian McKellan
Sir Christopher Lee

Sure, Chris Lee did his bit in the war, but you can be damn sure his knighthood was mostly for his achievements as an actor.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

According to the media at the time of the announcement, Lee's knighthood wa​s​ for​ services​ to​ drama​ and​ charity.​ He​ is​ a​ leading​ supporter​ of​ UNICEF,​ particularly​ the​ charity’s​ Child​ Survival​ Campaign.​

A quick glance at the other two actors bios just says their knighthoods were for services to drama. But of course McKellen is a great activist for Gay Rights, amongst other campaigns, and both he and Holm support many charities.

Viggo supports the Spirit Riders Foundation and the American Wild Horse Preservation Campaign. He also donated one of his paintings to The Children's Clinic in Watertown.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yeah, but I'll bet it was the service to Drama that each of them will be remembered for.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I don't find it at all odd that the Danish crown would knight Mortenson. He's rather unique, in a lot of ways. He's also a published poet and photographer.

I'm not a fan of his at all, but he's as deserving as anyone. Particularly if the Danish Queen likes him - queens don't get much fun in this life.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yeah, but I'll bet it was the service to Drama that each of them will be remembered for.
Well, if service to drama is what it takes, then I know some message board members that ought to be knighted!

:devil: <-- made me do it
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Frelga wrote:
Well, if service to drama is what it takes, then I know some message board members that ought to be knighted!

:devil: <-- made me do it
;)
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Sir Padme... :P

Viggo getting this is well, whatever the Queen wants to do. It's good to be the Queen.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Padme wrote:Sir Padme... :P

:scratch: Don't you mean Dame Padme.....? ;)
~Diana Cortes
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Sir Sean Connery
Sir Maurice Mickelwhite (Michael Caine)
Sir Mick Jagger
Sir Elton John
and of course Sir Peter Jackson

I suspect that 'services to popular entertainment' is the baseline.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

One could be terribly picky and say that Sir PJ's honour is different because it was not awarded by the Queen/HM's Government...

Sir Peter was made a Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit in 2002, and has "continued to excel in and significantly contribute to the New Zealand film industry", the citation for his knighthood reads.
He sees the knighthood as "recognition of the collective achievement of our terrific crews and our film pioneers ... who trailblazed a path towards the creation of a modern Kiwi film industry".
Many would argue his contribution to New Zealand goes much further than movies...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10617918
~Diana Cortes
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Well, the Wilson government claimed they gave the Beatles MBEs on the ground that the Fabs had made Britain a whole lotta money.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Topically, Sir PJ received his knighthood from Governor-General Anand Satyanand at Premier House yesterday....
Though today was Sir Peter Jackson's day, he accepted his knighthood on behalf of "thousands of people".

Sir Peter was honoured at an investiture at Premier House with 13 other New Zealanders involved in the arts, health, scientific and public sectors this morning.

"I feel incredibly humbled and the truth is making movies is not a solo effort - it involves hundreds of people, thousands of people, so I feel as though I'm accepting it on behalf of a huge industry," Sir Peter said.

It was wonderful New Zealand was honouring the arts industry, he said.

video and rest of article
~Diana Cortes