The Tolkien Translation Game!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: The Tolkien Translation Game!

Post by Jude »

*cough*
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Translation party seems to have disappeared… or had when I checked couple of days ago.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

It's there now...

Edit: on a completely ironic note, HoF disappeared when I first tried to post this...
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

*THAT* I won’t be able deal with!! Will have trouble, I mean. You know. Withdrawal and all that.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Jude, when you say "HoF disappeared" what do you mean? Did you get an error message saying that address doesn't exist, or something like that? So far as I know, everything is in order and all paid up.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

It was just a temporary glitch - I tried again a moment later and the post went through.

And I just realized that Inanna's post is not the new quote. 8)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Inanna wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:16 pm *THAT* I won’t be able deal with!! Will have trouble, I mean. You know. Withdrawal and all that.
Frodo to Sam at the Grey Havens?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Lol. Here you go:
Working together for its richness is not our job and those across the ocean are not taught to their power and high knowledge level.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Pretty sure I heard that one on the news lately...
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Was it spoken at the Council of Elrond?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

No. Much earlier.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Well it certainly sounds like something an elf would say.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
elengil

Post by elengil »

Or between Gandalf and Saruman
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

So the meaning of the first phrase is distorted. Second holds.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Is it Annatar/Sauron stirring the shit in Númenor?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yes!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Can't find it in Sil. Is it in UT?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

It’s in the Sil.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Ah! Because it's pre-Númenor bondage:
[context]
"Alas, for the weakness of the great! For a mighty king is Gil-galad, and wise in all lore is Master Elrond, and yet they will not aid me in my labours. Can it be that they do not desire to see other lands become as blissful as their own? But wherefore should Middle-earth remain for ever desolate and dark, whereas the Elves could make it as fair as Eressëa, nay even as Valinor? And since you have not returned thither, as you might, I perceive that you love this Middle-earth, as do I.
[/context]
Is it not then our task to labour together for its enrichment, and for the raising of all the Elven-kindreds that wander here untaught to the height of that power and knowledge which those have who are beyond the Sea?'
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

elengil wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:25 pm Ah! Because it's pre-Númenor bondage:
Speaking of maturity points....
:devil:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!