Lord of the Rings Online going Free to Play!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Lord of the Rings Online going Free to Play!

Post by elengil »

narya wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:39 am Elengil, I'm on Duolingo, too. As laure-anna, if you (or anyone lurking in this thread) want to be friends.
My search seems to be broken as it brought up like 50 versions of that name and none of them were exactly laure-anna. Are you the one taking Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Hawaiian and French? Nevermind, I see Jude on your follow list so that must be you :D
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

OK, I followed you, and the other person who just followed me, which was probably not a coincidence. :D - Elengil!
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yeah, the other person was me, in case you didn't see my post on the last page.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:14 am Yeah, the other person was me, in case you didn't see my post on the last page.
I think you were the intended target of that post and I was the other person, because I had barely posted when she did so she must have been typing when I was.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, either way, we all now follow each other. :D
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Another kind of Following….

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

Yes. Now I have to figure out who the two other people are who are following me. I followed one guy who looked exactly like my son, and had the same name, but on much closer inspection of the avatar, saw that the person has a number of facial piercings my son does not. So I unfollowed him. But he's still following me. I wonder what he is thinking.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
elengil

Post by elengil »

narya wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:37 am Yes. Now I have to figure out who the two other people are who are following me. I followed one guy who looked exactly like my son, and had the same name, but on much closer inspection of the avatar, saw that the person has a number of facial piercings my son does not. So I unfollowed him. But he's still following me. I wonder what he is thinking.
I have what (to me) seems like an unfathomable number of complete strangers following me for no discernable reason. It just seems to be a thing. :scratch: :?

BUT YES LOTRO - Having quite a lot of fun and being well disciplined not to spend too much time but it's so nice to have another person to play with :love:
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

It is lovely to play with someone!

Lmk if you intend to logon tonight.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil

Post by elengil »

Oh I'm sorry I missed you. It was way too bloody hot last night, I went upstairs, turned on the AC in the bedroom, watched a movie, then passed out.

BUT I can play today at some point! I'll be in and out getting things done so I might not respond right away but I'll be available randomly throughout the day to join you.
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I actually conked off early as well.

I’m in an online conference the whole day today. But at night… after 10:00pm my time (7:00pm yours) might be possible. Let’s connect closer to then!
elengil

Post by elengil »

LOTRO is updating, but if you're still up for a short session tonight I'll be there soon
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ah. Great. I’ll be there - logging in now
ETA: to update change in plans. am logged in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

I'm ready to join in, but right now I'm reading the fine print. Does this term of service mean they are reading my computer's contents to fine tune their in-program advertising?
11. COLLECTION AND USE OF INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR COMPUTER
We may collect certain information about your computer, such as the IP address, type of video card, size of hard drive, etc., and monitor the software and data on your computer, as reasonably necessary to assist us in optimizing the performance of our games and websites.
It's the monitoring of data on my computer that concerns me.

The privacy terms state that they share gamers' personal information with "ad serving services". Have you noticed any additional spam in your email queues?

EDIT: I tried signing up and it said it was unable to process.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I created a new email for this account. I had intended to create one for giving it these places (I think I’ve forgotten it too. Unfortunately. My mind is a sieve). So I don’t know about spam at all.

What could it not process? The account creation? Or download?
elengil

Post by elengil »

narya wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:50 am I'm ready to join in, but right now I'm reading the fine print. Does this term of service mean they are reading my computer's contents to fine tune their in-program advertising?
11. COLLECTION AND USE OF INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR COMPUTER
We may collect certain information about your computer, such as the IP address, type of video card, size of hard drive, etc., and monitor the software and data on your computer, as reasonably necessary to assist us in optimizing the performance of our games and websites.
It's the monitoring of data on my computer that concerns me.

The privacy terms state that they share gamers' personal information with "ad serving services". Have you noticed any additional spam in your email queues?

EDIT: I tried signing up and it said it was unable to process.

I have never seen an in-game ad (except for the game itself, that is, buy this stuff in our store, which is unrelated to the type of computer I have) nor have I noticed a particular increase in ads that appear to be targeted to me as a player of LOTRo. I believe what they are referring to is when you start up the game it will alter some of the game settings for things like graphics to give you the best settings that you can reasonably play with. But I totally understand if that's a deal-breaker.

I have no idea about the 'unable to process' - process what?
was a 2020 planner.

narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

Actually, it says:

This page isn’t working
signup.lotro.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

That error message means:

The HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP) 500 Internal Server Error server error response code indicates that the server encountered an unexpected condition that prevented it from fulfilling the request.

This error response is a generic "catch-all" response. Usually, this indicates the server cannot find a better 5xx error code to response.

Which is not particularly helpful.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Unable to process the awesomeness of Narya.

I find the wording in the privacy notice to be concerning. In theory, they should mean game software and data. But the way it written, it could includeall data on your computer.

Selling your data to advertisers these days is less likely to mean email, and more targeted ads in the websites you visit. Like when you Google maple trees and suddenly see Amazon ads for maple syrup and wooden furniture.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

If you delete your cookies regularly, or use Safari, that won’t happen. The Ad following, I mean.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

If you delete your cookies regularly, or use Safari, that won’t happen. The Ad following, I mean. That is Irrespective of LOTRO. I’ve seen zero lotro stuff anywhere else