The Tolkien Translation Game!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: The Tolkien Translation Game!

Post by elengil »

Ooh... okay... So was it spoken to ... Elrond?
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Nope.

To bring it to the new page:

"But I stare at the sea, live on the gray coast and guard the shelter until the last ship departs. Then I will wait for you."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Was it spoken to another elf? Or perhaps to Ulmo? No wait, was this in reference to the rescue of Arvedui??
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

No. Looking at the Tale of Years, I'm guessing it was spoken long before that.
elengil

Post by elengil »

was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This would be almost at the end of "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age" where it tells of Círdan having given Narya, the Red Ring of Fire, to Mithrandir, saying to him: 'But as for me, my heart is with the Sea, and I will dwell by the grey shores, guarding the Havens until the last ship sails. Then I shall await thee.’
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

:love:
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
elengil

Post by elengil »

Poor Círdan. He really is rather tragic... I wish Tolkien had written more about him
was a 2020 planner.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Me too.

Voronwë's right. I'll just add that even though it's narrated near the end of "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age", it was almost certainly spoken centuries earlier, probably when the Istari arrived in Middle Earth.

Your turn, Voronwë!
Voronwë the Faithful

Interestingly, almost (but not quite) identical language is used at the end the introduction to the Third Age section of Appendix B, the Tale of Years, in LOTR. If you hadn't said it was in The Silmarillion, that's where I would have looked. Personally, I don't really think of Círdan as a tragic figure; I think of him as a Middle-earth Zen master.

Here's the new quote:
I'm going to get into training a little bit too.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

As the daughter of a shipwright (not to mention granddaughter and sister of ships' engineers) I was always fond of Círdan. And I share my family's fondness for the sea, though I prefer to enjoy it from the shore.
Attachments
sea500.jpg
sea500.jpg (87.6 KiB) Viewed 862 times
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That is just glorious. That reflection!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:31 am Personally, I don't really think of Círdan as a tragic figure; I think of him as a Middle-earth Zen master.
Not tragic on the level of, say, Túrin, but rather just the way in which he forever aids others, building ship after ship that he never gets to sail, never able to make that journey (until the very last). So, what, 10,000 years, give or take, he has to wait to go to Valinor (while ensuring others make it) which is like the only thing he ever wanted.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

elengil wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:31 am
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:31 am Personally, I don't really think of Círdan as a tragic figure; I think of him as a Middle-earth Zen master.
Not tragic on the level of, say, Túrin, but rather just the way in which he forever aids others, building ship after ship that he never gets to sail, never able to make that journey (until the very last). So, what, 10,000 years, give or take, he has to wait to go to Valinor (while ensuring others make it) which is like the only thing he ever wanted.
He is a Bodhisattva.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:09 am
elengil wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:31 am Not tragic on the level of, say, Túrin, but rather just the way in which he forever aids others, building ship after ship that he never gets to sail, never able to make that journey (until the very last). So, what, 10,000 years, give or take, he has to wait to go to Valinor (while ensuring others make it) which is like the only thing he ever wanted.
He is a Bodhisattva.
Had never heard the term before (had to look it up), but seems to be most fittingly applied here. :love:

Now, will stop veering the thread OT :whistle:
was a 2020 planner.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Back ON topic...

Was this spoken by a hobbit, by any chance?
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

(You definitely got me thinking about Círdan in terms that I have never done before, so thank you! :love:).

Yes, spoken by a hobbit!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Pippin in Gondor?
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

Not stated by Pippin, but he was present (though it wasn't stated to him). Earlier than in Gondor.
elengil

Post by elengil »

So... Merry in Rohan, then?
was a 2020 planner.