TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Snowdog

Re: TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by Snowdog »

There is only so much Discovery one can take so giving it a break.
got into a Das Boot marathon. Watched the director's cut of the movie, then got into watching season 1 of the newer series. The series isn't the movie but it is quite good. It sort of picks up as a sort of sequel as season 1 is set in 1942 after the events in the movie in 1941. Going to start season 2 tonight. Seasons are short at 8 episodes.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Watching False Flag (Israeli production) which is cloak and dagger stuff. Each season is one story arc and we've just finished Season 2.

And Vera - fabulous Brit drama! 7 seasons and still going strong due to the extraordinary talent of Brenda Blethyn.

And Vanity Fair mini-series from 2017 has just begun on our public broadcaster! Has inspired me to re-read the novel, which I haven't revisited since my teens.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I started watching Resident Alien. It's entertaining. I was glad to find that my stress levels went down enough that I can tolerate some amount of dark humor.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I rarely watch TV but someone recently recommended 'Ted Lasso' and both of us enjoyed it. Something lighter/comedy-drama. I watched it on Apple TV+, I don't know if it's available elsewhere.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Frelga wrote:I started watching Resident Alien. It's entertaining. I was glad to find that my stress levels went down enough that I can tolerate some amount of dark humor.
We watched the first couple of episodes of that on youtube of all places, and then it disappeared. :( We don't have access to any of the places it was listed as airing on. :(
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I stopped watching it. Turned out my stress levels were not that low. It's a hilarious show if you tolerate dark humor, though, and Alan Tudyk is perfect in it.

I tried the new Superman and Lois show, because I used to love the 90s version. Blergh. It's so dark. Literally, visually. All gray, washed out colors. It's all family drama and teenage son with mental health issues.

Big difference between a depressingly grimdark show and an entertainingly macabre one.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Watching two series:

Patrick Melrose, with Benedict Cumberbatch. My gods, he's an excellent actor!
This is dark, hallucinatory, drug-fuelled, fast. I can't imagine anyone else could master this role.

And The Get Down, the Baz Luhrmann drama set in the 70s when hip hop was overtaking disco. It's music driven and deep and alive and real and I just love it based on just the first episode.

Highly, highly recommended.

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I just watched Dancing with the Birds on Netflix, and I highly recommend. Very entertaining and subtly hilarious while also being educational. It's narrated by Stephen Fry.

https://youtu.be/i6po8dWuvCI

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'll give it a whirl at our next family movie night.

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Let me know!

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I watched that a while ago, it was fun. Birds are weird! :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

They are! Crazy, little dinosaurs!

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Has anyone watched The Way of the Househusband? It sounds amazing.

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I have not. What's it on?

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Netflix. I watched about 5 minutes and then decided I needed to wait for husband to watch it with me.

When I heard about it first, I didn't realize it was anime. It's a very different esthetic from what I'm used to.

But the premise is that the main character is this fearsome Yakuza boss who retires and pours all his intensity into being a house husband.

Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Watched a 4-part World War 2 mini-series called 'The Liberator'. Based on a book and shot in a live-action CGI mode, it was done really well. I enjoyed picking out the parts they used from other war movies (Dirty Dozen, Battleground, and Patton comes readily to mind).

Currently re-watching the seasons of 'Vikings' with my wife. I saw most of the episodes as they aired but there were some gaps. Enjoying the rewatch!
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Snowdog wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:30 am
Currently re-watching the seasons of 'Vikings' with my wife. I saw most of the episodes as they aired but there were some gaps. Enjoying the rewatch!
Did the final season ever air?
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Currently binging the Chinese drama/comedy General's Lady on youtube.

I can't even tell you what I love about this show, but it's hilarious and adorable and the main actress is such a boss, and the acting is surprisingly good (except for the somewhat over-acted parts that get annoying very quickly). I've got a subtitled version (I much prefer hearing the original actor's voices, even if I don't understand them). The clothing is very drool-worthy, too!
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:02 am
Final season as in Season 6 Part 2 consisting of 10 episodes, yes. All episodes were released to Prime in many countries at the end of 2020. Here in Australia, I had to wait for SBS to air each episode weekly from January to March. Now all seasons are available here on Netflix.
--Bilbo Baggins
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Snowdog wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:30 am
RoseMorninStar wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:02 am
Final season as in Season 6 Part 2 consisting of 10 episodes, yes. All episodes were released to Prime in many countries at the end of 2020. Here in Australia, I had to wait for SBS to air each episode weekly from January to March. Now all seasons are available here on Netflix.
I believe it's still on Prime! (I don't have Netflix). I guess I'll be catching that soon.