Doctor Who

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
samaranth

Post by samaranth »

The ABC is taking the unpredecedented step and 'broadcasting' this episode via its iplayer on 16 April at midnight. I'll definitely be up and watching, and hoping the server doesn't collapse under the strain. :)
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

OK since it seems that Doctor Who has premiered everywhere now, what do you guys think?
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Since the season is over (or almost over depending on where you live), what does everyone think?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I think they're three for three on Doctors.

I'm continuing to enjoy this show's new incarnation. Good writing, suspenseful stories (most of them), and the occasional top-drawer special effect—used as SFX should be: to make a setting more real, to make a wide shot work, to add beauty and visual drama. But the characters are, as always, at the center. The Doctor is still the Doctor. That's what they couldn't afford to lose sight of, and what I was most afraid they would lose sight of. I'm quite happy.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I'm not quite caught up with this season yet so I'll reserve final judgment. So far the new Doctor hasn't quite won me over yet, but he has potential.

Yesterday I fed my David Tennant craving by watching his Hamlet. :love:
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

Agreed. I also think this series has made one improvement over the previous years and that's the having the running arc with the crack in time. I enjoy a good one off, which they of course can do brilliantly, but I really like the hinting at something larger, that ominous quality running through. My one real qualm is Amy. I suspect that it's more the actress than the writing, but I find her so very annoying for the most part and much prefered Rory. I thought some of the beginning was weak -- since when do daleks need colour coding? -- but am loving it now. The last one that's aired here, with Van Gogh, really got to me for some reason. One of my absolute favourites of the historical episodes they've done, and not just with this Doctor.

Wampus -- I got Tennant's Hamlet on DVD a while back and completely loved it. A lot more comical than I expected, but between Tennant and Stewart I was riveted. Their performances are so excellent and so . . . not what I expected. I should go back and watch it again soon, actually.
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Added Tennant's Hamlet to my Netflix queue.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Hamlet with David Tennant was very very good. Got the DVD for my Dad for his birthday. He has only seen a few clips on youtube and loves it already.

About Matt Smith, he has totally won me over as the Doctor. The casting department really knows what they are doing. I agree with Prim on 3 for 3.

Amy at times she is a bit annoying, but it might be the direction she is given. I do like Rory. If I am right at least everyone has seen the Vincent Van Gogh episode. SPOILERSAlthough at this point Amy does not remeber Rory, since he died (which I was quite upset about) and got sucked into a crack. Does anyone think the Doctor should have told Amy she had a fiance? I sort of thought it was selfish of him to keep that from her.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Bumping this to remind Americans that the new season of Doctor Who begins this Saturday on BBC America. I am so there!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Is that last years UK season with Matt Smith?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's the new season you guys are seeing, also with Matt Smith. Doctor Who comes to America, etc. :)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Woah, in that case thanks for the tip! It appears its a simultaneous launch!
It’s time for American ‘Doctor Who’ fans to rejoice, as the new adventures of the Doctor, Amy Pond, and Rory Williams will be premiere on the same day in the US and UK.

It appears that Doctor Who fans in America will no longer have to wait months to catch up to the BBC’s UK broadcasts, as the premiere date for Doctor Who season 6 is set for April 23, in both the US and UK.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'm pretty jazzed about that. :D
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I thought I should put it here.
Elisabeth Sladen from The Sarah Jane Adventures recently passed away. :(

http://www.digitalspy.ca/celebrity/s7/d ... ed-63.html

(I was going to post abut more upbeat stuff about Doctor Who, but then I saw this.)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:(
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

That's just too sad for words...she was a beautiful lady in every sense. :(
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Tonight's season premiere was dedicated to her, as it must and should have been.

And . . . wow!

{spoilers}

This iteration of the show is really taking the implications of time travel and using them. River Song obviously loves the Doctor, and yet every time she meets him she's later in her time line and he's earlier in his, so he knows less and less about her. . . . It makes me think of The Once and Future King, where Merlin is living backwards, and so in the scene where we first meet him in the story, he's burdened by knowing that this is the last time he will ever see Wart (Arthur as a boy). Poignant ain't in it.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

The first two episodes of the new season have been mind-blowing. I confess that I have no idea how they can possibly tie this up. So many questions!

Love it.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Me, too. :love: I never thought the show I loved so much as an oddball British import back in the 1980s (a) would ever come back and (b) would come back as an even better show while still being the same show, if you get what I mean. Principles the same. Doctor the same (and how does that speak to the strength of the concept, that actor after actor can play the Doctor and he is still, instantly recognizably, the Doctor?).

They updated the special effects and any number of other things, but they managed not to update the Doctor into unrecognizability. That's what really astonishes and delights me. The same feeling is there as when I was watching Tom Baker's Doctor and Sarah Jane ( :cry: ) on their adventures.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

This two-parter has been astounding, and I love that they went to Utah. I have to confess that I'm all at sea (especially about the child's identity) so if any of you clever people could enlighten me with your theories, I'd be very grateful. ;)

The Silence are definitely more scary than the Cybermen (who have never scared me) - Daleks scared me a lot as a kid - but my favourite villains will always be the Weeping Angels.

Oh, and Amy finally made me like her, even love her, in this. I've loved Rory from the get-go.

Matt Smith is possibly the most Doctor-y of them all. He's wonderful (and I loved Tennant in the role and long before him, Tom Baker). Chris Eccleston and David Tennant brought something very human to the Doctor :). - with Matt's, I feel the quirkiness but also the fact that the Doctor really is an alien.

River Song is a great character. Anticipating the revelations!

But I'm still all at sea, so if you want to activate your spoiler-tags ... ;)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal