Movies we are looking forward to seeing

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Túrin Turambar

Re: Movies we are looking forward to seeing

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Something else I noticed but forgot to mention - the trailer amends 'jihad' to 'crusade'. Probably unavoidable when making a film for these times.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Túrin Turambar wrote:The colour choices are certainly deliberate and probably appropriate to the source material – I expect the different planets will each have a monochromatic look.
His prior movie Arrival also had a monochromatic look, like it had been drained of much its color so I suspect it's as him liking that look more than anything. I think in some circles it is considered more sophisticated or something.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

yovargas wrote:
Túrin Turambar wrote:The colour choices are certainly deliberate and probably appropriate to the source material – I expect the different planets will each have a monochromatic look.
His prior movie Arrival also had a monochromatic look, like it had been drained of much its color so I suspect it's as him liking that look more than anything. I think in some circles it is considered more sophisticated or something.
Fair point. I've only ever envisioned Arrakis as a drab, dun environment, so it didn't jump out to me.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Who cares what he did with a previous film? The only thing that matters is whether it is appropriate for this film. Which it is.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Who cares what he did with a previous film?
I do, obviously.
-The Decemberists

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote:
I do, obviously.
It can be tricky to navigate what a director likes to do in general with what they do on any given film. As you said, if he's used a technique before it becomes a bit overdone, which is unfortunate for when that technique is really appropriate it can seem old already.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

yovargas wrote:
I do, obviously.
I didn't mean to be rude, though as so often happens, I'm sure it came across that way. My apologies. Just because I don't understand that point of view doesn't mean that it isn't perfectly valid.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

This is pretty neat:

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Túrin Turambar wrote:Christopher Nolan's new film Tenet is now out in theatres, in those places where you can go to the theatre. I've watched a couple of video reviews now where the reviewers have kept referring to it as 'Tenant'. It feels like they're doing it just to annoy me.

The reviews have been mixed, with a lot of complaints that the dialogue is indecipherable. I'm curious to see it now to see if this is the case - some people struggled with the dialogue in Nolan's previous films, but I can't say it's ever bothered me. But we'll see. Eventually.
I saw this over the weekend. I personally loved it. Its incredibly clever, and having watched it my immediate reaction was that I wanted to see it again. It has that "Memento" and "Sixth Sense" vibe where you want to go back again with the foreknowledge to make sure it all still works. :)

The dialogue is definitely pitched quite low, under a heavy soundtrack, but obviously quite deliberately. My impression, FWIW, was that Nolan wanted to you to let the film wash over you on first viewing, and that its designed to reward multiple views. The only other film I can equate this to is Primer, but obviously it has much higher production values and is not as confusing as Primer.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
elengil

Post by elengil »

Colbert interviews the Dune cast/director

Still not quite sure I want to watch it, but it was a good interview :)
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Did I mention the new Mulan yet? Its fab. Gorgeous cinematography, and fabulous wire work (I actually don't know for sure if its traditional wire work, but if its CG, its perfect). It manages to pay homage to the animated version while being a completely new beast.

Epic.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

On seeing that local theaters are nearly empty, I decided I was okay going to see Tenet. Went and only 3 other people were in the room.

A lot of the reactants to the movie have been focusing on how confusing it is, and it is indeed very confusing. But a much more important question than "what is going on?", is "why should I care?". In my opinion, unfortunately, Nolan never bothered to provide an answer to that question.
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I haven't followed news about Mulan but I did see someone complain that it was filmed, and showed buildings typical of, a wrong region of China. They said it was like making a movie about Paul Bunyan cutting down cypress trees in Louisiana or Zorro riding out of a stone farmhouse in New Hampshire.

I *was* relieved that Donnie Yen was not a love interest in this one. I am a huge fan of him, but he's 57 and that would just be cringe with how young Mulan is supposed to be. The actress is 33, but still.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Frelga wrote:I haven't followed news about Mulan but I did see someone complain that it was filmed, and showed buildings typical of, a wrong region of China. They said it was like making a movie about Paul Bunyan cutting down cypress trees in Louisiana or Zorro riding out of a stone farmhouse in New Hampshire.
If that's their biggest complaint I'd call that a win :)
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Dune has been pushed back to October 2021 :(
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Considering the investment, it's not surprising they want to maximise the probability of big crowds in physical venues. They're betting on a reduced Covid impact on crowds next year.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Not surprising, but was hoping they might at least go for a (northern) summer release.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Not a movie but a show - but not sure if I'll be able to find somewhere to stream it but I desperately want to watch this!

Reservation Dogs :shock:

https://www.powwows.com/reservation-dog ... v278SYo0v0
was a 2020 planner.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Apparently there's a 5th Indiana Jones film in the works, scheduled for release in 2023. Maybe that's why this absolutely hilarious letter has popped up again! (It dates from 2006.)
January 22, 1939

Assistant Professor Henry “Indiana” Jones Jr.
Department of Anthropology
Chapman Hall 227B
Marshall College

“A key barometer of the literary climate.”
—The New York Times
Dr. Jones:

As chairman of the Committee on Promotion and Tenure, I regret to inform you that your recent application for tenure has been denied by a vote of 6 to 1. Following past policies and procedures, proceedings from the committee’s deliberations that were pertinent to our decision have been summarized below according to the assessment criteria.

Demonstrates suitable experience
and expertise in chosen field
The committee concurred that Dr. Jones does seem to possess a nearly superhuman breadth of linguistic knowledge and an uncanny familiarity with the history and material culture of the occult. However, his understanding and practice of archaeology gave the committee the greatest cause for alarm. Criticisms of Dr. Jones ranged from “possessing a perceptible methodological deficiency” to “practicing archaeology with a complete lack of, disregard for, and colossal ignorance of current methodology, theory, and ethics” to “unabashed grave-robbing.” Given such appraisals, perhaps it isn’t surprising to learn that several Central and South American countries recently assembled to enact legislation aimed at permanently prohibiting his entry.

Moreover, no one on the committee can identify who or what instilled Dr. Jones with the belief that an archaeologist’s tool kit should consist solely of a bullwhip and a revolver.
Read the rest of it here: https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/bac ... tK4Bzso-NY :rotfl:
Last edited by Sunsilver on Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Tee hee! My dad worked on archeological sites for many years and has long stated that the "archeology" that Indiana Jones practices is criminal!
I'm linking my parents to that. :D