Marvel Movie Madness

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Maria
Hobbit

Re: Marvel Movie Madness

Post by Maria »

We watched "Bloodshot" the other day, which is supposedly part of the Marvel universe. It wasn't bad. It did very poorly at the box office, though, as it was released March of last year.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I haven't even heard about it. Who are the main characters?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I hadn't heard of it either. I checked and it looks like it is based on a comic, I'm pretty sure that one isn't Marvel.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

You are right, it isn't. I'm not sure why I thought it was. :scratch:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Here's the latest Falcon and Winter Soldier trailer. I'm not all that excited for this one (both of these were side characters for a reason imo), but perhaps Frelga will be happy to finally see Bucky getting more of the spotlight. :P

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nifybT6FBO4

(PS - that big twist in ep5 of Wandavision!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: )
-The Decemberists

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

So Frelga, Falcon and the Winter Soldier starts today. You going to be watching or what? :poke:
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yeah, I will watch. :D
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Huzzah!
-The Decemberists

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Is it true that one of the Marvel movies was filmed in Edinburgh?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

If I recall correctly, Avengers Infinity wars had a few scenes filmed there, but I think it's just a few.
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Wasn't that where Wanda and Vision were living in the Avengers movie?

And yeah, I'll be watching Falcon and Bucky
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

:cheerleader: Watch party!

Or whatever the kids call it these days.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Where is this available?
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Disney+ only.

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Okay. I was resisting up till now, but I might have to get Disney+ JUST to watch this show.

Also, Hobbit reference FTW!

:rofl: :love:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
elengil

Post by elengil »

Okay. Broke down and got a month of Disney+ (may or may not continue the sub.)

Was going to try not to binge Falcon & Winter Soldier in a single day. I guess I technically succeeded as I did watch one episode on a different day so...

But now that I have the sub, I figured I could also catch up on several of the Marvel movies I've missed over the years. So I watched Captain Marvel next. Sadly, I see why a lot of people didn't like that one - it doesn't live up to the quality of where the Marvel movies were at that point. It wasn't bad, just not up to the rest of them. It seemed like it wanted to be serious and then near the end they didn't like how serious it was so they added a bunch of humor in that really didn't fit the feel of the movie.

They did the same thing with the music, too. They tried to kind of shoehorn in some pop music like they did with Guardians but in Guardians it fit both the context of the movie and set the tone from the very beginning where in this it just felt oddly tacked on and broke the feel they had set up to that point. Not sure if it was the writing or directing or whether - as my friend said - they just didn't care as much on a female lead, but whatever the problem was, it really was, sadly, not their best.

Still, was good to watch it, did lay out some of the history that came into the other movies so good in that sense.

Then I went back and watched Ant Man. I had previously seen the second but not the first.

I haven't seen any of the Spiderman movies, and eventually I do want to watch Hulk... just... to have seen it. I think there's one or two others I missed in there... Toying with watching Wandavision.

But Falcon & Winter Soldier was so worth it!
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Wandavision is excellent, but very, very different!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Anyone else watching Loki?

I ask because... either I've found a glaring plot hole, or I've discovered the "real" secret of the show...
Hidden text.
Hear me out - so there are different Loki variants... but... if the TVA is so protective of everything in the timeline happening as it should, and there is *but one and only one* timeline... how ARE there any drastically different variants of Loki (of anyone, really)??? If someone steps out of their proper place in the time line, like Loki taking the tesseract when he 'shouldn't have - and they are immediately hunted down and the time line reset... Or else! Because if not, the dreaded redline event!

There should NEVER be a Loki that isn't fundamentally "our" Loki - a female Loki with a completely different life!? A variant Loki who looks like he's hulked out?? Those timelines should never have progressed enough to actually vary from our 'standard' Loki to this degree. It doesn't make sense. Even if the variant evades the TVA for a while, it doesn't make sense to have such a massive difference in who the variants are... They should be identical to our Loki up to *one single event* and then they should be dragged out of that timeline and the timeline reset (though I also question why do they even bother taking the variant out, why not just reset them along with the rest of the timeline?)

UNLESS... there actually ARE other parallel(ish) timelines and rather than preserving one set timeline, each of the multiple timeline has its own limits and variants, and the really big problems happen when variants somehow jump between timelines?? maybe??? Either this is a massive plot hole, or this is the actual plot - that there really isn't one 'sacred' timeline, that there are many, just very tightly controlled.
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I haven't seen Loki. But have you seen the Hawkeye trailer!?!

Looks like Disney is giving comic book fans the Fraction Hawkeye they've wanted for so long. I like the MCU Hawkeye just fine, but this looks marvelous.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yeah, just looks like good fun.