Marvel Movie Madness

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Marvel Movie Madness

Post by elengil »

Had not heard of the Hawkeye trailer yet - ran to watch. Got serious Hawkeye & Katniss vibes :D
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

20211019_112512.jpg
20211019_112512.jpg (168.51 KiB) Viewed 4392 times
Almost put this in the Seventh Quarter thread.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

For Chris Evans fans: Chris Evans scoops People magazine’s ‘Sexiest Man Alive’ 2021 title

https://pagesix.com/2021/11/04/chris-ev ... ClMWiaAvbk

:D :D :D

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Increase in per-ticket prices?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Even so, are that many people going to a crowded theater? You would catch me dead doing so, even if the new Silmarillion move was coming out.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I tried to find statistics on how many people, and wasn’t able to.

On the one hand, I don’t think you and I are representative of the population? On the other hand I have flown with a very high number of people for times much longer than a movie, multiple times this year - so, how different is a movie?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Inanna wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:26 am Increase in per-ticket prices?
What's happening with movies here is they won't sell you snacks or drinks to take into the theater anymore, but there's a $5 voucher included in the ticket price which you can exchange for food or drink after the movie is over.

Unless the movie is something like Avatar with drop-dead-gorgeous 3D visuals, I'm like Voronwë. I'll watch it at home. And with all the new pay-per-view services, you don't have to wait very long to be able to do that anymore.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Inanna wrote:I tried to find statistics on how many people, and wasn’t able to.

On the one hand, I don’t think you and I are representative of the population? On the other hand I have flown with a very high number of people for times much longer than a movie, multiple times this year - so, how different is a movie?
Airplanes supposedly have hospital grade filtration. Also in the pandemic surge, I expect most people are on the plane because they have to be. No one *has* to be in the theater.

Son watched Dune in theater, and he said it was pretty empty. That was before Omicron and as Delta was waning, so it was not an entirely reckless choice, but not one I was thrilled about.

I did watch the Black Widow, ironically, on the plane.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I really wanted to like Hawkeye. And there were many bright spots and nods to comic books. I just found Kate unbearably annoying.

On the bright side, Florence Pugh was great as Yelena, and the Tracksuit Mafia stole the show.

And apparently Maya gets he own series?

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We finally signed up for Disney +, dialed down the resolution to where our slow-poke satellite connection could handle it (about DVD quality) and have started catching up on the MCU.

We actually ended up bingewatching Wandavision, despite initial negative impressions. It gets more compelling after about episode 3.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We quit "Black Widow" after about a half hour. I didn't know that non-stop action could be boring.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We watched Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3 this weekend.
I was underwhelmed.
I kept glancing at the clock and wondering how much time was left.
I'm not sure why I didn't much care for it, but it seemed like they were just going through the motions of movie making. Lots of decisions by characters didn't make sense and seemed to be thrown in there just to complicate things.

If they make another one, I doubt we'll even bother watching it.