The Expanse

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Maria
Hobbit

Re: The Expanse

Post by Maria »

I'm really not liking the Draper osgilliation either.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Controversial opinion: The Expanse Season 4 is far better than the book its based on.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Huh. I should watch.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote:Huh. I should watch.
Me, too. Especially since I was gifted seasons 1-3 for Christmas and haven't even taken off the plastic yet. :whistle:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I dipped back in. Feeling hooked again. :D
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well yay, and dammit in equal measure

https://deadline.com/2020/11/the-expans ... 234621032/

Good that we're getting another season, bad that its the final season (presuming the last 3 books are set too far in the future to be practical)

Also really annoying that the actor who played Alex has been dropped due to harassment claims. (To be clear, I'm not diminishing the claims or saying they're not valid, as I have no idea. I'm just disappointed either way)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Season 5 just dropped on Netflix
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Huh?
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Do you mean dropped onto Netflix or dropped off of Netflix?

Either way, I just checked and Canadian Netflix doesn't have any season of The Expanse.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Dropped onto... and actually I just realised its not Netflix, its Amazon Prime. I just happen to run both from the same box. Sorry for the confusion.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I'm rather late to the party, but I just finished binge watching all 5 seasons, right after I retired and my hubby "accidentally" signed up for Amazon Prime (long story). Now I need to read all books. Book One is at the library, awaiting.

The latest I've heard is that Season 6 will come out December 2021 or later, on Amazon Prime.

:abducted:
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We never got back into it. We didn't like what they were doing with Bobby Draper's character and quit watching.

edit: That's the hazard of reading the books first.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Best Series on Telly.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I quite liked it. I have to get back to it….

I left it before Mao’s move was discovered, I think. Yeah, still inside the gates near that blue ball.
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

Good thing I'm retired and can binge read! Here's a summary of my thoughts on the series of books and TV shows, without spoilers:

I've finished books 1 (Leviathan Wakes), 2 (Caliban's War), 3 (Abaddon's Gate), 5 (Nemesis Games), and 6 (Babylon's Ashes). Still waiting for book 4 (Cibola Burn) on hold at the library. Together, these 6 books cover a time line of a period of months (in the TV series) and years (in the books), and book 6 wraps things up fairly neatly, so I'm hoping the TV series season 6, due out in December (and only 6 episodes long) will do the same.

I have read several short stories and novellas that help provide back story for some of the characters, and are incorporated into the TV series: Drive (about the discovery of the Epstein Drive), The Churn (Amos's back story), and Gods of Risk (about Bobby's wayward nephew, with a different treatment than the TV show, but gives a glimpse of life on Mars). There's also quite a bit of material in the TV shows that was not in the books, and visa versa. My son likens the TV shows to fan-fic of the books - same characters, but slightly different adventures. The major character arcs and themes are the same, though.

I can access these novels and novellas thru the Libby app, using my local library card. I don't know how I missed using Libby before. Perhaps it was a difficult interface when I first tried, but now all I do is sign into my library website with my library card number, find the book I want in the on-line catalog, and click on a button or two to reserve a paper or electronic version. When the electronic version is available (sometimes immediately), I get a notification, click on it, and it's there in my phone. Instant gratification! And it's free! And it doesn't fill my house with books I haven't yet read, because the download disappears after a few weeks! And I don't have to hop on my bike and go to the library! I can change the font (san serif, sepia and really large size for me), and background color. I thought I would miss curling up with a several-pound, full-sized, hard-bound book, but really, my phone with a large, easy-on-the-eyes font is more enjoyable to read, and it's always available to whip out and read a few pages at a time. And it's more likely to be in my back pocket than a book or Kindle.

The last 3 books are 7 (Persepolis Rising), 8 (Tiamat's Wrath), and 9 (Leviathan Falls, to be released November 2021). They cover events 30 years later, so some of the characters are the same, but it's a separate story arc for them. I plan to read these next. A compendium of the novellas (the three I mentioned, plus 4 I have not been able to get my hands on, and one new one) is expected out in March 2022.

As I said, I don't want to be spoilerish, but if you haven't read the books or seen the series, or you started either and were put off early on, I suggest a revisit. I am not normally a fan of military sci fi, and I know next to nothing about the current military (most of my knowledge is WWII, via my dad's innumerous stories of his service as an engineer on various merchant marine and navy ships), but these books are just so well written. They are world building on a grand scale. When the POV character enters the room, there is a mention of the smells and sounds that the air recyclers put out (each time it is something different, not repetitious), the way the gravity and Coriolis pulls on the body, and so many little things that immerse me in the off-world experience. In the TV series, there is an emphasis on liquids - everyone is drinking water, coffee or booze, to remind you that water is not something to be taken for granted. Likewise with gravity, the click of magnetic boots, people casually walking on the ceiling, and newly dead bodies that just float there, upright, tethered by their boots, are jarring auditory and visual reminders that there is no "up" in zero G.

My only quibble is that the authors, while commendable for having a wide variety of ethnic and racial types populating the pages, only mention skin tones that aren't the unspoken default (i.e. white North American). When a new person walks into the room and is described as squat or tall or gray haired, the authors were probably envisioning someone as pale, pasty skinned or white, but didn't feel the need to say it. Of course, this is the case in 99% of books I read, but it is more jarring when authors make the concerted effort to describe the skin tone and likely geographic origins of a third of the characters, and don't with the rest.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That's an interesting observation. I've noticed with Rivers of London, where the narrator is a Black cop in London, that it always describes White characters as white, in the same way it describes everyone else as whatever they are. It's notable how unusual that is. I'm not sure if it's meant to be a point about him being a cop, or him being visibly a minority.

The Expanse is a point about not finishing books for me. I read a few pages and realized that regardless of how good it was, it was not the right book for me at that time. Maybe some day.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

I'm still obsessing over The Expanse. :D I just found the soundtracks for seasons 2, 3, and 4 on YouTube, and season 1 on Spotify, so now I can listen to them in the background while doing other things. Clinton Shorter's music is mesmerizing. Some of it reminds me of Phillip Glass's soundtrack to Koyaanisqatsi.

Season 1 - (on Spotify)

Season 2 -

Season 3 -

Season 4 -

I'm excited to see Season 6 in a few days.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I still haven't forgiven them for what they did to Bobby's character. We quit the show after just a few episodes of whatever season that was.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

You're missing out badly Maria.