Diana Galbaldon's Outlander

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
anthriel
halo optional

Diana Galbaldon's Outlander

Post by anthriel »

I just found out that this series is about to air. Squeee!

Have any of you read/enjoyed the books? Will you be watching the show?
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I plan to watch, though I have long been skeptical of Starz and am keeping my expectations measured... :)
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

I don't know anything about Starz. Perhaps it is best to have no expectations, then... :)
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I've heard the name, but that's all. What do you like about it, anthy?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

What I think I like most about it is the very detailed account of how a modern person would see and live in a period of time gone by.

Her main character is transported back in time 200 years to a Scotland before Culloden. That sounds goofy, and it kind of is, but the rest of the books have to do with real life adjustments to that situation.

I've learned a lot about historical (to me!) events from these books. My heritage is Scottish, and my brother especially is very well versed in Scottish history (lots of history, actually. He loves that stuff.). Reading these books has lead to some really cool conversations with him.

And while he hated "Braveheart" because he said it totally rewrote history, he has told me that my accounts of the "Outlander" books seem to be fairly true to actual events. That makes me happy.

Bah. I'm not describing it very well. But I really do like it...
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I do, too. I have the first five and really enjoyed them. But they're long and life got complicated and I stopped following the series, because I can't read books that big in five-minute snatches. Life is much better these days and I may dip back into them. They're extremely entertaining and they do feel authentic. The characters are solid.

I didn't know there was going to be a series. On Starz? I'll investigate and set it to record. Wheeee!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I read the first one or two books; they were a big, guilty pleasure for me, but I haven't kept up with the series. That's mostly because I lost interest, and I'm not a big fan of fiction, usually. They were pretty racy, as I recall. ??
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes, they definitely were/are. But to me, it mostly seemed integral to the story.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Well, that was probably in my jean skirt days, so I would have thought it best to avoid it.

(Honestly, for my own reasons, I do have to tread carefully with that stuff.)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Sure. I didn't mean to imply that I thought you should judge differently. :hug:

I don't mind it, although I don't write that way myself (for my own reasons).

The main thing for me is that they're good stories, they're not full of historical howlers, and the characters are three-dimensional. And they move right along for paperbacks well over two inches thick.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'm currently reading the most recent volume, "Written in my own heart's blood".

They are very long books, each over 300,000 words - and that's one of my favourite things about the books! I love a meaty book in which one may be immersed in the minutiae (LoTR set me on this road :) )

And the historical minutiae is really enlightening! I love the conflict of perspectives between the characters, and Gabaldon doesn't shy away from the nasty stuff, not even the toileting stuff (unlike LoTR characters, these ones fart and piss and sh*t).

The characters are wonderfully rounded (though Jamie Fraser occasionally steps into superhero territory which can make me twitch), and the intimacy is integral to the story (though, again, sometimes a little too-too).

The cast of characters is large, but they're all fully alive, and none of them are cardboard cutouts.

A really good series of books

Not sure how I feel about a TV dramatisation because too many books get clobbered in the process, but perhaps this will be amongst those which are handled properly.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

They sound like something I will enjoy. I'll hunt them down on eNYPL. Thanks, guys :)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I bet you will enjoy them, Inanna!

Impish, I agree about the advantage of size. That's something we've lost in modern commercial fiction for the most part . . . that feeling of having a whole world to explore and plenty of time to wander down interesting side paths. These days every single damn thing in the story has to be essential to the character's quest, etc., etc. I think this is why so many people still read Dickens, where a two-chapter osgiliation is nothing and you can just relax and enjoy the journey. Most of us don't live our lives in frantic pursuit of a single objective that everyone else we know is trying to keep us from reaching.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Primula Baggins wrote:Sure. I didn't mean to imply that I thought you should judge differently. :hug:
I didn't think you were. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:hug: Just wanted to be sure.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

The Kindle edition is only $4.99 on Amazon...buying it now. I'll see if I like it. 896 pages should do me for a 20+ hour plane ride home. :D
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

My aunt is absolutely hooked on these books. While we were in Scotland she made a point of eating at the World's End pub, because it was featured in one of the scenes in the books.

She lent me one, which I read - it wasn't the first in the series, since the time-travelling wife did not appear but was mentioned often. I thought it was good.

I asked about the series on b77, but I was strongly warned against it :P
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Mrs Al wants to know why they're not starting with Cross-stitch?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I'm sorry, Jude. I just didn't think it'd be your cup of tea. I could be entirely wrong, of course. It's in the genre I consider "bodice-rippers." Others might disagree. :D
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

I never really thought of them as bodice-rippers, but I see where that might have some truth to it. We are all made very aware of the loveliness of Claire's bosom. :)

Prim wrote:... that feeling of having a whole world to explore and plenty of time to wander down interesting side paths.
I think this is very well said, and is exactly the reason I like these books. I rather skip over all the intense sexual stuff... I mean, she writes it well, but sometimes I'd rather just tell them to get a room already(!)... but I like that I can just sit and sip at these stories rather than feel compelled to gulp.

I just like the level of detail she puts into it. When she describes the big Scottish Gathering in America, she really draws a picture of what it was like to live in a tent for weeks with lots of other people living in tents... if they were lucky enough to have a tent. I really enjoy that sort of thing.