John Carter (2012)

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Worse, the dialogue and acting made the Star Wars prequels look good by comparison.
That is surely hyperbole! :P
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yes, but honest hyberbole. In all the years that we have been posting together do you ever recall me saying anything quite that negative?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

After your review, V, I will avoid it even when it comes on cable for free.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

It didn't have Hayden C. in it, ergo, the acting was better than the SW prequels. :D

It's not Citizen Kane. But it's not a threat to cinema as we know it either. It's a popcorn-muncher.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Thanks, Voronwë.

Sorta thought so. :(
Dig deeper.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, I haven't seen it myself, but I did come across two very flattering reviews today. One was from the writer of the How to Kill Your Imaginary Friends blog. It does sound as if the adaptation is less than faithful, but enough people who are serious about fantasy genre liked it to make me think it's not a total loss.

Besides, nothing can make SW prequels look good. =:)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

I saw it recently on blu ray and thoroughly enjoyed it: in fact it's inspired me to read the books.

My inner purist is, of course, revolted by Dejah Thoris's costume in the film ;)
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Yep, they definitely got the clothing wrong!
:nono:

I didn't mind the other changes, strange as they were. The essential story was the same.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Aravar wrote:My inner purist is, of course, revolted by Dejah Thoris's costume in the film ;)
:rofl:
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

She must be wearing clothes, then, Aravar. *sigh* :nono:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I saw it on a flight, and thought it was quite enjoyable. They gave Dejah a nice upgrade by making her a scientist as well as a princess. My only problem with the movie was the one I had since I saw the trailer - the male lead did nothing for me.

The plot is patchy, but so is the book.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I still think The Rock would have made a splendid John Carter. When I am rich, I'll remake it. And then I'll remake LOTR.

Watch for it.
Dig deeper.
eborr

Post by eborr »

I thought it was ok too, I have seen many worse films than this, but then I have not read the books.b And yes she was way overdressed for the seaside.
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,