Comedy Central caves to death threat,

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

CC went for the worst possible outcome. It's not just that they gave in to the morons. The creators of South Park, John Stewart, Stephen Colbert, and all the others are the court jesters of our age. You aren't supposed to silence, or even censor, The Fool.

:(
When you can do nothing what can you do?
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

interesting reaction

http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=313170
After Comedy Central cut a portion of a South Park episode following a death threat from a radical Muslim group, Seattle cartoonist Molly Norris wanted to counter the fear. She has declared May 20th "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day."

Norris told KIRO Radio's Dave Ross that cartoonists are meant to challenge the lines of political correctness. "That's a cartoonist's job, to be non-PC."
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

interesting reaction

http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=313170
After Comedy Central cut a portion of a South Park episode following a death threat from a radical Muslim group, Seattle cartoonist Molly Norris wanted to counter the fear. She has declared May 20th "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day."

Norris told KIRO Radio's Dave Ross that cartoonists are meant to challenge the lines of political correctness. "That's a cartoonist's job, to be non-PC."
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I do hope this doesn't escalate to the point of taunting people to kill other people. I am more and more doubtful that a credible threat was made against South Park or Comedy Central...but in the fallout of this controversy, it seems more and more likely that some nutjob will take notice and take it upon himself to make good on one of these threats.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Ross Douthat's take in the NYT:
This is what decadence looks like: a frantic coarseness that “bravely” trashes its own values and traditions, and then knuckles under swiftly to totalitarianism and brute force.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/26/opini ... uthat.html
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I like the last line better:
Because if a violent fringe is capable of inspiring so much cowardice and self-censorship, it suggests that there’s enough rot in our institutions that a stronger foe might be able to bring them crashing down.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

solicitr

Post by solicitr »

The Simpsons subtly backs South Park: