Michael Moore's Capitalism: A Love Story

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Michael Moore's Capitalism: A Love Story

Post by Lurker »

SF should watch this!

I wasn't able to watch this during the Toronto International Film Festival but I was able score tickets to the premiere here in Calgary. It's in theatres now.

As a person who has been "indoctrined" to Capitalism :P I actually liked the movie. I really do. I have seen at least four people walk out from my vantage point but Michael Moore is a really good filmmaker that you can't help but be sucked in.

I don't want to say more I want a lot of people to watch this so we can start a debate and I've been arguing with people after the show and Princess has been apologizing in my behalf. :P I kept telling them they were sucked in by the propaganda. :rofl: :blackeye: ;) I was only joking but they took me seriously, called me a capitalist pig! I go I was a social democrat once in university (they call us soc dem at UofT) until they kicked me out because I was always the devil's advocate. The higher ups of the club like me but the members want to strangle me. :rofl: I was even a contributing writer of the clubs' "propaganda machine" err newsletter. I helped them research and write their IMF-WB handout for beginners distributed at the university. Seriously, I believe in the ideals of a social democracy but I have my doubts, too.
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I have never watched a Michael Moore film and have no intention of changing that any time soon ;). But glad you enjoyed it!
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I hear this movie pretty much levels both the GOP and the Dems because of giving into the lobbiests.

Lurker,
I am surprised you went to see this movie, since Moore is known to be a really liberal liberal.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

Yup! Everybody in this board should watch this even Mith! I'm serious!
FYI Mith, Jesus had a starring role there, I swear to God. You would have liked it. Three priests also had the lead role and even the Archbishop of Detroit! :shock: Man, I wish he interviewed the Pope as well. Shucks!!! So there is something for us Catholics as well. I couldn't believe we had something in common. We both wanted to be a priest and a filmmaker when we were kids. Well, I didn't become both, he became a filmmaker though, so I'm a bit jealous. :P

Hi Padme!
Yup, your comment hit the nail on the head there.
Yes, I was really looking forward to watching this since I like him movies eventhough I don't agree with him politically I love the way he uses film as propaganda machine. ;) ;) ;) I think I posted I was volunteering during the Toronto International Film Festival a few years ago and I didn't recognize him. He told me he was Michael Moore and he is with the film. :oops: I think it was Bowling for Columbine. I have his book, too. The movie is informational, sad and hilarious, man!

Man, I had tears in my eyes when he showed a family who lost their heritage (their family farm) and the bank even paid them to clean up their mess for $1000.00. WTF!!!

I love it when he wanted to make a citizen's arrest. This is a must see. I was laughing so hard. Talk about persistence. You've got to see this scene.

I was clapping and hooting when he showed the President was getting some donations from the banks. Man, the guy behind me was telling me to shut up obviously he was a big fan cause he was clapping and whistling when he saw clips of him. He never realized Moore was going to also show his dark side. Ha! Ha! Jokes on you pal!
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Lurker
thank you for mentioning that I should see this film. In truth, I rarely go to the movies these days except for the rare blockbuster of something I get dragged to for social reasons. I have one of those excessively big TV's with HD and would much rather sit back in my comfortable recliner, eat snacks that are actually real food, and not put up with rude behavior of my fellow patrons. When this gets to cable I will watch it.

Thank you for thinking of me.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

"I'm a millionaire, I'm a multi-millionaire. I'm filthy rich. You know why I'm a multi-millionaire? 'Cause multi-millions like what I do. That's pretty good, isn't it?"

--Michael Moore
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

Have you been watching Hannity, lately? :P
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

I loved this movie, Lurker. :D

I thought it was a lot more respectable than "Fahrenheit", for example, which (although I liked it, too) did admittedly have a number of frivolously manipulative moments.

The most moving bit, for me, was where the workers seize the factory to get their pay and get wide-spread support and succeed. I hope this was all true (I'd not heard of the incident). :)
Jesus had a starring role there, I swear to God. You would have liked it. Three priests also had the lead role and even the Archbishop of Detroit! Man, I wish he interviewed the Pope as well. Shucks!!! So there is something for us Catholics as well.
That was absolutely brilliant, and close to my heart, too, of course. :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.