Gerry Rafferty and Baker Street

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
vison
Best friends forever

Gerry Rafferty and Baker Street

Post by vison »

One of my favourite albums is "City to City" by Gerry Rafferty. The long version of "Baker Street" just gets to me and especially the saxophone solo and the guitar solo. So today I finally googled and found out something about Raphael Ravenscroft, the saxophonist; and about Hugh Burns, the guitarist.

CDs by Burns are available, one title that intrigues me is "Mindwash". And Burns is also in a band, called The Lonely Bears.

Anyone have any of this?
Dig deeper.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

No, but I did know Rafferty is a former member of Steeler's Wheel who were famous for Stuck in the Middle With You. He sang lead.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Yes, I know. And after Steeler's Wheel broke up, he was sort of in the wilderness due to legal reasons, record company, contract trouble, etc. City to City was his first "solo" album, I think.

Another wonderful guitarist that I could listent to a lot is Roy Buchanan. He's dead, though. :(
Dig deeper.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

"Baker Street" is on the iTunes mix I use to transport myself bodily back to the '70s. :D
eborr

Post by eborr »

I can remember a magic night in Cape Town where we in a pub - and the waiters delivered a magic performance of excerpts from the rocky horror show.

there was a girl playing sax in the band, and the real highlight of the evening was her performance in Baker street which was played after the RHPS had finished -
rwhen

Post by rwhen »

One of my favorite artists. I also love Right Down the Line, but Baker Street is my all time best from him.

I read not that long ago that in 2008 he was in the hospital for liver problems and disappeared, left everything in the hospital and no one has seen him since.

Anyone have any word on that?